• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not a good day on GTR Southern & Thameslink (26/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKing

As the title suggests, SN and TL services are facing major disruption due to various incidents across the network, including:
  • a person hit by a train at Billingshurst;
  • a person hit by a train at Balcombe;
  • a 700 with a locked wheel axle, preventing the train from continuing without (what I think are called) skates;
  • the down fast line between Stoats Nest Junction and Earlswood has also been blocked for an unknown reason;
  • there was a signalling fault between Earlswood and Gatwick earlier this morning;
My thoughts are will all those involved in the first two tragic incidents, which happened just 30 minutes apart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OliverH68

The 700 is still at Redhill! Been there since just after 0930, you are correct in that it needs skates on the wheels to get it moving again.

Minstral25

Established Member
Cancelled all Redhill to Tonbridge trains now, but the down fast is now open. Guess that block was to do with recent embankment work.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The 700 is still at Redhill! Been there since just after 0930, you are correct in that it needs skates on the wheels to get it moving again.
Giving an opportunity to use the often-misused term of a train being 'dragged' somewhere when it's simply being hauled! In this case at least, dragging is closer to the truth.

Mcq

Can someone just explain a bit about how you fit and use 'skates' on a 700 please?

Domh245

Established Member
Can someone just explain a bit about how you fit and use 'skates' on a 700 please?

I imagine that (like most rolling stock?) you jack the offending end of the vehicle up high enough to slide the skate underneath, and then lower that axle onto the skate. There's a picture (not of today's incident) of a skated 700 wheelset here for illustrative purposes

Mcq

Excellent - thank you very much for 'instant' reply - very clear.

Gloster

Established Member
I imagine that (like most rolling stock?) you jack the offending end of the vehicle up high enough to slide the skate underneath, and then lower that axle onto the skate. There's a picture (not of today's incident) of a skated 700 wheelset here for illustrative purposes
I was reading something about this on another forum a few days ago. I think that the skate is assembled (bolted together) on the railhead around the wheel after it (the wheel) has been jacked up.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They're (TL) also affected by the line closure between Gillingham and Sittingbourne until Feb 8th.

Gloster

Established Member
Usually 5mph limit when skating a dodgy wheel. The poor sod who gets that job needs a medal.
A few years ago it was 20 mph on plain line and 5 mph over points, with regular stops to check that all was in order. Having to fit that into the timetable nowadays is one reason why so much gets moved by road.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
A few years ago it was 20 mph on plain line and 5 mph over points, with regular stops to check that all was in order. Having to fit that into the timetable nowadays is one reason why so much gets moved by road.
It was 20 and 5. Was moved about 02.30

Sunset route

Established Member
Thoughts with my colleagues again and some days I’m glad I’m to be on early turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.