• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak Time Restrictions - Starting later

markymark2000

On Moderation
I have a ticket from Liverpool to somewhere but I am wanting to start my journey in Chester (Leaving from Chester, when I return, I am going to Liverpool). Routing guide yellow pages show the relevant station pairs say that routing can be done using the 'BV' map (essentially Liverpool to Crewe via Winsford or via Chester) so I am ok to change my starting point on this journey according to their map. Ticket has a 'CS' restriction code though so not valid on trains departing before 9am. Now, my question is, I am starting my journey at another point than is on my ticket though, can I board the 09:20 Avanti from Chester on this ticket with this restriction or not?
I am boarding a train which is scheduled to leave after the restriction ends, but I am not starting my journey at that point.

Any help on this one would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mainline421

Yes, that ticket is valid for leaving at 09:20. There isn't any requirement to start from the station on the ticket (or make up a fictional itinerary that did :lol:)

Benjwri

Established Member
Although from experience I can’t imagine if your ticket is checked you’ll get away with it without a fight. Especially if you go through Euston gateline.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Although from experience I can’t imagine if your ticket is checked you’ll get away with it without a fight. Especially if you go through Euston gateline.
Tickets through or via Euston usually have a restriction based on the arrival time at Euston. And ticket checks on arrival are very rare if using Avanti.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Somewhere like Nantwich?
No, not that way.

Especially if you go through Euston gateline.
I'm not going Euston so hopefully I am ok.

Yes, that ticket is valid for leaving at 09:20. There isn't any requirement to start from the station on the ticket (or make up a fictional itinerary that did :lol:)
There is no possible fictional itinerary which could leave Liverpool at 09:00 and get to Chester for 09:20.

I'll give it a go and hopefully I don't get fined. I'll be fine on the rest of my journey, it's just this 09:20 from Chester which could flag up an issue if someone questions it.

Benjwri

Established Member
Tickets through or via Euston usually have a restriction based on the arrival time at Euston. And ticket checks on arrival are very rare if using Avanti.
Ahhh I didn't read this was to Liverpool , just saw Chester and assumed Euston!