• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thealexweb

Has the plan changed? This thread has previously described all three car 331s heading east when possible.

Harvey B

Has the plan changed? This thread has previously described all three car 331s heading east when possible.
But won't there still be a need or requirement for the Three car 331s on the West side? I believe that NL Doesn't have enough capacity any way to accommodate 16x Class 333s and 31x Class 331/0s in any case

I've just seen from the Northern Trains Fleet Group on Facebook that 333001 has been reverted back to White Doors. When did this happen?

Last edited:

thealexweb

But won't there still be a need or requirement for the Three car 331s on the West side? I believe that NL Doesn't have enough capacity any way to accommodate 16x Class 333s and 31x Class 331/0s in any case

I've just seen from the Northern Trains Fleet Group on Facebook that 333001 has been reverted back to White Doors. When did this happen?

I don’t know about NL space but the last time we had an update from those in the know it was four car 331s for some Blackpool work and 323s for everything else in the North West.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Theres something like 20 electric diagrams in Yorkshire. So minus 12/13/14 333s leaves 6/7/8 331 diagrams, so you'd only need an absolute maximum of 20 331s to run all the remaining diagrams as 6 car... theres no way that 31 can be gainfully employed.

Geeves

Established Member
During 2027 the new depot at Shipley opens while Neville Hill is reconstructed. Beyond that you'll have two electric depots so east side capacity for stabling electrics won't be an issue for what ever ends up coming east.

Gordonman

Theres something like 20 electric diagrams in Yorkshire. So minus 12/13/14 333s leaves 6/7/8 331 diagrams, so you'd only need an absolute maximum of 20 331s to run all the remaining diagrams as 6 car... theres no way that 31 can be gainfully employed.
When the Trans Pennine route upgrade/electrification is complete,surely the Leeds - York,Leeds - Huddersfield and Manchester - Huddersfield local services will change to electric traction.Presumably this is where the 'spare' class 331's will go.

Geeves

Established Member
Don't forget as well the 323s/333s will be either retired or approaching retirement by the time the TRU is complete so there's potential that that one side or both will have an entirely different fleet. Anyway that's for another thread.

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
When the Trans Pennine route upgrade/electrification is complete,surely the Leeds - York,Leeds - Huddersfield and Manchester - Huddersfield local services will change to electric traction.Presumably this is where the 'spare' class 331's will go.
Not for a while yet. There will be just enough 3 car 331’s coming east for the time being to enable 4 & 6 car working on the triangle (as I previously mentioned and once the associated platform work is complete) and 2 x 333’s on Leeds - Donny services. There is no room for spare units sitting around on the east waiting for TRU to complete in several years.

By the time full electric local service working is possible on the TRU Manchester - York core Northern’s fleet will look very different to now. That’s not to say 331’s will not work these services but the new units should be coming on stream by then (some all electric units will be included in this) so the LTP unit plans won’t be drawn up for a while yet.

Harvey B

What do you think the biggest change will be at Neville Hill?
Well, Caf EMU's (the 333s and 331s) will be transferred to the New Shipley Depot

Not for a while yet. There will be just enough 3 car 331’s coming east for the time being to enable 4 & 6 car working on the triangle (as I previously mentioned and once the associated platform work is complete) and 2 x 333’s on Leeds - Donny services. There is no room for spare units sitting around on the east waiting for TRU to complete in several years.

By the time full electric local service working is possible on the TRU Manchester - York core Northern’s fleet will look very different to now. That’s not to say 331’s will not work these services but the new units should be coming on stream by then (some all electric units will be included in this) so the LTP unit plans won’t be drawn up for a while yet.
Is there a plan for Northern to take over the Huddersfield line Service once the TRU is complete?

I Thought that TPE would have retained the Stoppers post TRU upgrades?

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
Is there a plan for Northern to take over the Huddersfield line Service once the TRU is complete?

I Thought that TPE would have retained the Stoppers post TRU upgrades?
1 of the 2 Leeds - Huddersfield stopper diagrams comes back to Northern this coming Dec timetable change using a 150 3 car unit hence the 2 additional 3 cars being formed.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this thread is for updates regarding Northern unit refurbishment.

For any other topic, please create a new thread (if there isn't one already); any posts of a speculative nature belong in Speculative Discussion.

Trainman5862

With 156416 & 156417 now having gone to NH, does anyone know if 156420 & 156423 have been reallocated to HT in place of 416 & 417 or are they just up for a spot of maintenance before returning back to NH?

156420 has been out on Barrows today while 156423 is on HT.

diligentdave

With 156416 & 156417 now having gone to NH, does anyone know if 156420 & 156423 have been reallocated to HT in place of 416 & 417 or are they just up for a spot of maintenance before returning back to NH?

156420 has been out on Barrows today while 156423 is on HT.
156420 and 423 have now become Heaton allocated units following the swap.
Quick question. Is this run possibly a unit heading for refurbishment then?
Nothing ran (service caped), possibly 150226 which is actually a Newton Heath unit (it can be confusing as most of the 150/2 fleet is allocated to NL).

Soft Hands

Passed Brodie's on my way to work this morning and 156478 was outside in full Northern livery.
Any news of a date when the 156478 lease to Northern will commence? Presumably when the "new" Northumberland line opens, and more DMU's are required in service every day? There are rumours elsewhere of ScotRail 156's being temporarily loaned to HT to cover for the ongoing C6 repair program at Wolverton - any truth in this? I think four more units were planned to cover the Northumberland line diagrams, 158's, so 156's would be needed to backfill their duties?

JModulo

Any news of a date when the 156478 lease to Northern will commence? Presumably when the "new" Northumberland line opens, and more DMU's are required in service every day? There are rumours elsewhere of ScotRail 156's being temporarily loaned to HT to cover for the ongoing C6 repair program at Wolverton - any truth in this? I think four more units were planned to cover the Northumberland line diagrams, 158's, so 156's would be needed to backfill their duties?
First Ive heard of it considering ScotRail also have some off for C6.

diligentdave

Won't be long before 156478 gets sent to Heaton (possibly 2 or 3 weeks). There are no plans to have Scotrail 156's sent to Northern, basically they're not really compatible with Northern's anyway. The 4 units for the Northumberland line are cascading across from the Neville Hill 158 fleet (158787, 158790, 158791 & 158796 are the units btw).

3973EXL

Established Member

david l

Won't be long before 156478 gets sent to Heaton (possibly 2 or 3 weeks). There are no plans to have Scotrail 156's sent to Northern, basically they're not really compatible with Northern's anyway. The 4 units for the Northumberland line are cascading across from the Neville Hill 158 fleet (158787, 158790, 158791 & 158796 are the units btw).
Dave ,
Is NH (west side) getting any contingency to cover for:-
1) the continued 769 non- availability
2) the move of 4 NL units to HT (affecting Leeds-Wigan services)
3) the creation of another 2 150/0's from NH units. presumably to be NL based

TIA

diligentdave

Dave ,
Is NH (west side) getting any contingency to cover for:-
1) the continued 769 non- availability
2) the move of 4 NL units to HT (affecting Leeds-Wigan services)
3) the creation of another 2 150/0's from NH units. presumably to be NL based

TIA
In one word - No.

SC318250

156478 is sitting outside Broadies Engineering Caledonian Works, not viewable from Kilmarnock to Glasgow line, but from Morrisons Car Park.
It is un numberd but fully painted.

Looks like seat frames are fitted but no cushions etc

sbrignall72

This morning on NL Leeds was a 3 car 333004 with out one of the driving cars, when I saw it a week last Friday the coach had some damage. Does anyone know what it hit. MTIA