• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old Timer Needs Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangarman2k

Having just retired aged 68,Still Fit and Healthy,I decided to go back spotting after 30 years away from the Railway.I have a Bus Pass that I can use on the railway inside the Greater Manchester boundary.As I cannot use it until after 09-30,most of the Freight Trains run early or Late.I use the train from Manchester Airport. Ive spent Days at Man Piccadilly and Wigan. Picc is OK but Wigan is a waste of time,spent 5 Hours and only 2 Freight came through.
Any Mancunians got any advice about locations.
I have a monthly Day out to Crewe,even Crewe is not a patch on what it used to be.Im still exited about seeing Railways again,but if it carries on like this,I might as well take up Fishing
Just one last point,I see a lot of DR Machines about,what Regisration Book has them in

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think the Platform 5 coaching stock book has track machines in it but I'm not able to confirm.

Welcome back to the hobby, and Crewe mostly has freight on the avoiding lines I believe, so you won't see much freight there. Stafford is better for that sort of thing, I think Preston or Warrington is better than Wigan but I think you need to be there at certain times of the day.

Is it just freight you're after? Carlisle is good for it, especially at night. Doncaster's usually good too. Don't forget that railfreight is a totally different scene to what it was 30 years ago, as is the passenger railway. Other good places for freight easily accessible from Manchester would include the southern end of the WCML and Bescot.

hangarman2k

I think the Platform 5 coaching stock book has track machines in it but I'm not able to confirm.

Welcome back to the hobby, and Crewe mostly has freight on the avoiding lines I believe, so you won't see much freight there. Stafford is better for that sort of thing, I think Preston or Warrington is better than Wigan but I think you need to be there at certain times of the day.

Is it just freight you're after? Carlisle is good for it, especially at night. Doncaster's usually good too. Don't forget that railfreight is a totally different scene to what it was 30 years ago, as is the passenger railway. Other good places for freight easily accessible from Manchester would include the southern end of the WCML and Bescot.
The places you mention are way out of my price range.my fortnightly trip to Crewe costs
£11.20p return,so as I say,I just want decent place around the GM pass boundary.I am planning fortnightly trips to Doncaster,Carlisle etc,not to far from Manchester,but still pricey out of a pension.

Condor7

Although I have never been to either, according to the Freightmaster timetables, Acton Bridge looks to be an excellent spot, and hopefully within your boundaries. There are between 10am and 3pm around 15 freight (give or take depending on the day). Although not as good Warrington (High Level) is not a bad second choice, especially Wednesday afternoons.

Others on here who have been maybe able to confirm.

Established Member
Far from me to tell you how to spend your money but why dont you miss that day trip away to Crewe 1 day, put the money to one side and the next time buy one of these?
http://www.railrover.org/pages/lancashire-day-ranger.html
Great coverage, plenty places to visit and see trains at too, eg you could go past West Coasts Depot on the train to Silverdale from Preston, if you can get to Preston by 10.04, you could go there with a 37 hauling you between Monday and Saturday or between Mon and Fri, you could ride the 37 at 10.04 to Silverdale and get the 16.50 Class 67 hauled Mancherter Picc-Llandudno train to Warrington Bank Quay.
Be a bit cheaper if you can afford to get a senior citizens railcard too. Theres a few freights come through Oxford Road too. Theres a few freights go through Preston and the odd ECS moves from Carnforth too.
Good call on Acton Bridge too.

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
Acton Bridge is good. If coming from Manchester, get a ticket to Greenbank and dial a taxi or a bus if one exists. Failing that, whatever zooms through Acton, also zooms through Hartford which is a 10 minute, flat pavement and well-lit road from Greenbank. Just walk along the road towards Chester.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Acton Bridge is good. If coming from Manchester, get a ticket to Greenbank and dial a taxi or a bus if one exists. Failing that, whatever zooms through Acton, also zooms through Hartford which is a 10 minute, flat pavement and well-lit road from Greenbank. Just walk along the road towards Chester.

Both Acton Bridge and Greenbank stations are a good way exterior to the Greater Manchester boundary that the OP wishes to use as a baseline and from what he says, a taxi will not form part of his daily journey travelling expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.