• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NRM Balcony and Signalling Display

ryan125hst

Established Member
Has the National Railway Museum's balcony been permanently closed now following the conversion of the workshop to the Wonderlab? I have noticed on videos of York station that there appears to be two large air conditioning units on what appears to be the balcony. Someone also said the signalling displays have been removed on a Trip Advisor review. It's a huge shame if so as I have always enjoyed looking at the live signalling screens. I remember when they had a few CRT screens there, then it was upgraded to the flat screens. The live departure boards were also a great touch. It doesn't seem to be shown on the map anymore. I presume the small signal box used for demonstrations has been removed as well?

Can anyone who has attended recently confirm this to be the case?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Last time I was at the NRM several years ago, I enquired about the small demo box on the gallery, and was told it wasn't useable - no detailed reason was given to me, alas. So perhaps it's gone?

james_the_xv

Last time I was at the NRM several years ago, I enquired about the small demo box on the gallery, and was told it wasn't useable - no detailed reason was given to me, alas. So perhaps it's gone?
I did hear a rumour a while ago that signalling display was locked OOU because a child trapped a finger in one of the levers and the parents threatened to sue the museum. Unsubstantiated but completely believable, must have been early 2010s I last was there when it wasn't locked off?

John Webb

Established Member
I did hear a rumour a while ago that signalling display was locked OOU because a child trapped a finger in one of the levers and the parents threatened to sue the museum. Unsubstantiated but completely believable, must have been early 2010s I last was there when it wasn't locked off?
Yes, fingers not being in levers is one of the things we play very close attention to when we're open to the public at St Albans South!

Spamcan81

Talking to a friend of mine who works at the NRM and he says there are plans to re-open the balcony but no date yet

ryan125hst

Established Member

I always thought the levers of that display were away from the public? I believe it is this one, which was on the right hand side as you came in from the Works balcony: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rs1979/50066293942/in/photostream/

Talking to a friend of mine who works at the NRM and he says there are plans to re-open the balcony but no date yet
I'm pleased to hear that. Is any signalling display going to be present or is it just the balcony that will return?

John Webb

Established Member
I always thought the levers of that display were away from the public? I believe it is this one, which was on the right hand side as you came in from the Works balcony: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rs1979/50066293942/in/photostream/
That's the one. It was always operated under supervision, hence the fencing-off. It's a Midland Railway Tappet frame, the version that followed the MR 'Tumbler' interlocking which we have a 44-lever version of at St Albans South.

Lemmy282

There used to be a frame in the Discovery Centre years ago that could be operated without supervision. Was the trapped finger one of the reasons the centre closed years ago.
I never saw the one near the balcony operated by anyone but a member of staff, in fact over all the visits I had there over many years I only saw it operated once, must have visited at the wrong times.

james_the_xv

Yeah, I do remember having a go on it as a child as it was an interactive display at one point (we're talking late 2010s though, as a semi-regular visitor there I remember it must have been out of use from around 2012 onwards?)
That's the one. It was always operated under supervision, hence the fencing-off.
Ah I see, I can't se I remember being supervised on it but that's probably more my memory than anything else :lol:

ryan125hst

Established Member

I'm starting to doubt whether this is the case. In this video of York station filmed last month, take a look at 42:10. Those air conditioning units are still there on the balcony. They are large and installed near to where the bench and departure board used to be. I can't imagine they'd want the public to be stood on the balcony next to those.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Well it seems I was wrong. The NRM announced yesterday that the balcony is now open again and there is also a new Signalling Gallery. I don't think the live signalling screens have returned sadly (no images of this shown on the social media posts and one of the photos shows the area that used to have the screens with printed information instead). However, it's great to see the balcony open again as well as the signalling gallery back.