• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Training Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I wouldn’t say it’s a negative outlook but more of a realistic one. As I’ve stated already I have options available for me so I’m trying to run through all possible scenarios. It really is something they should advertise though as part of the recruitment process.

And the people on these forums are giving you realistic context about the role. If you have other options then you should really look into them because it doesn’t sound like this will work well for you.

The recruitment process is very clear about the nature of shift work, and there are plenty of sources available - such as these very forums - where people can do research into the jobs they apply for with people who have done it for decades.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GeneralMao

Unfortunately it won’t work quite like that. What is a “later link”? There are people who prefer earlier shifts to late shifts that you might be able to swap too, but that won’t come immediately. It’s shift work and it’s fairly extreme shift work at that, so you’ll really need to think hard about whether you’ve appreciated the realities of this.

Not many drivers “do the same shifts and set days off” so not sure where you’ve got that from.

I think you are approaching this rather naively and need to realise you wouldn’t be getting any preferential treatment. I’d think long and hard about whether this is really for you because you don’t want to be miserable because you’re in the job and have to deal with the realities of train driver shifts that can’t correspond with your personal situation. I’d recommend listening and taking the advice from those on these forums who do the role.
Of course. It’s definitely a backwards system I must say however I am aware of what I am applying for. But to overall just say “No” I’m not applying for it potentially over an issue that may not even be an issue then that would be silly.

The shifts won’t be hard, the hours won’t be hard and that’s not being naive that’s just from other work experiences.

I know at least of 3 drivers who do have set days and preferred starts.

Thanks for the advice

And the people on these forums are giving you realistic context about the role. If you have other options then you should really look into them because it doesn’t sound like this will work well for you.

The recruitment process is very clear about the nature of shift work, and there are plenty of sources available - such as these very forums - where people can do research into the jobs they apply for with people who have done it for decades.
The recruitment process is clear after you have completed all tests and interviews? Because they don’t advertise hours/links on the job advert or the application form but rather say youll commit to working a mixture of weekdays and weekends which 95% of jobs advertise. It’s normally in the interview this would be disclosed in more detail.

Yeah completely and I appreciate everyone’s input, it has given me some much needed insight. Not enough to put me off. Im not saying I can’t do the shifts that they would advertise but I like to run through different scenarios just in case and what my options are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Of course. It’s definitely a backwards system I must say however I am aware of what I am applying for. But to overall just say “No” I’m not applying for it potentially over an issue that may not even be an issue then that would be silly.

The shifts won’t be hard, the hours won’t be hard and that’s not being naive that’s just from other work experiences.

I know at least of 3 drivers who do have set days and preferred starts.

Thanks for the advice

The recruitment process is clear after you have completed all tests and interviews? Because they don’t advertise it on the job advert or the application form but rather say your happy to work a mixture of weekdays and weekends which 95% of jobs advertise. It’s normally in the interview this would be disclosed in more detail.

Yeah completely and I appreciate everyone’s input, it has given me some much needed insight. Not enough to put me off. Im not saying I can’t do the shifts that they would advertise but I like to run through different scenarios just in case and what my options are.

Why is it definitely “backwards”? I can tell you now from what you have said so far, it sounds like this will be an issue to some degree. You can’t necessarily translate previous work to train driving shifts which again is a little naive.

Train driver roles are incredibly competitive and there are hundreds of people who would jump at any opportunity to get a role. The actual specifics might be spoken about at interview but very early starts & late finishes are par for the course and a bare minimum of research is needed to obtain this information.

Anyway I do hope you’ve found this all useful and helps you make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.