• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northwich Station Roof Collapse - 18/05/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Northern have recently closed the temporary booking office at Northwich station, apparently at the request of Network Rail so they can clear the site for rebuilding to start. I was surprised to hear this because I'd have expected work not to start until planning approval is given.
I was at the station yesterday aftnoon and the ticket office was open, but no other facilities, even temporary ones as far as I could see. Never saw the station in all it's glory, hope it can all be restored!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jack Hay

I was at the station yesterday aftnoon and the ticket office was open, but no other facilities, even temporary ones as far as I could see. Never saw the station in all it's glory, hope it can all be restored!
Yes, apparently NR asked Northern to close the booking office so that rebuilding could start, forgetting that they hadn't got planning permission yet, so the office has now reopened until rebuilding can start.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yes, apparently NR asked Northern to close the booking office so that rebuilding could start, forgetting that they hadn't got planning permission yet, so the office has now reopened until rebuilding can start.
This does not say much for the internal communications within Network Rail, as planning permission is not a minor matter and we are not talking of a long period of time since the structural collapse occurred.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A minor project setback by the sounds of it. Nothing to worry about really.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
We already went over this in the previous thread. If Northern weren't being told about the progress of the planning, Cheshire West were just an email or phone call away.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Was the responsibility for dealing with such matters with Network Rail or with Northern?
Regardless of who was dealing with it, if Northern were in doubt over information not being forthcoming, the council were easily contactable. Also, the approval of planning would've made the local news, so Northern don't exactly have an excuse.

That however, doesn't mean that Network Rail get off the hook, if it was indeed their job.

pharrc20

Some progress might be starting as this notice has been posted on the station fencing and surrounding posts in the car park for work starting on Monday 30th lasting until 3rd June. The RingGo car parking machines have been taken out as well and placed on the ground too behind the public bin, though they have been out of use for some time and users directed to use the app to pay for parking instead. I will keep an eye out on what will be happening.
Cheers Paul

Attachments

• 20230127_135448.jpg
    20230127_135448.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 77

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Some progress might be starting as this notice has been posted on the station fencing and surrounding posts in the car park for work starting on Monday 30th lasting until 3rd June. The RingGo car parking machines have been taken out as well and placed on the ground too behind the public bin, though they have been out of use for some time and users directed to use the app to pay for parking instead. I will keep an eye out on what will be happening.
Cheers Paul

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed for a sympathetic restoration :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yep, it is supposed to of similar style and same coloured brickwork as the original according to what was submitted on the planning application.

Splendid - and they can hopefully incorporate the rescued keystone as well !

I have a definite soft spot for the mid-Cheshire line :)

pharrc20

Splendid - and they can hopefully incorporate the rescued keystone as well !

I have a definite soft spot for the mid-Cheshire line :)
Yes that is still there on the pallet behind the fencing. Let's hope they don't forget to put it back in or incorporate it into the build somewhere ;)

8A Rail

Established Member
Does the new work include the restoration of the collapsed canopy too? I understand that Network Rail do / did not want to include it but there were objections from other bodies. Has this been resolved then?

pharrc20

Does the new work include the restoration of the collapsed canopy too? I understand that Network Rail do / did not want to include it but there were objections from other bodies. Has this been resolved then?
Not sure on that one. Having looked at the planning application again, some revised drawing documents were submitted in November and on two of the illustrations the canopy is shown as it is now, cut back and not restored the full length towards the footbridge.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That would be a shame if the full canopy isn't restored.

In these days of reduced staffing hours, the platform canopy is often the most important part of the station !

pharrc20

That would be a shame if the full canopy isn't restored.

In these days of reduced staffing hours, the platform canopy is often the most important part of the station !
Yep it would be a shame if not fully restored even to just get the ticket machines under cover lol. The station booking office only opens until 1pm though officially it is quarter past one on weekdays and 2.15 on Saturdays.

It's good that work is finally starting on the rebuild. Can't come soon enough.
Yes, it has been far too long. I hope they give the rest of the station a good clean too and get rid of all that damm fencing too once the work is done. Lets also hope they treat the rest of the brickwork to remove all the stuff growing out of the mortar courses wakening the whole lot further and clear the drains andg gullies up above.

ServerHoster

The RingGo car parking machines have been taken out as well and placed on the ground too behind the public bin, though they have been out of use for some time and users directed to use the app to pay for parking instead.
This isn't just Northwich. It has also happened at Sandbach and Holmes Chapel etc. It seems to be a Northern thing.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yep, it is supposed to of similar style and same coloured brickwork as the original according to what was submitted on the planning application.
Thanks for update. Does anyone know if the Railway Heritage Trust are involved? Kind of project on the operational network they might engage with to ensure and enhance any restoration work ref original features etc.

8A Rail

Established Member
Not sure on that one. Having looked at the planning application again, some revised drawing documents were submitted in November and on two of the illustrations the canopy is shown as it is now, cut back and not restored the full length towards the footbridge.

As it was Network Rail's fault for the collapse in the first instance through lack of maintenance and upkeep, then they should be put into a position that it must be returned to original appearance including the canopy.

WesternLancer

Established Member
As it was Network Rail's fault for the collapse in the first instance through lack of maintenance and upkeep, then they should be put into a position that it must be returned to original appearance including the canopy.
Arguably yes, but unless it was a listed building they may not be obliged to do that. I can't recall if it was listed however! Sorry.

pharrc20

The work compound has now been established and uses most of the car park from the road cross roads traffic lights end towards the old side gate station entrance. Despite, the site plan that they stuck up on posts and fence railings, there is no access from the steps leading down from Middlewich Road bridge. Yes, you can go down the steps but then you have to walk all the way round the compound in a big U shape to gain access to the current station entrance. Work is planned to start soon and last until July. No word on replacing the canopy back to it's full length nor any heritage considerations other than using a matching shade type of brick for the external brickwork. I will keep a watch on the work when I can.
Cheers Paul

WesternLancer

Established Member
The work compound has now been established and uses most of the car park from the road cross roads traffic lights end towards the old side gate station entrance. Despite, the site plan that they stuck up on posts and fence railings, there is no access from the steps leading down from Middlewich Road bridge. Yes, you can go down the steps but then you have to walk all the way round the compound in a big U shape to gain access to the current station entrance. Work is planned to start soon and last until July. No word on replacing the canopy back to it's full length nor any heritage considerations other than using a matching shade type of brick for the external brickwork. I will keep a watch on the work when I can.
Cheers Paul
Thanks for update - interesting to read. Will be good to see how things develop with this. Post appreciated.

pharrc20

Thanks for update - interesting to read. Will be good to see how things develop with this. Post appreciated.
Not much gone on so far they were digging trenches yesterday in the car park where the fenced compound is. Maybe looking for original builder's plans lol.

P Binnersley

The planning application can be viewed on the Cheshire West and Chester website (ref 22/01973/P18).

"The proposed reconstruction would have a similar design to the original construction, but would reduce the height of the front elevation gable feature. The design and external appearance of the building including the materials would preserve or enhance the significance of the non-designated heritage asset."
So it looks like it will be an almost a like for like replacement for the building. The canopy will be cut back to where it currently terminates.

Status
Not open for further replies.