• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak ticket not valid on a certain train despite it passing all restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangyiscute

Established Member
So I often travel from Reading to London at early times, and the off peak day return/travelcard has the generic restriction O9 "Not valid on trains timed to depart after 04:29 and before 09:30 (Not before 09:31 from Reading.)", and diving into the unpublished restrictions, this is exactly what they describe.
It therefore doesn't make any sense to me why this ticket couldn't be used on the 03:55 from Reading to Paddington arriving at 04:49 - some similar tickets have a restriction on arriving into Paddington between 04:29 and 10:00, but this one does not seem to - could anyone suggest why the ticket isn't valid on this train, and if its just a mistake, if I take this train with an off peak ticket and then, if questioned on the train, show them the restrictions with this restriction code, would they let me travel with that ticket?
Also just to add it can be used on the 02:24 train, so it isn't an issue with it sort of being the previous day in railway terms.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the issue maybe that the 0355 train from Reading arrives London Paddington at a time after 0430?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
Could I use this ticket to Hayes & Harlington (where it arrives at 04:28) and then buy a single from Hayes to London since that would be cheaper than buying an anytime fare?

miklcct

On Moderation
Could I use this ticket to Hayes & Harlington (where it arrives at 04:28) and then buy a single from Hayes to London since that would be cheaper than buying an anytime fare?
How about splitting into two returns, Reading - Hayes & Harlington and Hayes & Harlington - Paddington?

jfollows

Established Member
I don't understand why you can't use the ticket - when you say that it couldn't be used on the 03:55 from Reading are you saying that you can't buy this ticket against an itinerary for this particular train? In which case it appears to me that the ticket restrictions are coded wrongly (as JonathanH says above). So I'd suggest you do as you originally propose and have a copy of the restriction wording just in case, although I suspect you're not going to get asked and queried at that time of the morning. I don't see why you should pay extra when your ticket is valid in the first place! Or have I completely missed the point?

alistairlees

Established Member
I don't understand why you can't use the ticket - when you say that it couldn't be used on the 03:55 from Reading are you saying that you can't buy this ticket against an itinerary for this particular train? In which case it appears to me that the ticket restrictions are coded wrongly (as JonathanH says above). So I'd suggest you do as you originally propose and have a copy of the restriction wording just in case, although I suspect you're not going to get asked and queried at that time of the morning. I don't see why you should pay extra when your ticket is valid in the first place! Or have I completely missed the point?
The words on the NRE website don't agree with the restrictions data provided by the TOCs / RDG.
Just choose whichever you prefer.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Looks to me like the unpublished restrictions are incorrect. And they are just that: unpublished.

Rely on the published NRE version if you have any pushback.

sot

Looks to me like the unpublished restrictions are incorrect. And they are just that: unpublished.

Rely on the published NRE version if you have any pushback.
Which would be definitive? Also is there any other case where the sales outright refuse to sell a.ticket but it is technically valid

mikeg

Established Member
Which would be definitive? Also is there any other case where the sales outright refuse to sell a.ticket but it is technically valid
Yes restriction code BT is another one. Valid after 0430, except if going via Luton, where CI and CJ apply. But if the train later goes via Luton, even if you don't, the journey planners block its sale for times where such a ticket would be barred going via Luton. This even seems to apply if you get nowhere near Luton. I've seen tickets to East Midlands Parkway blocked for sale from up North for this reason.

Of course a ticket office will happily sell such a ticket. We really need a rethink on journey planner design. Especially we need to have a 'just buy a ticket' mode on journey planner TVMs.

DailyCommuter

Contactless from Reading to Paddington is charged at off-peak provided the tap in is before 06:30 and is regardless of the exit time.

This gives a longer early morning off-peak window than paper tickets.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Contactless from Reading to Paddington is charged at off-peak provided the tap in is before 06:30 and is regardless of the exit time.

This gives a longer early morning off-peak window than paper tickets.
Touching in at 0355 counts for the previous day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.