• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern: The Great Unit Cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Thanks for updating me :), when did 477 and 476 come down?
Release of more 170s could be delayed by the problems with the class 385 windscreens, which may result in them being blacked by ASLEF if a solution is not found.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
A helpful list. Did a 153 actually leave in April 2017 and, if so, where to? I assume London Midland/West Midlands Trains for the new Kenilworth service (not yet started!)

When it does move, it's to East Midlands Trains for the Barton Line, which is transferring to the East Midlands franchise.

_toommm_

Established Member
Currently an ex. ScotRail 158 stabled on one of the Slows at Sheffield along with the other stabled stock at Sheffield on a Sunday. Didn't quite catch the end number (eyesight is pretty rubbish) but believe it was a 158/8

Established Member
Currently an ex. ScotRail 158 stabled on one of the Slows at Sheffield along with the other stabled stock at Sheffield on a Sunday. Didn't quite catch the end number (eyesight is pretty rubbish) but believe it was a 158/8

158871 according to a post on Facebook.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Release of more 170s could be delayed by the problems with the class 385 windscreens, which may result in them being blacked by ASLEF if a solution is not found.

Difficult to retain the 170s if the lease has finished. If it's end of lease then they have to go

stu99

Difficult to retain the 170s if the lease has finished. If it's end of lease then they have to go
Could be leased to Northern and then subleased back to Scotrail for a short while, which wouldn't be too good for Northerns stock, but then scotrail would be even shorter if they did go before a solution was found.

xotGD

Established Member
This morning I viewed a 156 in passenger service at Leeds. I think it was 2E33 0612 Manchester Victoria to Leeds. 156429 if I remember right.

170477 still at Holbeck.

mic505

No, a 153 did not leave Northern for the route. EMT takover of the route is planned for August 2019. There is a rumour two cascaded 156's from Northern are to operate the route instead.

Last edited:

stu99

Just wondering if anyone knows when the 158s will be transferring to Heaton as I've heard May, June and December mentioned?

stu99

I wonder if anymore of the scotrail units will be transferred this year as a post from someone in scotrail on the 385 thread suggested that their might not be anymore at the minute??

bunnahabhain

Established Member
No, a 153 did not leave Northern for the route. EMT takover of the route is planned for August 2019. There is a rumour two cascaded 156's from Northern are to operate the route instead.
That was planned, now likely to be 5 Class 153s coming from GWR.

Batman

5 x 153's released from GWR to go to EMT.

Aren't EMT getting all of WMT's 153's at the end of the year as well?

They'll come in useful strengthening Lincolnshire rural services and Derby-Crewe.

But wasn't the original plan for them all to be scrapped because of how LM gave them very little by the way of maintenance during the 10 years they were with them. The body sag on them is becoming more obvious even to the untrained eye.

stu99

There were meant to be training on 158s at Heaton and the North east from April apparently but there will probably be a delay does anyone know when?

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Have there been any pictures or artist impressions of what.the Class 170s will look like in Northern livery?

Chester1

Established Member
Aren't EMT getting all of WMT's 153's at the end of the year as well?

They'll come in useful strengthening Lincolnshire rural services and Derby-Crewe.

But wasn't the original plan for them all to be scrapped because of how LM gave them very little by the way of maintenance during the 10 years they were with them. The body sag on them is becoming more obvious even to the untrained eye.

I doubt it will be difficult to make them last another year until they are withdrawn by the PRM-TSI deadline. Putting double 153s on Crewe to Derby would certainly be a welcome improvement!

Bovverboy

Established Member
I doubt it will be difficult to make them last another year until they are withdrawn by the PRM-TSI deadline. Putting double 153s on Crewe to Derby would certainly be a welcome improvement!

Out of interest, what operates Crewe -Derby now?

Status
Not open for further replies.