• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern trains Rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karissarose

On Moderation
Hi everyone, I have a question I would love everyone’s opinion why do northern still run those horrible old trains? When are they going to update their rollingstock? Also, I don’t understand why there are no seat reservations when the newer ones literally have them but they never turned on. Love to hear everyone’s opinions or if anyone has any insight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Liam L

Hi everyone, I have a question I would love everyone’s opinion why do northern still run those horrible old trains? When are they going to update their rollingstock? Also, I don’t understand why there are no seat reservations when the newer ones literally have them but they never turned on. Love to hear everyone’s opinions or if anyone has any insight.
I think your referring to the Diesel sprinter trains?

Northern has began tendering for new trains which I would presume will replace some of these older trains. https://www.railway-technology.com/news/northern-procurement-450-locomotives/#:~:text=According to the tender, available,design life of 35 years.

Geeves

Established Member
Seat reservations were part of 'Northern Connect', Northern's now cancelled sub brand that was to cover more of the faster longer distance trains. Currently no plans for the on train systems to be used at present.

The majority of the older stock has also gone through extensive life extension work especially the 156 fleet. It's unlikely they will be retired in the next decade.

deltic08

On Moderation
Which trains are you referring to? Pacers?
Since the refurbishing I don't find any trains, even the oldest 150s, to be horrible. Noisy, but not horrible.
They serve a purpose to get from A to B. I do not find the ride of 195/331s to be good for new trains.

Rail Quest

Can see this is your first post - welcome to the forums!

With regards to the question in hand, the North have been particularly unlucky with funding. However, as mentioned previously in this thread - they are currently researching a replacement for the sprinters.

I have the displeasure of using the sprinters regularly as my local line is served by them exclusively and they really do make a morning/evening commute journey feel like a chore thanks to terrible seating on the 150s (and not amazing seats on the 156s as they are too low down IMO); the hilariously loud engines on both; the condition of the units (very inconsistent, some much worse than others); the lack of air conditioning; the speakers being so muffled passengers can't make out what they're saying etc.

I'm sure there are many better commutes on Diesel only lines in the UK, and northern's use of 158s in areas must be a blessing to its users. I wished in the short term, whilst we're waiting for a new fleet, that Northern could procure 158s from operators that are about to drop them, like TfW (eventually) and even EMR I believe, to replace some of the 150s/156s though I have a horrid gut feeling that this will not happen haha.

AMD

To expand slightly on Rail Quest's post, there's not so much an element of being unlucky with funding, as much as the amount of funding that is required to operate the service. Northern is (and has been for a while) one of the largest takers of subsidy across the network typically needing in the realms of £250-£300m per year from the treasury to bridge the gap between cost and revenue taken in.
Because of this (and politics) there is less incentive to buy new trains as that's an upfront cost which is large, so Northern and it's previous incarnations have always had to get by with whatever is already there or can be acquired relatively cheaply (eg 319s for the North West electrication programme last decade).

Rail Quest

To expand slightly on Rail Quest's post, there's not so much an element of being unlucky with funding, as much as the amount of funding that is required to operate the service. Northern is (and has been for a while) one of the largest takers of subsidy across the network typically needing in the realms of £250-£300m per year from the treasury to bridge the gap between cost and revenue taken in.
Because of this (and politics) there is less incentive to buy new trains as that's an upfront cost which is large, so Northern and it's previous incarnations have always had to get by with whatever is already there or can be acquired relatively cheaply (eg 319s for the North West electrication programme last decade).
True true. Ironically, this lack of drive to purchase new stock will surely just create an even bigger issue as stock becomes older and more expensive to maintain. It's interesting to me how the North managed to get a replacement for the Pacers as a brand new order in the form of the 195s even if they were used to cascade the sprinters which, in turn replaced Pacers. Perhaps Northern only managed such an investment if there were no old units with another operator that could be used instead.

studio_two

I think it is the 150 / 155 (with the Square front) that don't seem to have been refurbished at all. The seating is dreadful. These run on the Penistone Line.

skyhigh

Established Member
I think it is the 150 / 155 (with the Square front) that don't seem to have been refurbished at all.
150s have been refurbished in several phases starting from 2016 - repainted inside/out, new flooring, new seat covers, accessibility upgrades including new toilet/lighting, new passenger information system, USB sockets for passengers as well as technical improvements.

wickham

Reference Post 5 above: Are 158s regarded as a suitable direct replacement for 150s ? They are a completely different type of train with doors at the carriage ends, they are not suitable for crush loading or rapid loading & unloading. The 150s of course have large double doors and are suitable.

AMD

It's interesting to me how the North managed to get a replacement for the Pacers as a brand new order in the form of the 195s even if they were used to cascade the sprinters which, in turn replaced Pacers. Perhaps Northern only managed such an investment if there were no old units with another operator that could be used instead.
That was actually politics working in favour of the railway (for once), under the aeigs of Patrick McLoughlin the then Secretary of State for Transport at the time of the awarding of the Northern franchise that started in April 2016.

Rail Quest

Reference Post 5 above: Are 158s regarded as a suitable direct replacement for 150s ? They are a completely different type of train with doors at the carriage ends, they are not suitable for crush loading or rapid loading & unloading. The 150s of course have large double doors and are suitable.
This is a good point though currently the 150s and 156s are used interchangeably on a load of Greater Manchester diagrams with 156s having the same drawbacks (I'm assuming) as 158s due to carriage end doors. If the 150s were specifically allocated to routes because of their design then sure, no chance in 158s replacing these units but for routes that see a mixed bag of both sprinter classes, I don't really see a reason not to replace some of the 150s if 158s become available given how awful the latter class is to ride (particularly on longer journeys like the mid-Cheshire line)

ReturnToSPT

Which trains are you referring to? Pacers?
Since the refurbishing I don't find any trains, even the oldest 150s, to be horrible. Noisy, but not horrible.
They serve a purpose to get from A to B. I do not find the ride of 195/331s to be good for new trains.
Noisy, slow, smelly, polluting, dated stock with uncomfortable ride = pretty horrible in my book, and seems to be the opinion of most commuters forced to use 150/156s

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Have you seen the condition of some of the ex-EMR 156s? Today I was on one, no heating, only 2 lights working in my carriage, engine isolated (other car and the 150 in the lead were running).
The seats are clearly worn down, with random stains left on them, and occasional blue seats mixed in with the reds (see attached picture)
Although might not exactly fit the comment I'm quoting since these weren't refurbished with the rest of Northern's fleet.
A seat on an EX-EMR Class 156 (156401), with a blue seat cover on the bit you sit on, compared to a red seat back.

It was much darker, being winter and all, compared to what the photo looks like, the phone just did its job in getting light in.

deltic08

On Moderation
Have you seen the condition of some of the ex-EMR 156s? Today I was on one, no heating, only 2 lights working in my carriage, engine isolated (other car and the 150 in the lead were running).
The seats are clearly worn down, with random stains left on them, and occasional blue seats mixed in with the reds (see attached picture)
Although might not exactly fit the comment I'm quoting since these weren't refurbished with the rest of Northern's fleet.
A seat on an EX-EMR Class 156 (156401), with a blue seat cover on the bit you sit on, compared to a red seat back.

It was much darker, being winter and all, compared to what the photo looks like, the phone just did its job in getting light in.
I haven't been on any unrefurbished 150/156 in Northern use for many years.

superkev

Established Member
Noisy, slow, smelly, polluting, dated stock with uncomfortable ride = pretty horrible in my book, and seems to be the opinion of most commuters forced to use 150/156s
Noisy slow and polluting may be true of Northrns 150, 155, 156 but the new CAF units sound to be shaking them selves apart.
You could tag the 158s prob the best dmu ever (air con excepting) with polutuling too as well as the 170s with the slow tag.
It seems to me the newer trains are the worse the ride and the less comfortable the seats.
K

Rail Quest

It seems to me the newer trains are the worse the ride and the less comfortable the seats.
To be fair though, even with the drawbacks of the Civities regarding ride and seat quality, I'd still take one any day over 150-156 and that's mainly because of the air conditioning and low noise levels. The 195/331 ironing board seats really don't bother me much, even for the mid-length journeys (which I'd loosely define as between 45m to 1h30m) as they're higher up than the 156 seats so for me, someone who is quite tall, I don't get back aches sitting in the 195s.

Clearly its all down to personal preference on that side of things but I'd be interested to hear what users of the Buxton/Chester lines would think if 195s started use there considering we currently get none haha.

Definitely agree on the 158s - if the air cons didn't have a working rate of 0.000000034% and they weren't put on routes that need far more carriages, I don't think I could find a meaningful flaw with them.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
To be fair though, even with the drawbacks of the Civities regarding ride and seat quality, I'd still take one any day over 150-156 and that's mainly because of the air conditioning and low noise levels. The 195/331 ironing board seats really don't bother me much, even for the mid-length journeys (which I'd loosely define as between 45m to 1h30m) as they're higher up than the 156 seats so for me, someone who is quite tall, I don't get back aches sitting in the 195s
For a bit one of the Wigan North Western - Leeds diagrams was a 195, and I much prefer the 195 to the 158s the whole route is now.

Rail Quest

For a bit one of the Wigan North Western - Leeds diagrams was a 195, and I much prefer the 195 to the 158s the whole route is now.
I suppose that makes a lot of sense tbf. The 158s are definitely stronger on longer distance journeys with few intermediate stops but you can't beat a 195 on a stopping diesel service compared to any of the sprinters for sure.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I suppose that makes a lot of sense tbf. The 158s are definitely stronger on longer distance journeys with few intermediate stops but you can't beat a 195 on a stopping diesel service compared to any of the sprinters for sure.
Also that the 3 car 158s are annoying to sit in, with quite low seats and little space to fit past the table's bar if you're trying to get in a window seat.
I hope the new trains come sooner rather than later, whether to my line or to displace 195 onto my line is another guess.

Rail Quest

Also that the 3 car 158s are annoying to sit in, with quite low seats and little space to fit past the table's bar if you're trying to get in a window seat.
I hope the new trains come sooner rather than later, whether to my line or to displace 195 onto my line is another guess.
Ahh that's interesting. I don't think I've ever been on a 3-car 158 - might try and get one. Lets certainly hope they come sooner rather than later before the 150s implode and create a black hole at Newton Heath :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ahh that's interesting. I don't think I've ever been on a 3-car 158 - might try and get one. Lets certainly hope they come sooner rather than later before the 150s implode and create a black hole at Newton Heath :lol:

They have the original seats but with a very thick cushion. This means table to seat is only a few inches and the legroom is even worse than as built. GWR made the same error with theirs.

ic31420

I was on a 195 last week and was surprised to find the front edge of the seat cushion fabric starting to look threadbare, loosing it's blue fuzz.

I don't mind the 195s, the seats are fine for what they do, I don't find the clunks a problem and half wonder if it is just you can hear it because the engine noise is less.

If I was an operator one of my priorities with 195/331 would be speeding up the door release and close process.

All in all for a longer run i'd rather have a good 158.

As others have mentioned a procurement process has started for Northern to Replace some stock. I suspect what gets shuffled out to the scrapyard will not necessarily what the public don't want, but what is the most rotten at whatever point deliveries start. Reducing the number of different fleets would be a priority too.

Corrosion is an issue for 150 and 156, not sure how the 158s are holding up under the Alu skin.

As for seat reservations, as long as I can get a seat, I'm not really bothered where it is.

The last time I had a seat reservation was about 2yrs ago on a TPE. When we got on our reserved seats were occupied so we just sat at the first empty seats which had a reservation for later in the journey... nobody approached us so we remained.

I think reservations are an unneeded faff and complication when UKR needs to concentrate on running a plain simple service right.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Seat reservations would be a crazy idea on trains that spend most of their days on local stopping services that are often overcrowded. In all probability, most passengers would probably ignore any reservations - and crews would be unable to get through the mass of standing passengers to try and enforce reservations. (Just as they are often unable to check tickets.)

QSK19

Welcome to the EMR world of what we have to put up with day in day out across the whole fleet. The 156s are a mere taste of what we are experiencing over in EMR-land. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I tend to get that route quite often because I like a 158.

The 195's are decent though.

The 150's suffer from having had everything refurbished - except the worst aspect of them - the appalling seat layout. Add to that one of them is wholly inadequate for the Hallam stopper, and we always seem to have one on one of the diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.