• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rejected my delay repay even though I made the journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Last month I got a train from Grange-over-Sands to Uttoxeter, it was the last train of the day and it was cancelled so they sent me Grange-Preston Preston-Manchester Manchester-Stoke then provided a taxi for me to get home from Stoke. I arrived in Uttoxeter about 2 and a half hours late. I was traveling on an off peak ticket so I was able to catch any train from Grange that was off peak. Originally I was going to travel via Crewe but Northern sent me via Manchester.

Northern have rejected my delay repay claiming that my ticket wasn't valid even though it was as it was an off peak ticket. Is it worth appealing? They have taken more than 3 weeks to reject my claim and I can prove based on my mobile phone locator records that I made the journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Last month I got a train from Grange-over-Sands to Uttoxeter, it was the last train of the day and it was cancelled so they sent me Grange-Preston Preston-Manchester Manchester-Stoke then provided a taxi for me to get home from Stoke. I arrived in Uttoxeter about 2 and a half hours late. I was traveling on an off peak ticket so I was able to catch any train from Grange that was off peak. Originally I was going to travel via Crewe but Northern sent me via Manchester.

Northern have rejected my delay repay claiming that my ticket wasn't valid even though it was as it was an off peak ticket. Is it worth appealing? They have taken more than 3 weeks to reject my claim and I can prove based on my mobile phone locator records that I made the journey.
Do you mean a train at Grange was cancelled?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I'm assuming this was on 12 or 22 August? These are the only dates within the last 2-8 weeks where I can see that the 18:38 was cancelled.

On both days, the train was cancelled on the day and therefore there is no possibility of Northern attempting to argue there was no delay, due to it having been removed under the purported Timetable of the Day exclusion.

I would appeal the rejection - in all likelihood this is simply a mistake and this should see you getting the compensation you're entitled to.

thenorthern

Established Member
Northern have rejected it again. I may ask for more compensation than the rail fare now as they are taking much longer than they need to.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Northern have rejected it again. I may ask for more compensation than the rail fare now as they are taking much longer than they need to.
Unfortunately you're not entitled to more compensation as a result of them messing you about - but the option of pursuing the claim further, including ultimately in Court if need be, remains open to you.

AdamWW

Established Member
Unfortunately you're not entitled to more compensation as a result of them messing you about - but the option of pursuing the claim further, including ultimately in Court if need be, remains open to you.

As does the option of asking for more compensation, on the grounds that nothing prevents them from paying out more than one is entitled to if they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.