• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NYMR news and updates.

John Webb

Established Member
I note from observing the webcams that a class 4 Tank 80116 has appeared on trains - I couldn't see this mentioned in guest locos for the recent Gala. Is it an extra? Or is it one of the residents temporarily renumbered? Only it isn't listed in either of my books on preserved locos.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkyLad

I note from observing the webcams that a class 4 Tank 80116 has appeared on trains - I couldn't see this mentioned in guest locos for the recent Gala. Is it an extra? Or is it one of the residents temporarily renumbered? Only it isn't listed in either of my books on preserved locos.......
It is 80136 renumbered as a former Whitby loco.

After seeing Leander at the East Lancashire Railway for their Gala this weekend. Was thinking it would be good to have one of them come for a gala as I feel its been many years since the last one visited the railway.

alexl92

Established Member
I was surprised that they didn’t hire a Jub for the 50th anniversary gala as it would have made an interesting visitor - arguably much more so than a Standard 4.

I really hope Leander’s next overhaul sees it repainted, preferably back to LMS red.

Ryry

9f failed this morning causing some cancellations on the nymr today. Rescued by class 37

Ryry

With the 2023 season coming to the end let's look back .
Class 47 ironically a no shown
825 failed and not used .
Standard 4mt failed
Class 31 ex ews now and permanent feature
Dmu not used this year

william.martin

On Moderation
With the 2023 season coming to the end let's look back .
Class 47 ironically a no shown
825 failed and not used .
Standard 4mt failed
Class 31 ex ews now and permanent feature
Dmu not used this year
And the Q6 blew an RH cylinder.

SeanG

Established Member
I think it's a shame that the DMU is not in use. I would have thought that it would be good for mid week services outside of the school holidays

Also, the 25 hasn't been out in a while that I have seen and the 31s are preferred, any reason for this?

Established Member
I think it's a shame that the DMU is not in use. I would have thought that it would be good for mid week services outside of the school holidays

Also, the 25 hasn't been out in a while that I have seen and the 31s are preferred, any reason for this?
The 25 was in the shed last week with a missing drivers window at one end, all carefully covered up with a plastic sheet taped over it so guessing it's not likely to be out any time soon.

ricj

Can anyone give any updates on the status of Hartland's overhaul progress? Apart from work on the firebox which has been shown in some NYMRfootage Youtube videos, any other information doesn't seem to exist.

Is there a planned schedule or is it just a case of as and when there is time for work to be carried out? I'm sure I've read most years that it should be back in traffic 'this year' or 'next year'. For me it's a sorely missed loco (along with Dame Vera Lynn) from my teenage years in the mid 90's and it'd be great to see it back in action again.

I do find it a bit odd that 44806 was chosen for overhaul when it will be working alongside 5428 (although I'm sure there's a reason for that) when they could've had a bit more variety of motive power. Although it will be good to see two Black Fives working together. Seems there might also be two standard tanks working together soon too if 80135's overhaul is making good progress?

Ploughman

Established Member
As far as we know, there are no major works this year.
Any work will be routine maintenance.

If i find out differently I will post details.
There is likely to be train moves offloading ballast, Tamping and Regulating and collection of any scrap remaining on the lineside.

In Newbridge we will also be continuing with overhaul work on the Civils fleet of vehicles.
Volunteers welcome generally Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Heard today that 5 points in Pickering are to be renewed.

Last edited:

YorkyLad

Any trains between Xmas and New Year this time? Thought I heard Chris Price say there would be, during the AGM?

Any trains between Xmas and New Year this time? Thought I heard Chris Price say there would be, during the AGM?
To answer my own question, Moorsline mentions trains between 27th Dec and 7th Jan but no more detail than that.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
There's an interesting initiative afoot on the NYMR, which some of here may wish to partake in.

From 28th December to January 7th, the NYMR are running a daily Pickering to Whitby return service. There's not much on at this time of year in terms of heritage railways, so ideal for anyone at a loose end with any time-off work, also winter steam is more atmospheric in my opinion. I may well visit myself. The journey is covered with the £45 annual ticket, so you can return within 12 months as many times as you like too. Does anyone know what steam locomotives are likely to be available for this please? (ie the mainline registered ones, as I'm hoping to catch a different loco to Sir Eric Treacy or the Southern ones, although that's not a deal breaker). Also interesting is that they don't call anywhere on route between Pickering and Whitby, so interesting for some potential non-stopping of some of the stations.

Whitby Winter Excursions​

If you’re already planning things to do between Christmas and New Year, why not get everyone out of the house to take one of our special steam-hauled excursions to Whitby!
It’s that strange time of year when you’re never quite sure what day of the week it is, what you’re supposed to be doing or what routine ever felt like - but it’s the perfect time for a heritage train ride!
Come with the family and enjoy a winter’s day out from Pickering and blow the cobwebs away at the seaside, or perhaps work off some of that Christmas pudding with a brisk walk in the fresh seaside air.
GetImage.aspx
These pre-booked, seat allocated services, depart from Pickering Station every day from Thursday 28 December 2023 to Sunday 7 January 2024 and traverse the North York Moors National Park to Whitby. Here you will have just over an hour and a half (2h & 30m on Sundays) to spend in the town before the steam hauled service returns from Whitby back to Pickering.
The Station Tea Room at Pickering will be open from 10:00 am (09:15 am on Sundays), serving Bacon Rolls, Tasty Snacks, Hot Drinks and Alcoholic & Non-Alcoholic Drinks.
There will also be an on-board Buffet Carriage or a Trolley Service available on each service. Cash & Cards Accepted.

Dates & Times​

Every day from Thursday 28 December 2023 to Sunday 7 January 2024. Departing at 11:10 am (10:15 am on Sundays) from Pickering and 2:30 pm departure from Whitby. Journey time is approx. 1h & 45m in each direction.

Fares​

Adult: £45, Child: Free, Dog: £3
Member Rate - Adult: £22.50, Child: Free, Dog: Free
Premiere Life Member Rate - Adult: £0.00
Return visits using an Unlimited Annual Pass are valid for these special services, they must be booked online with your unique code. When paying the standard £45 rate (not Member rate), you get 12 months free to hop on and off the standard Bronze, Silver, and Gold services.

Gwr12345

There's an interesting initiative afoot on the NYMR, which some of here may wish to partake in.

From 28th December to January 7th, the NYMR are running a daily Pickering to Whitby return service. There's not much on at this time of year in terms of heritage railways, so ideal for anyone at a loose end with any time-off work, also winter steam is more atmospheric in my opinion. I may well visit myself. The journey is covered with the £45 annual ticket, so you can return within 12 months as many times as you like too. Does anyone know what steam locomotives are likely to be available for this please? (ie the mainline registered ones, as I'm hoping to catch a different loco to Sir Eric Treacy or the Southern ones, although that's not a deal breaker). Also interesting is that they don't call anywhere on route between Pickering and Whitby, so interesting for some potential non-stopping of some of the stations.

Interesting that they're cutting out the market from the Northeast, who normally join at Grosmont, but I suppose Pickering is much more useful for this coming from York way.

Iskra

Established Member
Interesting that they're cutting out the market from the Northeast, who normally join at Grosmont, but I suppose Pickering is much more useful for this coming from York way.
Yes, it is an interesting omission, but presumably to keep things as simple as possible in order to keep the number of staff needed down to a minimum, which is fair enough with it being a very off-peak operation.

John Webb

Established Member

Yes, it is an interesting omission, but presumably to keep things as simple as possible in order to keep the number of staff needed down to a minimum, which is fair enough with it being a very off-peak operation.
A little odd as they have to stop at Grosmont to acquire the token for the NR line to Whitby and drop it off on the way back.

1Q18

A little odd as they have to stop at Grosmont to acquire the token for the NR line to Whitby and drop it off on the way back.
Not having Grosmont as a passenger stop saves having to open up the station, I guess. They’ll just need a signaller.

Trestrol

Sorry I dispute that. I travel to Pickering from North Tyneside and it can take under two hours. This is via Bilsdale and Helmsley. I don't think it's that much longer than going to Grosmont.

Iskra

Established Member
Also, the fare would be £45 whether you board at Grosmont or Pickering anyway, so you may as well do Pickering and do the full line anyway.

I think it can only be Eric Treacy thats mainline registered, as 926 is on winter maintenance (to be ready for the new year of running) and 825 has been taken out for the start of its overhaul. Another option could be one steam hired in but dont think NYMR would do that. So could be the 9F or J27 from pickering and then switch to a class 31 or 25 at Grosmont to take it on to whitby.

Iskra

Established Member
I think it can only be Eric Treacy thats mainline registered, as 926 is on winter maintenance (to be ready for the new year of running) and 825 has been taken out for the start of its overhaul. Another option could be one steam hired in but dont think NYMR would do that. So could be the 9F or J27 from pickering and then switch to a class 31 or 25 at Grosmont to take it on to whitby.
Eric would be the best of the 3 I listed so that’s fine, more authentic than the Southern locos :) I’ve booked on now. I can’t see them and don’t expect them to get a second loco out for one train in each direction. There might be a back up diesel loco in case of steam failure.

Egton

Was the Class 24 formerly cleared for this? Is that coming back anytime soon?
Neither D5032 nor D5061 were ever registered to run on Network Rail to Whitby, however, it has been said that D5032 will be registered to run to Whitby once the current overhaul is complete.

Veteran Member
Sorry I dispute that. I travel to Pickering from North Tyneside and it can take under two hours. This is via Bilsdale and Helmsley. I don't think it's that much longer than going to Grosmont.
Googlemaps suggests it's 20min shorter to Grosmont, despite the poor access there. OTOH there's only about 80 parking spaces. Of course by rail Grosmont is easier from the NE, provided you can make the 1019 off Middlesbrough.

SeanG

Established Member
Googlemaps suggests it's 20min shorter to Grosmont, despite the poor access there. OTOH there's only about 80 parking spaces. Of course by rail Grosmont is easier from the NE, provided you can make the 1019 off Middlesbrough.
There are many more than 80 spaces in the National Park car park