• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd sighting at Kingston upon Thames Bay Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
When I was at Kingston upon Thames station yesterday around 2pm. I think what was part of the National Rail Test train came in on the Bay Platform 1. It was hauled by a diesel or diesel electric loco in SWT Colours and I think called "Battle of Britain" and at the other end was a similar loco but in BR Blue and I Think that was "called Swordfish" there were just 2 yellow coaches I think MK 3.

I could not see any staff on the train, but the windows were rather dirty.

Don't see many odd trains on these lines so it made a change. My 85 year old mother was less impressed though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
That is know as the "Network Rail Test Train". National Rail is the brand name for ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies). Network Rail is a separate entity which owns and maintains national rail infrastructure, operating in a partnership with SWT in their respective area.

The leading locomotive you saw was 73109 of Transmart Trains (despite the livery), and that tailing was 33103 of Bluebell Railway in BR Blue. (!)

Boothby97

Established Member
That is know as the "Network Rail Test Train". National Rail is the brand name for ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies). Network Rail is a separate entity which owns and maintains national rail infrastructure, operating in a partnership with SWT in their respective area.

The leading locomotive you saw was 73109 of Transmart Trains (despite the livery), and that tailing was 33103 of Bluebell Railway in BR Blue. (!)

73109 is now owned by RT Rail (who own 73107 & 73201)
You saw 73201 at the other end, as 33103 is not mainline registered. 73201 is named Broadlands
The coaches will of been of Mark 2 variant, Network Rail at the moment don't use Mark 3s on test trains

D365

Veteran Member
You saw 73201 at the other end, as 33103 is not mainline registered. 73201 is named Broadlands
The coaches will of been of Mark 2 variant, Network Rail at the moment don't use Mark 3s on test trains

They do use Mk3s in the NMT though, but that's more a HST! -Aside from that, yes, the NR Mk3 coach and DVT fleet has not come into use yet

Anyway, this man's got it! I assumed 33103 as the OP got the name "Swordfish" on a blue loco, but I didn't know of its operational status.

Last edited:

Boothby97

Established Member
They do use Mk3s in the NMT though, but that's more a HST!

Anyway, this man's got it! I assumed 33103 as the OP got the name "Swordfish" on a blue loco, but I didn't know of its operational status.

Forgot about the NMT
73109 & 73201 are reported as today working 1Q23 Hither Green-Hither Green
Yes, 33103 is owned by Nemesis Rail, in hire to Battlefield Railway but cannot run under its own power on the mainline (so has to be dragged/moved by road)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Were they class 73s? Di you get any numbers?

I Think they were 73s, but I did not get the numbers, however I think one of the other forum members has given these now.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Oh, OK, I thought they were MK3s as they did not have windows that opened along the top like MK1s and MK2s do. I did not realise that some MK2s were built like that, I guess they must be air-conditioned then.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I did not realise that some MK2s were built like that, I guess they must be air-conditioned then.

By my maths, 975 air conditioned Mark 2D, 2E and 2F were built for BR- over half the total production. I make it 901 Mark 2, 2A, 2B and 2C non air-conditioned with open-able windows.

Additionally: 72 air conditioned Mark 2Ds for IE and a number (anyone know?) of Mark 2B non-air con for NIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.