• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottingham 'Bus War'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I agree, especially as the NCT Skylink route was deliberately chosen to link deprived areas in Meadows and Clifton to possible jobs at EMA, with air passengers seen as a secondary market. If it had been aimed at air passengers it would have run direct via Clifton Bridge, and probably used coaches instead of buses.

maybe, but the TB service is even slower

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Of course trentbarton have been running services between Nottingham and EMA for years before and during the operation of the service via Clifton (as part of indigo and before that the 3, 10 and 310 services).

NCT's service only gave up when trentbarton speeded their service up and extended the hours of operation.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
maybe, but the TB service is even slower

Yes, and it doesn't serve any particularly deprived areas either. But it follows the built-up A6005 corridor for most of its length, and from using it a few times I'd say passengers to/from intermediate stops vastly outnumber those to/from the Airport. This is probably they only way TB felt they could offer it on a commercial basis - though as I posted above it's just possible a reliable A453 could change the equation.

If you could do a direct service with one vehicle on a hourly basis it may work. But even with a speeded up A453 that isn't feasible.
You might carry passengers going to the airport but you would be limited coming back as most would get the first bus - most likely the TB 3 Skylink an hour.
Workers may use it - especially from Clifton - but no it would not cover costs - EMA is not Heathrow and never will be numbers wise!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It's really quite a small airport with, seemingly, not a large demand for a Nottingham-area bus from staff working there. Premiere couldn't make it work. The various Wellglade services to Nottingham, Derby and Leicester are more than adequate.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I might have missed something.

Since when has the Mango discount been 15%?

MCR247

Established Member
November 2014 :)
MANGO is changing from this Sunday. We're making it more rewarding the more you use it - day, week & 28 day caps are either frozen or reduced and there's new MANGOmoney back for you when you reach a week cap. Single journey discounts will change to 15% off for adults & kids and 25% off for students and 16-19s.
These changes are to improve things for the majority of customers and reward those who spend the most on their bus fares. If the changes don't work for you, or a different ticket works out better value, we're more than happy to help you switch or give you your money back.

I'm sure you can count on one hand how many people believed that "These changes are to improve things for the majority of customers" :lol:

tbone

It was originally 25% for adults. The day cap is £5 for adult mangos, £4.50 for student and 16-19 ones and £2.50 for micro mango, despite the fact that zigzag went up to £6
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Red Arrow will run as Derby-Nottingham and Derby- Chesterfield (ie not a through service) from the 3rd May

CallySleeper

Established Member
Re: the 453/EMP/EMA I wonder if it would be best for the authorities concerned to revisit this issue when the new road and tram is open. Surely a service linking the city centre, tram, train and air should be considered.

The Red Arrow will run as Derby-Nottingham and Derby- Chesterfield (ie not a through service) from the 3rd May

Any reason behind this?

tbone

My guess is that buses delayed from Chesterfield interrupt the every 10 minute frequency between Derby and Nottingham.

That will no doubt be the official reason given. In reality I'd expect it's because it's cheaper to buy 9 new coaches than 13...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
That will no doubt be the official reason given. In reality I'd expect it's because it's cheaper to buy 9 new coaches than 13...

Surely, they won't even need 9 if the Chesterfield leg goes to buses as I thought they were keeping the newest coaches (5 ?)

MCR247

Established Member
They are keeping the newest ones but I still wouldn't be surprised if it was partly down to cost

And they are introducing more stops between Derby & Chesterfield. As there is no low floor alternative on parts of that section of the route using a low floor vehicle would make more sense considering the amount of stopping time.

It is a shame to split the route but if it makes both sections more reliable surely that is a bonus?

Mugby

Established Member
Is the Derby - Chesterfield section definitely going to buses?

If so, surely capacity will be reduced, doesn't a coach seat about 49 whereas a bus only seats about 44?
Presumably standing passengers will still not be allowed on the A38 so how will they cope with the volume of passengers on Chesterfield Market days?

Deerfold

Veteran Member

If so, surely capacity will be reduced, doesn't a coach seat about 49 whereas a bus only seats about 44?
Presumably standing passengers will still not be allowed on the A38 so how will they cope with the volume of passengers on Chesterfield Market days?

If they have buses allowed to carry standing passengers, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to have them on the A38.

tbone

I believe the PVR will remain the same, with 4 vehicles operating to Chesterfield and 9 operating to Nottingham. I also believe that 9 new coaches will be bought and put into service in the Nottingham leg during the latter half of this year.

With a bit of detective skill and creative license I predict that the Chesterfield leg will be ran with coaches as Red Arrow for the short term. Jeff Counsell recently went to the Estaban factory and took a picture of a seat with the Trent Barton fabric with yellow leather headrests. This makes me think that the Two may be getting new buses of some kind on the route, with at least some of the Volvos going onto the Chesterfield leg. At this point I suspect that it will be given a new identity to avoid confusion.

I've also heard that the Chesterfield section will be every 20 minutes. Not 100% sure on that though

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Standing passengers are not allowed on a *coach* (no stanchions), they're fine on a bus - can't see how the A38 road gets involved.

chessie

I believe the PVR will remain the same, with 4 vehicles operating to Chesterfield and 9 operating to Nottingham. I also believe that 9 new coaches will be bought and put into service in the Nottingham leg during the latter half of this year.

With a bit of detective skill and creative license I predict that the Chesterfield leg will be ran with coaches as Red Arrow for the short term. Jeff Counsell recently went to the Estaban factory and took a picture of a seat with the Trent Barton fabric with yellow leather headrests. This makes me think that the Two may be getting new buses of some kind on the route, with at least some of the Volvos going onto the Chesterfield leg. At this point I suspect that it will be given a new identity to avoid confusion.

I've also heard that the Chesterfield section will be every 20 minutes. Not 100% sure on that though

Great news if Chesterfield section goes every 20 mins, said this earlier in thread theres a market for express from Chesterfield to Clay Cross and the Red Arrow is always well loaded from Alfreton onwards anyway, shame its at the sacrifice of ongoing travel to Nottingham though

Ginga

Beeston SQBP start date is 1st July 2015, run along same lines as the Nottingham City Centre one. Buses must be at least Euro 3 unless they are on School runs.

Nottingham Coaches/Buses are painting the Darts "Premiere" RED in the spring as they still have Go Northeast ghosting on the panels and you cannot run in previous owners livery from 1st July.

Trent Barton have been holding interviews for the " Spy at the stop " job at Beeston Bus Station.

Yourbus have a shortage of Drivers again , been missing evening Y5 runs .

kevjs

NCT have a Ciatro to assess which you may see on the streets - it won't be entering service though - http://fb.me/2SXJ1oJzJ

Love the first comment though - "Assessment that it won't burst into flames"

tbone

Looks like Plaxtons are on the way for Red Arrow:

@jefftrentbarton: 36hrs - Board Mtg, do mail, go to Scarborough, eat, drink, sleep, spend £3m - drive back, do presentation, home, Horlicks, bed z

Jordeh

Apparently Trent Barton have been experimenting with double deckers on the i4, any details?

Status
Not open for further replies.