• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, I think we need to knock this discussion about Euro standards on the head; it's a side issue and is distracting from the main topic. If anyone does wish to continue, please do so in a new thread. Thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joieman

I have just spotted what I think is Versa 832 on Ashby Road heading into Loughborough with a plain blue engine cover. I wonder if perhaps it's been debranded?

Trainman40083

I'd thought any bus from 2013 or newer should be Euro 6, but I've recently seen some 2018 plate E200s coming off lease which are only Euro 5. Not sure how that works to be honest. All cars after 2016 are as I made a point of getting a 2016 model last time I changed to make sure it was Euro 6. Good thing I did otherwise I'd have been on the hook for various LEZ charges.

I'd be interested as well to know what exemptions the various companies have. I thought they'd all expired by now but both Hulleys and TM are still running non-compliant vehicles in to Sheffield most days. Indeed there are times when more of Hulleys Euro 6 vehicles are running around Chesterfield than in to Sheffield. They can't just be eating the fines surely

I have just spotted what I think is Versa 832 on Ashby Road heading into Loughborough with a plain blue engine cover. I wonder if perhaps it's been debranded?
Maybe today is just a day for oddments. Noted Trentbarton Solo 471 on the 11.35 Villager V1 ex Derby, but it wasn't tracking at all.

Teapot42

I noticed a Versa on the 199 today - I'd thought this was only E200s and Mercs, but it seems there are two of them painted up. Is there a back-story as to why these two odd buses out are with High Peak?

Last edited by a moderator:

joieman

I noticed a Versa on the 199 today - I'd thought this was only E200s and Mercs, but it seems there are two of them painted up. Is there a back-story as to why these two odd buses out are with High Peak?
They are a pair purchased from Marshalls of Sutton on Trent which were sold after they ceased operating the service 90 between Nottingham and Newark.

Since Solo SR 502 is now at Kinchbus but hasn't tracked in nearly two months, did it perhaps get a repaint into Kinchbus livery?

Last edited:

Trainman40083

Well, it seems Volvo has worked some magic on the Red Arrow coaches.. After having been off the road for a good year, coach 82 is on MOT. Think five coaches are out most days . But as a spare, 73 is moving from Notts and Derby to Trentbarton just for Red Arrow!!! (Currently at Langley Mill, it would seem). Solo 471 was working for Trentbarton at Derby on Villager V1 yesterday. Today it worked early U2 Unibus for Notts and Derby. Clearly a generic spare for both.

TR673

With vehicles switching between Notts & Derby, TrentBarton and Kinch on an almost daily basis, do they have to keep changing the o-discs and name on the legal lettering? Or are they allowed to have an N&D vehicle running a Trent route on an N&D disc?

Trainman40083

With vehicles switching between Notts & Derby, TrentBarton and Kinch on an almost daily basis, do they have to keep changing the o-discs and name on the legal lettering? Or are they allowed to have an N&D vehicle running a Trent route on an N&D disc?
Well, you do have to wonder.. Move the bus, change the disc, change the ticket machine, give it back, change it back

Established Member
823 (threes banded) has a A4 sheet in the windscreen with 'On hire to Notts & Derby' on it.

ACBest

But I thought you could only do that for a limited period.

In fact I thought a loan could only be about 2 weeks, then the bus had to change.
If I remember rightly, the 14 day rule is if you’re loaning the vehicle AND O disc.

If it’s just the vehicle, then no, it can be for as long as you want.

JD2168

They are a pair purchased from Marshalls of Sutton on Trent which were sold after they ceased operating the service 90 between Nottingham and Newark.

Since Solo SR 502 is now at Kinchbus but hasn't tracked in nearly two months, did it perhaps get a repaint into Kinchbus livery?

Have they still go the Versa’s which they ran on 65 in a route specific livery, I believe they got them from Mike De Courcey Travel of Birmingham.

Trainman40083

Alexander Dennis has confirmed the Trentbarton order.for 29 Enviro 200MMCs for the Mickleover, Ilkeston Flyer, H1 and Villager routes, plus some spares (6?)

Davidsb3

Well, it seems Volvo has worked some magic on the Red Arrow coaches.. After having been off the road for a good year, coach 82 is on MOT. Think five coaches are out most days . But as a spare, 73 is moving from Notts and Derby to Trentbarton just for Red Arrow!!! (Currently at Langley Mill, it would seem). Solo 471 was working for Trentbarton at Derby on Villager V1 yesterday. Today it worked early U2 Unibus for Notts and Derby. Clearly a generic spare for both.
471 has replaced the role 499 used to do between the two companies but will spend more time working for N+D than us but i can see us needing it from time to time. Yes 73 is gonna be coming back to use for a short period until a new batch of coaches are orderd and have arrived. Plus being painted into a nice new black colour

Trainman40083

471 has replaced the role 499 used to do between the two companies but will spend more time working for N+D than us but i can see us needing it from time to time. Yes 73 is gonna be coming back to use for a short period until a new batch of coaches are orderd and have arrived. Plus being painted into a nice new black colour
Ah well, you won't get new Plaxton/ADL coaches for a good two years. Maybe black, is so people can't see it in the dark, but it can be used equally for all the subsidiary companies.

Davidsb3

Ah well, you won't get new Plaxton/ADL coaches for a good two years. Maybe black, is so people can't see it in the dark, but it can be used equally for all the subsidiary companies.
Yea ive heard 2026 being spread around and tbh Tb were warned when they brought this current batch of Plxtons ( From plaxton i was told) that they wont last on the short route and well....

Trainman40083

Yea ive heard 2026 being spread around and tbh Tb were warned when they brought this current batch of Plxtons ( From plaxton i was told) that they wont last on the short route and well....
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...Whilst they are nice coaches, I am not sure they were ever suitable for such a short run. Now I understand Volvo have a new chassis B13? Plaxton will only commit to a new coach body if they get a big order, and that usually means Stagecoach, who aren't buying any So Plaxton have moved production over to electric buses. So, if two years, maybe the situation won't have changed. Could always have Enviro 400MMCs instead. Whoops, of course, they won't have double deckers

In fact I’d certainly hope they aren’t Plaxtons.
Oh, I thought everything they had now were Plaxtons. Do they even consider anyone else?

MCR247

Established Member
Oh, I thought everything they had now were Plaxtons. Do they even consider anyone else?
The Enviro 200 MMC seems to be their current standard bus order, but I remember hearing at the time that the Red Arrow coaches were part of a ‘deal’ where they also ordered a batch of Enviros at the same time. This, to me anyway, almost implied a bit of a discount on the coaches. Of course that doesn’t mean that they only went with Plaxtons because of this potential discount. But it seems to be a case of either going elsewhere or buying buses for the route at this point, assuming they are looking for replacements.

Davidsb3

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...Whilst they are nice coaches, I am not sure they were ever suitable for such a short run. Now I understand Volvo have a new chassis B13? Plaxton will only commit to a new coach body if they get a big order, and that usually means Stagecoach, who aren't buying any So Plaxton have moved production over to electric buses. So, if two years, maybe the situation won't have changed. Could always have Enviro 400MMCs instead. Whoops, of course, they won't have double deckers

All i know is that the new order will be coaches as from they say " The customers expect" so maybe with these interdecks coming and if they prove themselves that might be the new order or something with that style anyway

joieman

In fact I’d certainly hope they aren’t Plaxtons.
They could always get more Irizars as to my knowledge the Irizar i4 is still in production. Would be a bit ironic that the Irizars were replaced by Plaxtons, which would in turn be replaced by newer versions of the Irizars they replaced.

JD2168

This new of new buses for Trent Barton is very good news especially considering the current vehicle shortages.

It may also see a cascade of vehicles to other areas such as TM Travel which still has quite a large number of vehicles that are not Euro 6 compliant with the Sheffield Clean Air Zone.

derbybusdepot

I guess this is their back up plan after not getting any of the zebra 2 funding, which would have also required much more of an investment at a guess.

In the short term they still seem quite short of available vehicles. Kinch and Trent Barton Derby/Langley Mill cancel several services each day. Can't understand how Langley Mill has lost so many vehicles without replacement. 174/5, & 502 to kinch, 713/4 to nottingham. Can only assume more red versas should have been ready but are not.