• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Trainee Train Driver - Manchester/Liverpool/Hull (2/6/2023)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fran1878

Daft question but can anyone confirm- once I begin an application do I have until the deadline to actually finish and submit it? So for example if Northern pull the vacancy from the careers page, will I still have until the 18th to submit as I've already started my application?

driverd

No - if the deadline is brought forward (it almost always is), you won't be able to submit.

Sorcerer

Unfortunately I'm still in the six-month bracket after failing the trainee process with Avanti back in January, but I'm tempted to give it a go anyway to be honest since it might take a while to set up the assessments. Any second opinions?

baz962

Established Member
Unfortunately I'm still in the six-month bracket after failing the trainee process with Avanti back in January, but I'm tempted to give it a go anyway to be honest since it might take a while to set up the assessments. Any second opinions?
You have about one month or nearly two. I probably would myself

ayaz2001

i thought the six months bracket was for that specific company only not including others. And avanti is enhanced, so this technically would count as ur first try at a standard level?

Owen2323

Am pretty sure the 6 month rule is set by the OPC. I know a lot of places run the assessments in house (Northern being one of them!) but I'd have thought the 6 month rule would apply irrespective of it being a different TOC. I was also under the impression that the 6 month period was from the time of doing the test(s) to being able to submit an application (as opposed to time between tests).

The best thing to do would be to ring Northern and ask and they can also advise you which tests you have passed to their standard so you don't have to worry about preparing yourself for one's you've already passed. Good luck !

i thought the six months bracket was for that specific company only not including others. And avanti is enhanced, so this technically would count as ur first try at a standard level?

Northern are to enhanced level FYI

Owen2323

oh wow, i had no idea lol, thanks.
so what tests would that include?

bourdon
m7sjt
vse
teaocc
TrP
vienna
cbi

?

Going off memory:

Bourdon
TRP 1 and 2
Tea Occ
VSE (is this the Vienna?)
ATAVT (the flashing grey square)
Two handed co-ordination
MMI (Multimodal interview)

They don't do the M7sjt and I don't really know what the CBI is I'm afraid (possibly a variation on the MMI?)

Interestingly they don't do the Dfft (drivers fault finding test) which some of the other TOCs who require enhanced level do!?

Please bear in mind this is based on my experience of doing the tests with Northern in early 2022 (I may have missed a few things and things may have changed since!)

ayaz2001

yeah thanks

VSE is visual search exercise (paper i think)
vienna is vigilance and reaction.
Cbi is competency based interview

tbh im quite suprised northern is enhanced, wondering what company is standard lol

how long did it take from applying to taking the test to getting an offer?

Theoffs

I have applied for this at Liverpool and still have the Avanti app on hold for next 12 weeks - I passed M7SJT and VSE with Avanti/OPC. I think you need to have a few applications on the go to get into the rail industry as it moves that slow!

BlueMike26

I absolutely would mate. As far as I'm aware Northern do it differently and they go DMI first and then psychometrics so by the time they sift/DMI/arrange pyschs, you'll be out of the 6 month bar.

Owen2323

yeah thanks

VSE is visual search exercise (paper i think)
vienna is vigilance and reaction.
Cbi is competency based interview

tbh im quite suprised northern is enhanced, wondering what company is standard lol

how long did it take from applying to taking the test to getting an offer?
If you search on here or go onto the OPC website there is a list of who is standard and who is enhanced (more are enhanced than standard these days I think and one TOC's enhanced can be different to another's)

I think I had about a 5 or 6 month wait after applying before getting an invite to interview but then the psychometrics and job offer and start date came in very quick succession. A lot depends on the TOC and the individual depot but anything can happen on the railway!

ayaz2001

found it, quite suprising, ud expect crosscountry to be enhanced

yeah ig anything could happen, mustve been a pain for the initial wait

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230605_135636_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230605_135636_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 125

DM1994

found it, quite suprising, ud expect crosscountry to be enhanced

yeah ig anything could happen, mustve been a pain for the initial wait
The enhanced has got nothing to do with the service they provide so I've been told anyway, Avanti was national for a while I believe. I think the majority are enhanced now so more fail therefore leaving less people to sift through for interviews due to the sought after nature of these jobs!

Last edited:

LokiB

Northern are enhanced.

ayaz2001

theyve brought the deadline forward, from the 18th to Tomorrow, get your applications in everyone. And good luck

correction, its now moved to today lol

Last edited:

TBowman

I’ve applied for both Manchester and Liverpool. I did apply with Avanti earlier this year but this is my first time with Northern. Good luck to you all :)

TK.

Anyone got an idea of Northerns Roster/shift pattern? :) I've done some digging on here but cant find anything...

Owen2323

A word or warning to anyone applying for a position with Northern - if you are waiting to hear if you're through to interview etc then you need to be checking the online portal you submitted your application through (twice daily really). Do not rely on an invite coming through to your emails. The quicker you see an invite the more chance you have of picking a slot that suits you (speaking from experience!)