• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Irish Station names

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum, but does anyone have a list of Irish stations with suffixes, such as Cork Kent, Dublin Connolly and Dublin Pearse, that were added because of the IRA (or others), named after people

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hornet

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum, but does anyone have a list of Irish stations with suffixes, such as Cork Kent, Dublin Connolly and Dublin Pearse, that were added because of the IRA (or others), named after people

Johnson's Atlas and Gazetteer of the Railways of Ireland is yer man. Check out Amazon. Very informative on all Irish Railways matters from the year dot.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
They're figures involved in the 1916 Easter Rising, with the stations renamed on the 50th anniversary. From memory they are Dundalk Clarke, Drogheda MacBride, Dublin Connolly, Dublin Pearse, Dun Laoghaire Mallin, Bray Daly, Wexford O'Hanrahan, Dublin Heuston, Sligo Mac Diarmada, Galway Ceannt, Tralee Casement, Cork Kent, Kilkenny MacDonagh and Waterford Plunkett. The actual usage of the suffix varies.

Edit - I forgot one, Limerick Colbert (thanks Wikipedia!)

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Concerning this thing in general: whilst I have no particular issue with the politics of the whole business -- ever since it was done in 1966, it has struck me as a move which was precious, portentous, and basically just silly.

In the world at large, station names "community served + suffix" exist because the community has more than one station -- so there is need to distinguish between the different ones. As at 1966, the only place in the Irish Republic with multiple passenger stations, was Dublin: whose Westland Row, Amiens Street, and Kingsbridge were renamed Pearse, Connolly, and Heuston respectively. Fair enough: but all the other cities with "suffixed" stations, had only one station anyway. (Cork had several different stations at one time; bit by 1966, there remained only that on the main line from Dublin, formerly Glanmire Road.)

It was an exercise which just strikes me as pointless -- no matter whether stations were being named after war-of-independence heroes, or Lewis Carroll characters, or Wombles...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It's an interesting one. We do it with airports the world over, but rarely railway stations. Cambridge Hawking was (seriously?) proposed for what will now be North station in the city. Makes you wonder what else you could create.

(For the record, I don't support it either, be they political figures or musicians or whatever else.)

Calthrop

Established Member
"Cambridge Hawking" -- good grief ! To that, I'd reply "Oxford Beagling".

Calthrop

Established Member
I refer of course, to the sadly little-known and little-acclaimed genius Dr. W.J. Beagling (1840 – 1887) -- Fellow of Warneford College, Oxford, and good friend of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson aka Lewis Carroll. Beagling’s ambitious projects included a perpetual-motion machine, a device for producing sunbeams from cucumbers, and a railway locomotive driven by a very large number of hamsters running round in wheels. He was ahead of his time; and tragically, spent his last years under restraint in a sanatorium for the mentally unbalanced. After his death, his family – ashamed rather than proud of their brilliant relative – did their best to hush up everything about him: hence his little-known status.

Status
Not open for further replies.