• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Trainee Driver - Manchester (14/03/24)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simmo91

Good luck, when is it?
Good luck, when is it?
Thank you! They're held between 7th-17th May, you get to book a slot of your preference. I wouldn't be completely disheartened if anyone applying goes past these dates though, as I've applied before and been left on "under consideration" for a while after. I imagine that's in case they don't find what they're looking for in the initial interviews. I'm nervous! I can write reams of possible answers with ease but I don't have much interview experience as I've always stuck at my roles long term. It's daunting but I suppose even if I don't make it this time I'll get some experience to help me along if I have to apply again. Good luck to you too!

SiTheTrainGuy

According to this there were 16,000 applications last year and I've heard there's been 4000+ already this year! That takes some sifting and organising for interviews. The pass rate for pyschometrics is around 1 in 3 so they need to put a lot through to get the numbers that they require. Hang in there, you'll hear something at some point. The main thing is, no news is good news.

nolypops83

Just make sure you know facts about Northern and have a good answer as to why you want to be a driver. They interview questions last year were competency-based so have a few situations in mind (take a look at the non-technical skills). The panel I had were lovely and made me feel at ease so be confident and passionate and look professional. If you've done your homework, you're on this forum so I suspect you have, then you have nothing to worry about.

Simmo91

Just make sure you know facts about Northern and have a good answer as to why you want to be a driver. They interview questions last year were competency-based so have a few situations in mind (take a look at the non-technical skills). The panel I had were lovely and made me feel at ease so be confident and passionate and look professional. If you've done your homework, you're on this forum so I suspect you have, then you have nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. It's good to know they were a nice panel, it's made me breathe a little sigh of relief after a couple more hours of prep tonight!