• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NS Dutch ticketing query

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, all being well I hope to be travelling to the Netherlands in a few months.

Whilst there, I may want to travel from Amsterdam Lelylaan to Den Haag, I have looked on NS website, there seem to be some direct trains, otherwise change at AMS Airport, they quote a fare of 11.20 Euro each way but it says that the price is based on travelling with an OV-chipcard. (I know it is 1 euro more if I but at a ticket machine) But would the 11.20 fare also apply if booked online. I don't have a chipcard ? and for a quick visit, it does not seem worth getting one.

When in AMS and Den Haag, I would prob just buy a day ticket. I presume you can but them on the trams, metro of local transport offices in AMS Lelylaan/CS or Den Haag CS?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spoorslag '70

The shortest possible answer: Yes and yes!

(slightly longer: When booking an E-Ticket online, you will get the normal OV-Chipcard fare without any supplement. Tickets are sold on board the trams in both Amsterdam and Den Haag (from the conductor in Amsterdam and from the TVM or from the driver (or have they finally retrofitted all trams with TVMs?)) at TVMs in Metro stations (in the case of Amsterdam) and from their ticket offices (which are quite rare, but there are some at the central stations at least))

dutchflyer

Established Member
The dotted code on e tix allow you to open some (the ones with glassed thingies) on gates-as @lelyln. the no-change SPR trains are very slow and stop everywhere and stand in Leiden to let the IC pass for some 10 mins.
GVB= local AMS has 24 hr tix, can be bought also on trams, pay CARD only-cash banned since a few yrs now. or in all metro stations machines. GVB has office across from AMS CS and In Bijlmer. They also have a machine IN the Schiphol concourse. depending on how long you stay and what to travel you may also consider the ATT or ARTT-check tripadvisor forum for more details, it may lower the total outlay and/or give you more value for money. In print there is only the touristy brochure with centre-map inside.
HTM= operator for den Haag, DAY tix and they have machines IN trams and offices In the combo-office In CS and beside the entry to left (coming out) at dHg HS. Also still old-style printed timetables per line and maps/explaining brochures.
Note that these day tix you also MUST check In + OUT on every trip made. If not, they may cease to work after a few missing links.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Ok, Thank you for this useful information. I am looking forward to my visit. Trying out the new return Eurostar service from London to and from Amsterdam. Am staying about 5 mins walk from Lelylaan Station as hotels were a bit cheaper in that area than in the main city centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.