• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not international, but felt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahj

Established Member
Noted these between St Dennys and Southampton today. Made me feel like I was in Germany for a moment. Interesting to see that they even have the E wagon designations.

Attachments

• WP_20160805_15_24_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160805_15_24_23_Pro.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 139
  • WP_20160805_15_24_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160805_15_24_33_Pro.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 111
  • WP_20160805_15_24_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160805_15_24_39_Pro.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 97
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I know the feeling, there is a rake of these pass by our house (adjacent to the Stockport-Stalybridge line) every weekday evening and occasionally the class 60 or 66 on the front is in matching DB red also, I think they look quite impressive whilst in this ex works condition.

route101

Established Member
With the DB logo and red indeed.
Out of interest is there any foreign wagons on our rails ?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think all new wagons in recent years have been Euro-registered, even those owned by Network Rail!

Harbornite

Established Member
As a German, it is odd seeing all those DB emblems in the UK

It's a shame that you didn't get much in the way of BR wagons in Europe. Nowadays the closest thing to this are the freightliner locomotives and wagons used in Poland, but Freightliner is no longer owned by Brits.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
With the DB logo and red indeed.
Out of interest is there any foreign wagons on our rails ?

This isn't relevant to nowadays, but I recently read a copy of the railway mag from the ww2 era and it mentioned how a number of Italian wagons in Cornwall had been seized. Back then, there were wagons that could be used internationally, as there are today.

As for nowadays, I'm not sure but it's a good question. I'd say the Channel tunnel and Dollands Moor is your best bet. Aren't cargowaggons used in Europe as well?

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
It's a shame that you didn't get much in the way of BR wagons in Europe. Nowadays the closest thing to this are the freightliner locomotives and wagons used in Poland, but Freightliner is no longer owned by Brits.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

This isn't relevant to nowadays, but I recently read a copy of the railway mag from the ww2 era and it mentioned how a number of Italian wagons in Cornwall had been seized. Back then, there were wagons that could be used internationally, as there are today.

As for nowadays, I'm not sure but it's a good question. I'd say the Channel tunnel and Dollands Moor is your best bet. Aren't cargowaggons used in Europe as well?

Yes, I've seen a few no uk wagons out and about. Even container wagons often are non uk reg, plus some car transporters that come into and out of southampton have non uk markings.

Harbornite

Established Member
Yes, I've seen a few no uk wagons out and about. Even container wagons often are non uk reg, plus some car transporters that come into and out of southampton have non uk markings.

Aren't a number of car wagons owned by STVA? This French company was responsible for building quite a few cartics.

Gordon

Aren't a number of car wagons owned by STVA? This French company was responsible for building quite a few cartics.

Yes. There have been / are trains within UK (eg Dagenham - Didcot) using the French registered STVA car wagons. They are my favourites as I have been familiar with European freight and particularly the UIC reg '87 SNCF' (now 87 F) since childhood and find it fun to see them in the London area.

The wagons are a 'Britishified' version of a famous type of car wagon built in France in the 1960s, and originally usually seen branded 'STVA' or 'GEFCO' .

Incidentally I have photographed ex-Polybulk UK loading gauge wagons in internal use for cereals in France

Harbornite

Established Member
There's an STVA cartic in Small Heath yard, it has been rusting away for years and I believe it was last used for Land Rover traffic from Solihull destined for Italy.

Established Member
I think all new wagons in recent years have been Euro-registered, even those owned by Network Rail!
I think the majority of recent new wagons for the UK have been built abroad and have arrived by rail so guess that they might have to be Euro-registered to be moved on other systems?

The wagons are a 'Britishified' version of a famous type of car wagon built in France in the 1960s, and originally usually seen branded 'STVA' or 'GEFCO'.
Like this?

Gordon

I think the majority of new wagons for the UK have been built abroad and have arrived by rail so guess that they might have to be Euro-registered to be moved on other systems?

I don't think it is to do with that IMHO.

It is more that all rolling stock across Europe is now being classified under the new UIC computer system, so even if it works on a 'detached' railway network, it is all identifiable via a common computerised system, and trackable across the piece.

In addition with wagon leasing becoming global, a wagon operating within the UK can belong to a company far from these shores. For example many European wagons are owned by AAE, a company that started out as a tiny private local railway in north Germany but is now a global wagon lessor

Like this?

Yes!

There is a good collection of SNCF car carrier wagon graphics on MLG Trafic:
http://www.mlgtraffic.net/France_F_W_Autos.xml

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It also gives the wagon owner the option of using their wagons on the Continent or on Tunnel traffic. Without the various Euro numbers and symbols a wagon can only be used in the UK.

Harbornite

Established Member
I thought I'd share this pic of the STVA artic wagon in Small Heath yard, admittedly not one of my best shots.

15258850288_737cd153c3_c.jpg

It hasn't turned a wheel in ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.