• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Currently on recently returned 158848.

Internally it has the new seats, carpet and tables but does not have the seat reservations or digital screens at the coach ends. Pics to follow tonight

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

woodhouse122

I'd just like to thank 507021 for having a change of heart and deciding to continue with his blog -You're a star :D

Andyh82

Established Member
I know many will bemoan the loss of the current seats, but that 158 does look much more modern, and to a layman could be mistaken for a new train and could be used interchangeably with a 195.

If anything the seat cushions on the current 158s are too thick, as there is often limited leg room as a result. The cushion and cover often seems like it doesn’t fit right as well.

dave87016

Established Member
Does anyone know if 158848 has USB’s ? I know that only 158845/849 have them and before refurbishment one carriage of 158906 had them

I know many will bemoan the loss of the current seats, but that 158 does look much more modern, and to a layman could be mistaken for a new train and could be used interchangeably with a 195.

Indeed, I have a lay-friend who daily commutes from Wigan to Manchester. She excitedly messaged me the other week a photo of her sitting on a refurbed 158 instead of the usual Pacer she grew to hate, "look, new train finally! yay!" was her feeling. I gently had to tell her that the train was 30 years old but that didn't really sour her views "looks new to me anyway" she mused...

woodhouse122

If anything the seat cushions on the current 158s are too thick, as there is often limited leg room as a result. The cushion and cover often seems like it doesn’t fit right as well.
I Prefer the new re-furbished 158s to the new CAFs ,i'm over 6ft and don't have any any problems with legroom unlike the unreburbished seats :)

158872 is at York this morning after suffering from 'collision damage' according to a guard I know. Nobody seems to know what it hit though!

superkev

Established Member
Is 158906 back?
I believe all the 10 ex WYPTE 158/9s have been fully interior refurbished with wifi etc.
Prob out of date but I have 23 of the 158/0s still left to do of which 790, 790 where reported here to be at Crewe with 860 at Bristol Barton road.
K

Cascade 150131, today on the hope valley line. Dried up sick sprayed all over the side and back of a seat, the whole DMS absolutely stank. Unfortunately the people that had come from Sheffield had a brain and the whole of the DMSL was full! :'(
It looks like it had left newton Heath this morning in that condition.
View attachment 75331
That’s terrible. With the current health advice letting a unit leave with that in it is a completely unacceptable. Did you forward this to Northern? Tweeting them usually gets the quickest response.