• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern strike timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
True but will there be a train from Leeds to Skipton on strike days? or is that by another bus (if so I appreciate any information as to which number!)
Pretty sure there normally is.

Bus number 60 to Keighley I believe, no idea about beyond there.

td97

Established Member
Despite no Network Rail signalling or maintenance strikes, coinciding with the RMT guard strike, it seems Northern intend to barely run any strike day services again, particularly in the North West.
It seems outrageous and very poor on Northern's part that there aren't even 2 additional trained managers to run an hourly Bolton - Oxford Rd shuttle.
As has become the norm, the upcoming strike timetables reveal north west Northern can only manage an hourly Manchester Airport to Liverpool service.
Meanwhile, eastern Northern can manage an hourly service on most commuter lines around Leeds, and Saltburn to Bishop Auckland.
No one has been able to provide an adequate response as to why Northern cannot manage an hourly service on well patronised routes including Bolton - Oxford Rd or Preston - Blackpool North. The former would require only 2 trained managers as stand-in guards, plus a dispatcher at Bolton. Omit Salford Crescent if it's problematic to resource. Deansgate is self-dispatch and Oxford Rd must already be staffed for the Liverpool service.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
They can't bother running anything to Stoke, Crewe, Hazel Grove, Marple or even Wilmslow!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hazel Grove has a frequent bus service to Stockport & Manchester. Better to focus the resources on the lines which don't have an alternative.

As for Wilmslow, doesn't TfW normally go down the route of making Wilmslow+ Stockport set down/pick up only on strike days?

BPN2022

As has become the norm, the upcoming strike timetables reveal north west Northern can only manage an hourly Manchester Airport to Liverpool service.
Meanwhile, eastern Northern can manage an hourly service on most commuter lines around Leeds, and Saltburn to Bishop Auckland.
No one has been able to provide an adequate response as to why Northern cannot manage an hourly service on well patronised routes including Bolton - Oxford Rd or Preston - Blackpool North. The former would require only 2 trained managers as stand-in guards, plus a dispatcher at Bolton. Omit Salford Crescent if it's problematic to resource. Deansgate is self-dispatch and Oxford Rd must already be staffed for the Liverpool service.
Overcrowding concerns on Blackpool route if very limited service surely? Particularly in the summer.

td97

Established Member
Overcrowding concerns on Blackpool route if very limited service surely? Particularly in the summer.
Same is true of the Manchester Airport airport to Liverpool service that does run.

317 forever

Established Member
On August 26th I'm due to catch a coach from Manchester at 8.15am and am due to arrive back at 7.30pm.

Based on the last strike timetables, is there likely to be a suitable trains from East Didsbury or Stockport to Manchester in time for my coach, and back from Manchester sufficiently late? I believe TfW Rail is not on strike and that the Northern service from Manchester Airport to Liverpool did usually run but not all day.

As a last resort I could use the tram but doubt there will necessarily be room to get on, at least in the evening.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
On August 26th I'm due to catch a coach from Manchester at 8.15am and am due to arrive back at 7.30pm.

Based on the last strike timetables, is there likely to be a suitable trains from East Didsbury or Stockport to Manchester in time for my coach, and back from Manchester sufficiently late? I believe TfW Rail is not on strike and that the Northern service from Manchester Airport to Liverpool did usually run but not all day.

As a last resort I could use the tram but doubt there will necessarily be room to get on, at least in the evening.
Have you also checked what busses would work well for you? Doesn't Stockport have really good bus service into central Manc?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Ordinarily yes, the 192. However, they are due to strike the same day too. :frown:
Oh are they, I never hear about bus strikes and I think the services around me don't get affected.
In that case the trams and few remaining train services are gonna be VERY busy.
Or everyone will stay at home but I doubt it.

Shotton

Based on previous strike timetables, TfW trains called only to set down at Wilmslow and Stockport in the Manchester direction (and pick-up only in the other direction towards Crewe).

Both these, and the Llandudno -> Manchester Airport services from East Didsbury also stopped early in the evening iirc.

Think the tram may well be the only option.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Based on previous strike timetables, TfW trains called only to set down at Wilmslow and Stockport in the Manchester direction (and pick-up only in the other direction towards Crewe).

I understood both TfW and Avanti services ran through Wilmslow, not stopping and there were pick up and set down restrictions on both at Stockport.

Ordinarily yes, the 192. However, they are due to strike the same day too. :frown:

Oh are they, I never hear about bus strikes and I think the services around me don't get affected.
In that case the trams and few remaining train services are gonna be VERY busy.
Or everyone will stay at home but I doubt it.

The 199 Stockport to Manchester Airport service might get very busy then. Plus, Marple line passengers might lose the alternative of getting to Manchester via Stockport on a bus.

Last edited:

Shotton

I understood both TfW and Avanti services ran through Wilmslow, not stopping and there were pick up and set down restrictions on both at Stockport.
The Wilmslow arrangement may have changed, as I know TfW trains did call (with restrictions) during the industrial action around June time.

Unsure on Avanti arrangements, but, previously during strikes they have only ran a skeleton non-evening service.

I would not expect the restrictions to/from Stockport to change for the upcoming strikes, and I would not expect an evening service to/from either Stockport or East Didsbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.