• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Number of NR signal boxes today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroom_boy

On Wikipedia it states in 2011 NR had 845 signal boxes; I can't find a more recent number. Are there less than 500 now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
On Wikipedia it states in 2011 NR had 845 signal boxes; I can't find a more recent number. Are there less than 500 now?
This Network Rail page from 2019 had 86 listed ones in use:

But fewer signal boxes still work as part of our signalling systems. At the end of 2019, there were 166 listed signal boxes on our network, including 86 still in use.

I believe a thread a year or so ago said there wwere about 600 boxes in operation. Can't find it just now, sorry.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think this may have been the thread I was thinking of, slightly older than I remember:

I think that's just the number of listed signal boxes. There are clearly far more than that still in use overall.
Yes, it is. I said as much.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think this may have been the thread I was thinking of, slightly older than I remember:

Yes, it is. I said as much.
That's not what your post said when I quoted it, see above! ;)

TheBigD

Established Member
Pretty sure the signalbox opening hours are somewhere on the Network Rail website.
You could probably work out the number of signalboxes from that should you so desire.

MadMac

You could well be right that it's dipped under 600, but it's around that figure from a quick look at a list I have.
I did a count of lever frame boxes in Scotland a few months ago for a discussion on the Signalling Record Society forum and it was about 50. Someone else did a "national" count and got just over 300 boxes with frames, 25 of which were purely "gate boxes".

MadMac

_toommm_

Established Member
It's improved from the last time I looked at it, but there are still three, at a quick glance, Scottish boxes that have closed and are not noted as such. It also shows Barnhill as closing at 16:00 on Sunday: I'm sure that trains run through Perth to Dundee and beyond after that time.....

The box might close and be switched out, so that it created a longer signal section controlled from a different box.

Railsigns

Established Member
The box might close and be switched out, so that it created a longer signal section controlled from a different box.
Barnhill box can't switch out because it's single track in one direction and double track in the other, and somebody has to operate the points.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think I’m right in saying that these are compiled in Milton Keynes. Does nobody talk to the locals in each area?
If a box is closing then it should go through Network Change so its picked up officially there, but of course we speak to boxes, LOMs etc...

High Dyke

Established Member
I think I’m right in saying that these are compiled in Milton Keynes. Does nobody talk to the locals in each area?
If a box is closing then it should go through Network Change so its picked up officially there, but of course we speak to boxes, LOMs etc...
Well I've previously had calls from soneone in Milton Keynes, asking why they (the caller) can't get an answer at [such & such]] signal box. They seemed surprised when they were advised that particular location had closed a few years earlier.

So yes, the information can be inaccurate. Like The Planner says though they do speak to LOM's and other signal boxes. However, processing of that information does take some time to filter through the system.

matchmaker

Established Member
It's improved from the last time I looked at it, but there are still three, at a quick glance, Scottish boxes that have closed and are not noted as such. It also shows Barnhill as closing at 16:00 on Sunday: I'm sure that trains run through Perth to Dundee and beyond after that time.....
It also shows Stirling North as being closed on Sundays. I don't think this is now the case (since the conversion of Cornton AHB to MCB-OD?)

MadMac

It also shows Stirling North as being closed on Sundays. I don't think this is now the case (since the conversion of Cornton AHB to MCB-OD?)
It used to close on Sundays from at least when Cornton became an AHB - I think the closing switch was taken out in conjunction with electrification!

Well I've previously had calls from soneone in Milton Keynes, asking why they (the caller) can't get an answer at [such & such]] signal box. They seemed surprised when they were advised that particular location had closed a few years earlier.

So yes, the information can be inaccurate. Like The Planner says though they do speak to LOM's and other signal boxes. However, processing of that information does take some time to filter through the system.
There was a story told somewhere about a derailment at Westbury prior to the power box opening: apparently Control suggested putting in Single Line Working to Westbury Middle box, until it was pointed out that said box had been closed and demolished about five years previously…..

Railsigns

Established Member
It used to close on Sundays from at least when Cornton became an AHB - I think the closing switch was taken out in conjunction with electrification!
Stirling North box ceased to switch out when the line was electrified, but the block switch was removed under the Cornton MCB-OD project.

Status
Not open for further replies.