• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

O'hare Airport to Chicago Union Station: cutting it too fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroom_boy

Hello I'm just planning a trip for next month. I've got a flight landing at O'hare airport Chicago and need to catch Empire Builder train from Chicago Union Station; timings are these

11.55 flight due in
[90 mins to clear immigration, and navigate airport - only have hand luggage]
13.30 catch the blue line metro to Clinton station
14:20 walk to union station
14:30 arrive and check in at Amtrak
15:05 train departs.

Obviously the biggest unknown is clearing immigration, is 90min optimistic?

And do Amtrak insist on a minimum half hour check-in?

Think it's doable if the stars align! Anyone have any insights to this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Immigration could take a lot longer than 90 minutes.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was "fast tracked" through immigration at New York JFK recently but that was only because I had a slightly less than two hours connection into another flight from the same terminal at JFK that I arrived at.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If I was you I would book a night in Chicago and catch the train the next day. There is plenty to see and do in Chicago.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That seems to be cutting it very fine. Any delay will see you missing the train, which wouldn't exactly be great seeing as the train only runs daily and may be sold out for the following day, especially during peak periods.

I'd apply for Global Entry to save time, if rebooking the flight or train isn't an option. This allows you to skip the long immigration queue and use a separate queue that's got automated machines similar to the e-gates you get when entering the UK and most European countries.

You'll want to the ball rolling on a Global Entry application now as it can take time, though in my case it took only a few hours for the UK background check to come back, and a day or so for the US application to be conditionally approved. The UK background check costs £42 and Global Entry is $100 (~£79); it lasts 5 years.

To complete the process you need to have an interview, which you can do upon arrival in the US as long as you're arriving at a major port of entry (such as O'Hare Airport). Even with the interview (which usually only takes a few minutes and tends to be largely a formality so long as your checks have come back clear), I'd anticipate the process being much quicker than the normal queue, which can be very long if you've just arrived after another busy flight.

Global Entry also allows you to use the TSA Pre-Check queue when going through US airport security - this avoids having to take off your shoes or take out any liquids or electronics, and generally seems to be much quicker than the normal queue.

Backroom_boy

Thanks for everyone's comments so far. Leaning towards having a night in Chicago and traveling the next day

Btw any insights on how rigid Amtrak is about checking in for their trains? Am traveling in a coach seat with unchecked luggage

mrmartin

I don't think you'll make that. Immigration can be extremely variable, but often terrible. Even if it wasn't there is a fairly high likelihood of a 30min-1hr delay on your flight which would screw it up regardless of immigration queues.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Mad idea. Get a hotel and have a night in Chicago. Great city and much less stressful than the plan in the OP.

philg999

I landed at ORD from a transatlantic flight at 3pm on a Sunday in June and was through immigration in 45 minutes. I recall we were the first international arrival of the mid-afternoon after quite a long gap and it was only folks on my plane which were being cleared. I was reasonably quick off the plane - row 23. If you’re last off or if they’re still clearing people from an earlier flight, or short staffed, I can imagine the wait being quite a bit longer…. Also bear in mind your flight can easily be delayed, especially if it’s leaving from Heathrow.

Oh there’s no guarantee you will land at the same terminal that contains the metro station so you may need to factor in a long walk as well.

Last edited:
Btw any insights on how rigid Amtrak is about checking in for their trains? Am traveling in a coach seat with unchecked luggage
Most of my Amtrak LD travel has been in sleeper, but generally when your train departure is announced and the track number is displayed, you proceed to the track and platform and one of the train crew will check your ticket and assign you to a carriage (coach car). Generally they segregate passengers according to where they are getting off so that e.g. people getting off in the middle of the night can be easily located without waking everyone else. Also this train divides at Spokane so Seattle and Portland passengers go in different coaches. Enjoy your trip! I haven't been on it myself (on my bucket list) but it is one of the most scenic routes on Amtrak.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Has been setteld now, so this is a just a remark after: PLANEs are very, very often very, very late-transatlantic, though there is even also the odd day they arrive in early (though due to prevailing winds this is more often the case coming FROM USA).
In lower season airlines also like to bundle 2 flites into 1, making a stop in between, thus even more delays as that timetable suggests. And they have a 6 hr leeway untill compensation is due-so magically this is not that often reached.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Has been setteld now, so this is a just a remark after: PLANEs are very, very often very, very late-transatlantic, though there is even also the odd day they arrive in early (though due to prevailing winds this is more often the case coming FROM USA).
This is true - and an unexpectedly strong jetstream (common in autumn and winter) can cause the scheduled times to become impossible to meet.

In lower season airlines also like to bundle 2 flites into 1, making a stop in between, thus even more delays as that timetable suggests
I have never heard of this happening before. Perhaps this might happen with a low cost carrier if they cancel a route, to avoid having to pay for passengers to be re-routed on other airlines, but I can't imagine any major carrier doing it. London to Chicago is also a key route between hubs, so flights will only be cancelled on or near the day as a last resort. Nevertheless, most airlines average around a 1% cancellation rate, so a cancellation can't be ruled out. If alternative same-day direct flights are full, that's when re-routing might involve having to change somewhere (e.g. Detroit or somewhere on the East Coast).

And they have a 6 hr leeway untill compensation is due-so magically this is not that often reached.
The threshold for EU/UK261 delay compensation is 3 hours, with higher compensation payable after 4 hours for long-haul flights such as these. Of course airlines try their best to wriggle out of paying compensation and few pay it up without hassle or delay.

Whisky Papa

It might be worth metioning that it is possible to completely avoid US Immigration at Chicago by flying from/via Dublin, where it is done before boarding. We did took this route in 2022, and it was a joy to just stroll out of a domestic terminal at O'Hare. Our previous trip in 2018 on a direct flight from Manchester (that was discontinued soon after) arrived with several other international flights and did indeed take over 90 minutes to clear.

FOH

The last 2 times I've flown from Heathrow to Chicago the flights left roughly 2 hours late (BA). On the ground 90mins sounds roughly right. 1st time for me was immigration, 2nd time immigration was empty but bags took an hour.

Backroom_boy

OK little trip update.
I would have made the Amtrak connection but I would have been really stressed about it so delaying till today was a wise move.

And first time on Amtrak which I'm starting to think is a bit like the UK sleepers; the idea is more attractive than the reality...

DelW

Established Member
OK little trip update.
I would have made the Amtrak connection but I would have been really stressed about it so delaying till today was a wise move.

And first time on Amtrak which I'm starting to think is a bit like the UK sleepers; the idea is more attractive than the reality...
How far are you going on the Empire Builder? Right through to the west coast?

Backroom_boy

How far are you going on the Empire Builder? Right through to the west coast?
Nope, just to Minneapolis.

Arrangements at Chicago Union seem to combine the worst parts of air and rail travel.

Arbitrary queues, and seat allocation processes (which were abandoned so it was a free for all in the end) barely audible PA which gave out different instructions from the PIS, incredibly labour intensive staffing, buffet staff leaving boxes on seats to put the lounge car out of use.

It did leave bang on time though.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Nope, just to Minneapolis.

Arrangements at Chicago Union seem to combine the worst parts of air and rail travel.

Arbitrary queues, and seat allocation processes (which were abandoned so it was a free for all in the end) barely audible PA which gave out different instructions from the PIS, incredibly labour intensive staffing, buffet staff leaving boxes on seats to put the lounge car out of use.

It did leave bang on time though.
Agreed. It's an interesting way of seeing scenic lines, but air travel is simply much more convenient despite the security theatre (taken to the next level there, with even shoes having to be removed). Most of the onboard staff I've encountered also seem rather surly; it's a million miles apart from the typical customer service in restaurants, which almost seems intrusive from a European perspective.

Backroom_boy

Agreed. It's an interesting way of seeing scenic lines, but air travel is simply much more convenient despite the security theatre (taken to the next level there, with even shoes having to be removed). Most of the onboard staff I've encountered also seem rather surly; it's a million miles apart from the typical customer service in restaurants, which almost seems intrusive from a European perspective.
Seemingly it's any service industry where they don't get tips; cabin crew on American Airlines out here were almost comedically surly

Class800

Established Member
Took me 15 minutes at o'Hare in peak summer. My bigger concern would be the international arrivals is in a different terminal than departures and you have to get the internal train to t2 where the blue line station is. Signage very poor

Backroom_boy

Took me 15 minutes at o'Hare in peak summer. My bigger concern would be the international arrivals is in a different terminal than departures and you have to get the internal train to t2 where the blue line station is. Signage very poor
Yes agree about the signage. Also my debit card didn't work payg with barriers so had to get a paper ticket

rf_ioliver

Last time I went through O'Hare it was 3 hours...scudding questioning why I was arriving at immigration 3 hours late (which apparently was suspicious), I was in good company though, 300 other people were also 3 hours late including the pilots and cabin crew...but hey...freedom! Ended up missing my connecting flight, was put up in a hotel and rebooked next morning. Which lovely United then charged my 60USD for my bag because it wasn't included in the rebooked ticket (also questioned why I had missed my flight the night before)

Bigfoot

Fly into canada, then fly into the usa. You clear the USA border before you leave canada. The plus is entering canada is pain free a few questions on a touchscreen and I walked straight in.

Gaelan

Fly into canada, then fly into the usa. You clear the USA border before you leave canada. The plus is entering canada is pain free a few questions on a touchscreen and I walked straight in.
Ireland does the same - very useful when traveling from the UK.

Backroom_boy

OK back home now; on reflection the Amtrak long distance experience is better if it's almost considered not a railway and more of cruise liner with all the expected incidents, delays and 'slow-travel' that involves. Using the observation car against the backdrop of the magnificent Midwest fall were people playing cards, writing in notebooks, and painting watercolours.

If you organise your trip so you don't rely on the Amtrak timings it's very relaxing, and a window onto real America.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.