• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Rail Magazines

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
A very kind friend of mine, just gave me half a dozen "Steam Railway" magazines dated 1985 & 1986....I have only started to glimpse at them but already they seem quite facinating.

Topics covered include the possible closure of the Settle Carslisle line which of course thankfully did not happen. They said if the SCR did close down other lines may have followed too, eg Carlisle/Newcastle and Leeds, Lancaster etc.

I was surprised how many of todays heritage lines were running then too, for exmple the Isle of Wight and the Churnet Valley, also mentioned was the Spa Valley in Tunbridge and Peak Rail had just bought some land at Buxton with the hopes of opening up the line to Bakewell and Matlock, well they have done Matlcok to Rowsley so far. The SVR had just open the Kidderminster extention.

They also mentioned regular steam on the Mallaig & Scarbourgh lines, some using main line locos that are still used today. Others whcih have come of the main line too.

These magazines will keep me occupied in the coming dark winter months.

Rgds.

Status
Not open for further replies.