• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off-peak day return

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi all,

I got on a train last night at 03:40. I had an off-peak day return dated 12/02/16. It was my understanding that day returns were valid until 04:30 the following morning, but the guard chartered me for a new single full fare ticket!!

Was she right or was I?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi all,

I got on a train last night at 03:40. I had an off-peak day return dated 12/02/16. It was my understanding that day returns were valid until 04:30 the following morning, but the guard chartered me for a new single full fare ticket!!

Was she right or was I?

Thanks.

What time did your journey finish?

gray1404

Established Member
What train were you travelling on and which train company operated the service?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Personally, I would have refused to pay on the basis I already had presented a valid ticket and also refused to be drawn into any discussion on the matter. I've no time for staff who give out incorrect information.

dquebec

A time restriction may apply, however, to the Off Peak Day Return. Depends on the specific restriction code applicable to the journey.

If it was a London to Watford CDR, it has restriction DM, which prevents travel before 09:15, so an excess would be due. Obviously we don't know your journey specifics to see whether something similar applies.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
A time restriction may apply, however, to the Off Peak Day Return. Depends on the specific restriction code applicable to the journey.

If it was a London to Watford CDR, it has restriction DM, which prevents travel before 09:15, so an excess would be due. Obviously we don't know your journey specifics to see whether something similar applies.

Surely that restriction applies to the day for which the ticket is issued and doesn't override the 0429 rule? And it was the early morning of a Saturday too.

Last edited:

The Snap

Established Member
Hi all,

It was on-board a Northern services, and having checked the BRFares website there appear to be no restrictions on the off-peak day return which make it invalid before 04:29.

In terms of refusing to pay, I figured that given I'd had a few beers, it made more sense to not kick up a fuss and risk her pulling the "drunk passenger refusing to pay" card!

Thanks for the advice, I'm writing to the TOC as we speak.

talldave

Established Member
Hi all,

It was on-board a Northern services, and having checked the BRFares website there appear to be no restrictions on the off-peak day return which make it invalid before 04:29.

In terms of refusing to pay, I figured that given I'd had a few beers, it made more sense to not kick up a fuss and risk her pulling the "drunk passenger refusing to pay" card!

Thanks for the advice, I'm writing to the TOC as we speak.

Ask for compensation for the inconvenience/humiliation as well as a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.