• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

joieman

More interested in where the extra drivers have come from. Kinchbus still routinely cancels local services 5, 9 11 etc pretty well every day. I don't understand why they don't save their shredded reputation by dropping the frequency to something they can reliably achieve.
Yes, or get some spare buses, for heaven's sake.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainman40083

Should that second "drivers" say "buses"?
It would be fair to say, that at Derby, if a bus on a route breaks down (and they seem to, often), there would have to be a Z in the month for a spare bus to be available. So, a bus breaks, the services are missed. Very rare there is a full service on Red Arrow, Mickleover, Allestree, Sixes, Villager these days. Maybe the new buses will sort some of it out. But they ought to improve reliability of the Red Arrow, as it is supposed to be a premium service.

bringiton

Red Arrow coach 82 has MOT, still SORN however.

(Image is a screenshot of the DVLA site, showing that YX65ZHM is MOT tested until 25 April 2025)

Attachments

• 1714125803635.png
    1714125803635.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 29

Trainman40083

Red Arrow coach 82 has MOT, still SORN however.

(Image is a screenshot of the DVLA site, showing that YX65ZHM is MOT tested until 25 April 2025)
Only take a year. Plenty of coaches to work on.

Is there something up with the bus wash at Trentbarton Meadow Road? Many of the Derby vehicles look well grubby, whereas Nottingham based buses seem very clean.

bringiton

Is there something up with the bus wash at Trentbarton Meadow Road? Many of the Derby vehicles look well grubby, whereas Nottingham based buses seem very clean.
I don't mind how dirty the outside of the bus is as long as its operating on the route and doesn't break down

Davidsb3

The wash seems to break very often it seems spends more time OOS then working it seems from a drivers point of view.
With the coaches volvo have been pulled onto site to help get them working so hopefulley more than a handful will be on the road but i aint holding my breathe lol

Trainman40083

The wash seems to break very often it seems spends more time OOS then working it seems from a drivers point of view.
With the coaches volvo have been pulled onto site to help get them working so hopefulley more than a handful will be on the road but i aint holding my breathe lol
I think I must see the grubby sides of too many Mickleover Enviros, or Volvos when I am in Derby. Just think, coach 82 has a new MOT. Next thing it will be taxed. Could have a bet on how long it stays out, having been off the road a year

With planning permission given for the temporary Royal Hospital car park, whilst they build a nice big multi storey car park at the hospital, it will be interesting to see who runs the shuttle bus for two years. My money would be on super operator , Notts and Derby. But in all the discussion, it has to be said, that there seemed to be no consideration re better buses, rather than more cars.

Last edited:

zakky1.0

I think I must see the grubby sides of too many Mickleover Enviros, or Volvos when I am in Derby. Just think, coach 82 has a new MOT. Next thing it will be taxed. Could have a bet on how long it stays out, having been off the road a year

With planning permission given for the temporary Royal Hospital car park, whilst they build a nice big multi storey car park at the hospital, it will be interesting to see who runs the shuttle bus for two years. My money would be on super operator , Notts and Derby. But in all the discussion, it has to be said, that there seemed to be no consideration re better buses, rather than more cars.
Slightly off of the topic of bus operators, but I've read Kingsway is the supposed location for the temp car park, plenty of chaos as it is... less people will want to use kingsway with the extra traffic.

What would seemingly make a lot more sense, would be to use the multistore car park next to the bus station that's been laying empty (minus building supplies for the works in the city & by the train station) but that would require Derbion or the council to backdown on the claim that the car park wasn't needed! don't see either doing so.

derbybusdepot

Slightly off of the topic of bus operators, but I've read Kingsway is the supposed location for the temp car park, plenty of chaos as it is... less people will want to use kingsway with the extra traffic.

What would seemingly make a lot more sense, would be to use the multistore car park next to the bus station that's been laying empty (minus building supplies for the works in the city & by the train station) but that would require Derbion or the council to backdown on the claim that the car park wasn't needed! don't see either doing so.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the new car park is being built on the current staff car park? There should really be a park and ride in this area to serve both hospital and the city centre, especially as there are good bus lanes from here towards the city unlike any other approaches.

Problems with using cock Pitt car park are that it's miles away, and adding to traffic going into the city. I guess the logic is that although there is a lot of traffic on Kingsway,the distance isn't too great, and can't find a more suitable location.

Trent indigo 204 broke down in Chaddesden earlier today.

Trainman40083

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the new car park is being built on the current staff car park? There should really be a park and ride in this area to serve both hospital and the city centre, especially as there are good bus lanes from here towards the city unlike any other approaches.

Problems with using cock Pitt car park are that it's miles away, and adding to traffic going into the city. I guess the logic is that although there is a lot of traffic on Kingsway,the distance isn't too great, and can't find a more suitable location.

Trent indigo 204 broke down in Chaddesden earlier today.
The new car park is being built on car park 6. That is on the left when you enter afaik. Big car park between the hospital and the houses on Manor Road.. I think the problem we have with this hospital, and people ignore that when they talk about everyone going by bus, is the area is covers. A significant part of Derbyshire and East Staffs. For many of those people, the bus just isn't an option; and certainly not for many staff unless they live locally. I spoke to a few people I know about it. Not ONE said they would use the service bus or even a taxi. Personally, I just wouldn't take my car, cos I want to get to my appointment on time...well when I get there early, I go in early, cos others are late. No doubt it will cause traffic chaos. May well make the Mickleover/Villager service even less reliable than it is now.

When you look around Derby, several car parks have closed and indeed more will be closing in the next couple of years. Riverside, by the bus station was the first...and it always seemed busy to me. Then a car park has gone in Castleward (on the way to the railway station). Assembly Rooms car park will be next. I think Chapel Street is almost life expired. Maybe the days of inner City car parks are coming to an end.

derbybusdepot

The new car park is being built on car park 6. That is on the left when you enter afaik. Big car park between the hospital and the houses on Manor Road.. I think the problem we have with this hospital, and people ignore that when they talk about everyone going by bus, is the area is covers. A significant part of Derbyshire and East Staffs. For many of those people, the bus just isn't an option; and certainly not for many staff unless they live locally. I spoke to a few people I know about it. Not ONE said they would use the service bus or even a taxi. Personally, I just wouldn't take my car, cos I want to get to my appointment on time...well when I get there early, I go in early, cos others are late. No doubt it will cause traffic chaos. May well make the Mickleover/Villager service even less reliable than it is now.

When you look around Derby, several car parks have closed and indeed more will be closing in the next couple of years. Riverside, by the bus station was the first...and it always seemed busy to me. Then a car park has gone in Castleward (on the way to the railway station). Assembly Rooms car park will be next. I think Chapel Street is almost life expired. Maybe the days of inner City car parks are coming to an end.
Car park 6 is one of, if not the largest car park on the site. Last time I went people were queuing to get in, even though there was no queue for car park 7. It is quite chaotic as it is now, and that's before a large portion of parking has been removed. For those not familiar with it, the hospital site has a one way anti clockwise loop running around it. Opt for 6 you may queue, but go for 7 and it's full then you have to go round again.

So, why not use the bus? Generally you need two buses to get there - so best part of £8 per person going via the city centre. The buses that stop in the hospital site do not go into the bus station, so not easy to connect between services. On top of that, even taking into account the poor car parks, it takes longer to get there and back.

Many of those with bus passes still drive there or get a taxi, so it is not purely cost that puts people off the bus. It is the ease, a reliability of the services offered. Perhaps more cross city services are needed, despite the operational problems they can create. At the very least a more seamless way to change between buses in Derby.

One major improvement would be to extend the royal to the bus station, and have it run around the hospital site again so that people can get nearer to where they want to go on the site. There are bus stops, but the service was cut back to just serve the main entrance. I believe the uni hopper still runs around the hospital site?

Established Member
One major improvement would be to extend the royal to the bus station, and have it run around the hospital site again so that people can get nearer to where they want to go on the site. There are bus stops, but the service was cut back to just serve the main entrance. I believe the uni hopper still runs around the hospital site?
The hopper bus still run round the hospital.

According to a post on a local Facebook group the villager MMC's are due to hit the road in July.

joieman

Press release on Trentbarton's website regarding the new buses:

More than 25 brand new buses will be joining trentbarton’s fleet this summer, operating on ilkeston flyer, the villager, H1 and the mickleover.
The £6 million investment will see 23 low-emission buses, built in England, improving the journeys of customers on the Derby routes including from towns such as Alfreton, Burton, Heanor and Ilkeston, plus dozens of villages.
This new 2024 investment follows a 2023’s £4 million spend on 20 new buses for the threes connecting Nottingham, Hucknall, Kirkby, Sutton and Mansfield.
Tom Morgan, Managing Director of trentbarton, said: “In the last two years we will have invested more than £10 million in more than 45 new low-emission buses, each of which emits less nitrogen dioxide than a new car.
“This will take the number of low-emission buses in our fleet to more than 200. We're replacing buses that are more than ten years old in some places, so this will make a significant improvement to the quality of the service we deliver.
“We're committed to continued investment in our fleet. We're sure our customers will appreciate the upgrade, encouraging people to see the bus as the best, greenest and most relaxing and productive way to travel.”
The cleaner, greener Enviro200 buses are built by Alexander Dennis, with the multi-million Pound order also including new spare vehicles to join the fleet.
Each Enviro200 will feature three large skylights to create a light space inside and super bright LED destination screens, under seat lighting and an illuminated front logo. They're equipped with USB power at every seat and wireless charging docks. In addition, and for the first time, forward facing next stop displays will ensure that live next stop information is available for all customers on board, including those making use of the areas which can facilitate customers using pushchairs, wheel chairs and mobility aids.
Alexander Dennis Retail Sales Director, Charlie Miller, added: “trentbarton continues to live up to its reputation as the really good bus company with these really good Enviro200 low-emission buses. We’re delighted to have again been chosen as a supplier and we look forward to continuing this relationship with another 29 buses new Enviro200 buses this year, as well as supporting the buses throughout their operational life with our AD24 aftermarket service.”
The first batch of new buses arrive in the summer, with six destined for ilkeston flyer, five for the villager and six each for H1 and the mickleover.
All the new buses, which feature weight-saving design, meet the latest Euro VI emissions standard including for NOx.
With a full bus carrying 15 times more people than a full car – and many cars carrying only the driver at peak times – the new buses will provide a cleaner choice of transport for people travelling in and out of Derby and elsewhere along the routes.
Tom said: “We invite car drivers to try travelling on these smart new buses, because the more cars left at home means less congestion, quicker bus journeys and a virtuous circle that means we can invest even more in new buses in the future.”
This ongoing investment reaffirms our commitment to the East Midlands region and follows a proven track record of investment over decades of service. I’m sure this is recognised by our future Mayor who we hope will support committed, locally owned operators like ourselves and work in partnership with us to deliver further improvement to public transport across the region.

Trainman40083

The hopper bus still run round the hospital.

According to a post on a local Facebook group the villager MMC's are due to hit the road in July.
As far as I know, they haven't even started building them yet, so I'd still expect September.

Trainman40083

Car park 6 is one of, if not the largest car park on the site. Last time I went people were queuing to get in, even though there was no queue for car park 7. It is quite chaotic as it is now, and that's before a large portion of parking has been removed. For those not familiar with it, the hospital site has a one way anti clockwise loop running around it. Opt for 6 you may queue, but go for 7 and it's full then you have to go round again.

So, why not use the bus? Generally you need two buses to get there - so best part of £8 per person going via the city centre. The buses that stop in the hospital site do not go into the bus station, so not easy to connect between services. On top of that, even taking into account the poor car parks, it takes longer to get there and back.

Many of those with bus passes still drive there or get a taxi, so it is not purely cost that puts people off the bus. It is the ease, a reliability of the services offered. Perhaps more cross city services are needed, despite the operational problems they can create. At the very least a more seamless way to change between buses in Derby.

I'd imagine TB would not want the Royal to go anywhere near the bus station as that would take business away from the Mickleover. I think it was only really designed to connect the DRI and the Royal. But for an awful lot of people, bus service provision and connectivity in Derby is dire.. Then I wonder if they even got Spectrum working again; something I did value when I needed it Indeed, I've spoken to many people who feel likewise. Maybe they will start work on the A38 junctions at the same time as the car park works, to bring Derby to a standstill.

Teapot42

A Stagecoach E400 MMC is tracking around the Peak District, presumably doing test runs ahead of the Peak Sightseer relaunch on 11th May. No more information has been published by Stagecoach yet ahead of this.

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/syrk-11122

*Edit* The new timetable is avaliable on here: https://www.derbysbus.info/times/tt_A_Z.htm
I'd assume driver training / route learning?

Slightly worrying that Baslow to Mam Tor only just beat the timetable on a wet miserable day when the roads will be fairly quiet, with a much newer bus than will be used on the route.

Trainman40083

I saw a sign in Derby bus Station yesterday saying it was now back in use!
Thanks for that. But maybe with connectivity, most users might never see it there.

I'd assume driver training / route learning?

Slightly worrying that Baslow to Mam Tor only just beat the timetable on a wet miserable day when the roads will be fairly quiet, with a much newer bus than will be used on the route.
Yes route learning etc

Hyebone

A Stagecoach E400 MMC is tracking around the Peak District, presumably doing test runs ahead of the Peak Sightseer relaunch on 11th May. No more information has been published by Stagecoach yet ahead of this.

https://bustimes.org/vehicles/syrk-11122

*Edit* The new timetable is avaliable on here: https://www.derbysbus.info/times/tt_A_Z.htm
Confirmed by a driver on facebook, they were indeed route learning for the sightseer. They opted for a closed top due to the weather today

Also, Trentbarton 216 worked a Kinchbus 9 to Loughborough this evening due to allocated bus 501 suffering an air leak. Driver took 501 to Manvers garage. 501 also suffered a low speed collision on a corner in West Bridgford this morning, minor panel damage to the offside.

Last edited:

Teapot42

Confirmed by a driver on facebook, they were indeed route learning for the sightseer. They opted for a closed top due to the weather today
One thought, have Stagecoach managed to secure enough drivers to run the much expanded service? They seemed to still be cancelling the odd one and last year the introduction of the Sightseer led to a lot of disruption to local Chesterfield services. Arguably it led to the loss of our service - it was regularly missing trips, passengers lost confidence and it was culled due to poor passenger numbers in the autumn.

Llandudno

Established Member
One thought, have Stagecoach managed to secure enough drivers to run the much expanded service? They seemed to still be cancelling the odd one and last year the introduction of the Sightseer led to a lot of disruption to local Chesterfield services. Arguably it led to the loss of our service - it was regularly missing trips, passengers lost confidence and it was culled due to poor passenger numbers in the autumn.
I fear you may be correct.

The problem now is that many frequencies on mainline Chesterfield depot services have been cut, I don’t think there are any services more frequent than every 15/20 minutes so dropping trips can lead to a gap in service of at least 30 minutes. Not helped by the fact that the Stagecoach app doesn’t delete cancelled buses until after its scheduled departure time.

A cynic might suggest that buses and drivers have been redeployed from frequent commercial services to operate more lucrative DCC contract and Government sponsored BSIP funded services?