• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Person discount in Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
I’m sorry, I’m sure there has been a thread on here before, but I can’t find it. Is there a discount for older people on Renfe? If so, how does one obtain it? I’m 61.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beebman

You can buy a Tarjeta Dorada card for over 60s which is only €6 and generally gives 40% discount except on AVE and Larga Distancia where it's 25% (and also 25% on Avant trains on weekdays, otherwise 40% at weekends). This is the RENFE webpage about the card (in Spanish):

https://www.renfe.com/es/es/viajar/prepara-tu-viaje/descuentos/mayores-de-60

The problem is that it's not possible to buy the card online ahead of travelling to Spain and the card number is required when booking tickets online, so it's therefore not possible to take advantage of cheap fares available months or weeks in advance.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You used to be able to buy a Tarjeta Dorada as an e-ticket for €10 from the Renfe office in London, so you could make bookings in advance - but that facility closed.
So you have to buy it from a Renfe booking office on arrival in Spain, and trust there is spare capacity on the trains you want.
Also the discounts do not apply to what we would call "Advance" tickets - only to the regular fares.
Nevertheless, 40% off the ordinary fares, for a flexible ticket, is a good deal.
The TD lasts a year, so you might be able to use it on more than one trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.