• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NR 97/3's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbostar

Just curious as to what's happeneing lately with the 97/3's & the ERTMS project? Any ideas how long it's going on for, and what's happening to the 97/3's once the project is completed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
The 97s have to stay as they will be the only locos fitted with the ETCS equipment. As for the project, even Im losing patience with it now....

starrymarkb

Established Member
They'll probably be used until 66s get ERTMS (which won't be until a national roll out starts) - IIRC Norfolk was to be the next to get it. A tender went out for new units as part of that one, but I think its now on the back burner for while. Also I saw somewhere that there was talk of doing the GWML as part of electrification

The Planner

Veteran Member
ERTMS nationally is a loooooooong way off. You wont see 66s with it for a good few years.

mumrar

Established Member
I'm still unsure why we need such vigorous testing of a system that's used all over Europe...
Because the system has never been used by traincrew here, signallers here, S&T engineers here and basically all staff in the UK who will come in to contact with it. Or do you advocate bringing in lots of staff from abroad, who know the systems, therefore depriving our own struggling employment market of much needed jobs?

At the moment they only seem to be used infrequently presumably for crew training. They either go as light engines or as pairs of light engines, although earlier in the year they were hauling a few NR liveried carriages around. I haven't seen them on the Cambrian main line for a week or so.

asylumxl

Established Member
Because the system has never been used by traincrew here, signallers here, S&T engineers here and basically all staff in the UK who will come in to contact with it. Or do you advocate bringing in lots of staff from abroad, who know the systems, therefore depriving our own struggling employment market of much needed jobs?

That's funny. I could swear HS1 has ERTMS...

And having it on this one line will allow the entire UK Rail Industry to learn to use the system? Obviously I do not wish to bring foreign drivers and signallers here, but I don't see the issue in bringing in a foreign company to implement and roll out the technology while training British staff in its use.

After all, ERTMS was made by "foreigners" and NR is being supplied by Ansaldo STS.

starrymarkb

Established Member
IIRC it uses both, the two systems are not mutually exclusive. Gives SNCF some flexibility to send older TGVs down LGV Est if required

Pumbaa

Established Member
I'm still unsure why we need such vigorous testing of a system that's used all over Europe...

NR/Ansaldo got the DIY kit and did what all men do and thought "sod the instruction manual". Result? The installation's cack and heavily delayed.

Basically gross mismanagement and incompetence at almost every level. You couldn't make it up!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Well it is Ansaldo.... Have they managed to get any Fyras for NS working yet?

No :lol: Still testing last time I checked. 2011 being chucked about as entry into service. Was meant to be start of 2011, but I'm not holding my breath!

Status
Not open for further replies.