• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northumberland Line to be re-opened to passengers

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Apparently the final lot of track works has now been awarded. In addition, as in the nearby town of Hartlepool, the derelict platforms at Ashington are soon to be demolished.
Can anyone think of a reason why the old Ashington platforms actually need to be demolished, as the new single platform station is further south than the existing platforms, and at the end of a down siding? Does it possibly mean the through tracks are being repositioned slightly?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

androdas

They are curved and in a pretty bad condition, all the edging was removed some years back by Network Rail to improve clearance. The publicity I have seen locally from the council seems to suggest not using the old platform does not preclude future extension to Newbiggin / the North.

paul1609

Established Member
Can anyone think of a reason why the old Ashington platforms actually need to be demolished, as the new single platform station is further south than the existing platforms, and at the end of a down siding? Does it possibly mean the through tracks are being repositioned slightly?
Almost certainly wont meet the criterion for a new terminal platform, passenger egress height etc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Almost certainly wont meet the criterion for a new terminal platform, passenger egress height etc.
That’s already known, as I wrote we already know the new platform is offline and to the south of the existing station one reason being to prevent reversing passenger services blocking the line for freight - so there’s no obvious reason to remove the old platforms.

Jonny

Established Member
They are curved and in a pretty bad condition, all the edging was removed some years back by Network Rail to improve clearance. The publicity I have seen locally from the council seems to suggest not using the old platform does not preclude future extension to Newbiggin / the North.
The most obvious route to Newbiggin (-on-Sea) has the look of a greenway on an old trackbed, so you would need some work anyway, and you would need to cross the A189 just north of Woodhorn roundabout - which is a potential can of worms depending on the implementation.

That’s already known, as I wrote we already know the new platform is offline and to the south of the existing station one reason being to prevent reversing passenger services blocking the line for freight - so there’s no obvious reason to remove the old platforms.
It depends, the platforms may need substantial work and often there are issues that are presently unknown may come to light at an awkward moment.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It depends, the platforms may need substantial work and often there are issues that are presently unknown may come to light at an awkward moment.
There’s still no obvious reason to remove the old platforms though, they‘ve obviously been safe enough for freight trains to/from Lynemouth to have been passing them ever since closure, so why do they suddenly need removing now?

pdeaves

Established Member
There’s still no obvious reason to remove the old platforms though, they‘ve obviously been safe enough for freight trains to/from Lynemouth to have been passing them ever since closure, so why do they suddenly need removing now?
Because passenger standards are higher. Additionally, the track may be slewed slightly for better passenger speeds, and would otherwise come into contact with the platform remains.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Because passenger standards are higher. Additionally, the track may be slewed slightly for better passenger speeds, and would otherwise come into contact with the platform remains.
Passenger services won’t reach the old station. They terminate south of it. I think we should wait and see exactly what they end up doing.

stuu

Established Member
From the planning documents, there is going to be a ramp up to the main road which will use the space where the existing northbound platform is.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
From the planning documents, there is going to be a ramp up to the main road which will use the space where the existing northbound platform is.
AIUI the pedestrian ramp is already there, behind the platform area, and it is retained. But there’s also a new platform level walkway to a new lift, and that might at least need the old platform to be resurfaced and fenced. Perhaps it will be completely rebuilt.

stuu

Established Member
AIUI the pedestrian ramp is already there, behind the platform area, and it is retained. But there’s also a new platform level walkway to a new lift, and that might at least need the old platform to be resurfaced and fenced. Perhaps it will be completely rebuilt.
yes you are right, it's the access to the lift that goes where the platform is/was

Starmill

Veteran Member
Perhaps it's also partially an aesthetic thing. And perhaps it is a prerequisite to some other development near the former station site. I'm afraid I don't know though.

androdas

Perhaps it's also partially an aesthetic thing. And perhaps it is a prerequisite to some other development near the former station site. I'm afraid I don't know though.
There is an ongoing consultation on the future of Wansbeck Square which is the largely empty 70s office / shopping block built on the site of the former station and to which the ramp under discussion is attached. Below shows different options they are looking at to redevelop the site once the station is built.

Trestrol

If I remember correctly the old platform is quite low compared to the trackbed. Think it's made of concrete sections so would probably be hard to modify to a new height. I also flatly refuse to call it the Northumberland Line, I've been a railway man for 36 years and it's always been the Blyth and Tyne. Which is actually more apt as it goes from tyneside to Blyth.

androdas

A bit off topic but wasn't the stretch from Bedlington to Ashington the 'Warkworth Extension' to the Blyth and Tyne. The early railway having grand plans to run all the way up the coast that never paid off and they only got as far as Ashington / Newbiggin.

Been past the Ashington station site and there has been a bit of progress, what looks like a temporary road has been constructed over the former care home site down to the compound and lots of earthmoving machinery on site. Nothing seems to have been touched regarding the platforms yet apart from a but of vegetation clearance.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Does anyone know if the full funding for the scheme has been formally approved yet? My notes are that the scheme was "funded for preparatory works, including land acquisition, detailed design work and early site works" under the Restoring Your Railway pot.

As part of the approvals process the promoter would have had to confirm that funding was available* but the actual confirmation of the bulk of the DfT contribution was 'pending'.

*It's a legal/technical thing to ensure compulsory purchase powers are not awarded to a body only to then find out that the body hasn't got the money available to buy the affected property and complete their scheme. It prevents 'blight' on a property whereby because a scheme is proposed the property becomes unsellable to anyone else. There are also procedures an owner can apply to force the body to buy their 'blighted' property.

androdas

The only thing I can find on the council website is this from 23/9/2022, not a formal announcement but I feel both Northumberland CC and Government have been a bit distracted lately!

Northumberland Line and A1 dualling acceleration welcomed​

23 Sep 2022

Transport opportunities in Northumberland are being accelerated thanks to the Government’s Growth Plan.

It was announced today, Friday 23 September by the Department for Transport that both the A1 dualling programme between Morpeth and Ellingham and the Northumberland Line will be accelerated as fast as possible.

Council Leader, Councillor Glen Sanderson, said: “I am extremely pleased to hear this announcement from the Chancellor today. I had only this week written to the Transport Secretary asking for a decision and I am pleased that government is listening and investing in our infrastructure.

“Our residents, our businesses and our visitors need this. It will open up so many opportunities for the county and those travelling in and out of it.

“Our young people will gain greater access to learning and employment, and it will go a long way in supporting our future generations.

“It will provide a real incentive for potential employers to relocate to and invest in the area and create greater opportunities for those already here.

“By investing now, we are investing in the future.”

The Northumberland Line will bring passenger trains back into service between Ashington and Newcastle – stimulating and supporting economic growth, regeneration and community development in Northumberland and the surrounding regions.

“We are already in a great place with the Northumberland Line. Work has begun and this acceleration will mean we can push forward; providing new and improved transport links for local people and businesses and opening up new opportunities for education and travel,” Cllr Sanderson continued.

The dualling of the A1 between Morpeth and Ellingham will in addition provide vital infrastructure to help deliver the region’s aspirations for population and economic growth, creating much needed additional capacity, with better connectivity for people and business, and safer journeys for all.

“The A1 has been, for too long, a dangerous road in this area, claiming too many lives and causing injury to many, so I am pleased the spotlight has come back on improving it.

“It’s a hugely important road, not only for this county, but the whole country and will further strengthen links between England and Scotland.

“Our beautiful county is not one to be missed, and this dualling will, without doubt, bring more people here to work, live or visit.”

androdas

Just noticed that the Blyth and Tyne with all its stations and what I assume is the resignalling has been added to signalmaps website:

and realtime trains with all the station codes:

Northumberland Park (NE): NOP
Seaton Delaval: SEJ
Newsham: NWH
Blyth Bebside: BLI
Bedlington: BEJ
Ashington: ASL

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Just noticed that the Blyth and Tyne with all its stations and what I assume is the resignalling has been added to signalmaps website:

and realtime trains with all the station codes:

Northumberland Park (NE): NOP
Seaton Delaval: SEJ
Newsham: NWH
Blyth Bebside: BLI
Bedlington: BEJ
Ashington: ASL

Does the last letter (J) for Seaton Delaval and Bedlington refer to those being [former] junction stations?

I'm going by one of the stations on what is my local line in my native West Midlands in that Stourbridge Junction is SBJ, and south of the Thames, Clapham Junction is CLJ - both these instances referring to Junction.

Trestrol

Bedlington is still a junction. Interesting that there will be double track between Holywell L'xing and Seghill L'xing. Its single at the moment.

androdas

Yeah makes sense for Bedlington but Seaton Delaval is a totally new station on a single track stretch. As far as I know there was no previous station or junction on the site.

Trestrol

There was a junction to various collieries that branched of after the road bridge. Titles linger for decades if not centuries. The line is known as the Blyth and Tyne after the railway company that built it. The Northumberland Line is a silly name as only part of it is in Northumberland. All be it a big part.

SargeNpton

Established Member
More likely explanation for the BEJ and SEJ codes it that all other more suitable codes had already been allocated.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The modern Northumberland goes all the way to Berwick, so the route only serves one corner of it.

androdas

The project website has been updated with a couple of newsletters showing progress (and a promise to do monthly updates) of interest and relative to the discussion further up the thread the October one has some virtual tours taken by Morgan Sindall showing the partially demolished Ashington platform.

Newsletters: https://www.northumberlandline.uk/p...welcome-to-the-northumberland-line-newsletter
Direct link to Ashington photo (Click start to see demolished platform): https://storage.net-fs.com/hosting/6103018/1/

Edit: another thing I have seen for the first time in the October newsletter is Northern have recruited a Driver Team Manager, 20 Drivers and a Conductor Team Manager who will be based at a new Ashington conductor depot once the line is opened.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The project website has been updated with a couple of newsletters showing progress (and a promise to do monthly updates) of interest and relative to the discussion further up the thread the October one has some virtual tours taken by Morgan Sindall showing the partially demolished Ashington platform.

Newsletters: https://www.northumberlandline.uk/p...welcome-to-the-northumberland-line-newsletter
Direct link to Ashington photo (Click start to see demolished platform): https://storage.net-fs.com/hosting/6103018/1/
I see in the 2nd newsletter Northern have completed the recruitment of traincrew, and there’s to be a conductor depot at Ashington.

Presumably that kills off the daft idea of a mini-TOC and the separate rolling stock depot on the route that was still mentioned in some of the planning stuff not that long ago.

tbtc

Veteran Member
“Northumberland Line” might seem a daft name to some but remember that part of the success of the Tweedbank route is the way that it was branded as the line to “the Borders” rather than “just” Galashiels or bringing back references to the Waverley line (which might mean nothing to the vast majority of Scots under pensionable age, beyond the existing community of enthusiasts)

For some of the Borders, Tweedbank makes sense (Melrose, Hawick) but it’s not the way I’d have chosen to travel into a Edinburgh from places like Peebles or Kelso, certainly not Duns or Eyemouth, so I don’t feel that the line is for the whole Borders, but branding it as such gives the impression that an entire region is being regenerated and that the benefits are much wider than just one corridor - so I think we have to get used to this “Northumberland” branding, even if it’s not much used to the good people of Wooler etc!

androdas

Does anyone have an idea what stock might be used for this project? With Northern saying they are only opening a conductor depot at Ashington i'm assuming the units and drivers will come from Heaton, is there enough 156/8s there to allow for the planned hourly services each way?