• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oldest building still in railway use on the national network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

As per the thread title - scope is the national rail network and buildings still used for railway purposes (not necessarily their original railway purpose). So what is likely to be the oldest building?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nottingham59

Established Member
Wikipedia says "The surviving Earlestown station buildings were constructed around 1835 on the original site, at the point of intersection of these two early railways."

Are there any buildings on the Stockton and Darlington line still in use from before the era of steam?

urbophile

Established Member
Possibly one of the Liverpool and Manchester stations, maybe Earlestown or Edge Hill?
I thought Edge Hill but it seems the present building (albeit very old) is not the original one. If Earlestown dates from the line's actually opening that would be it (or Rainhill?).

Gloster

Established Member
I wouldn’t be surprised if there are still a few pre-railway age buildings that were adapted for use by the railways. Bourne in Lincolnshire dated from the seventeenth century, but that is a closed station.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Earlestown dates from 1835. The 1830 station building at the Manchester terminus is still there, but its not on the National network any more.
Yes, the Earlestown building is probably the oldest, although the interior is currently closed to the public.

Nottingham59

Established Member
I thought Edge Hill
Edge Hill Station dates from 1830, but the buildings date from 1836.

EDIT: The first srstion opened in 1830. These 1836 buildings are the second Edga Hill

Last edited:
Does it still have it's original buildings?

The British Listed Buildings website says: Hexham "Railway Station, comprising Station House, offices, rooms and canopy over south
platform, footbridge, north platform wall and canopy over. Centre section of south range 1835 by John Blackmore for the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway Co., extended in the 1840s and 1850s by Peter Tate."

So part of it dates from 1835.

Rescars

Midland Hotel, Derby, built 1841, is reputedly the oldest purpose built railway hotel. It's still open as a hotel, even though its last railway owner British Transport Hotels has long since been "annihilated" (as its last Managing Director put it).

Sadly no longer in railway use, the erstwhile station building at Mitcham must be worth a mention. It was certainly built a long time before the railway opened, and is reputed to have been used as an office by the Surrey Iron Railway.

Last edited:
Slightly younger (1836-40) but worth a mention, is the closed Wingfield station in Derbyshire on the MML near Ambergate, which has just been beautifully restored from a total wreck. Not in railway use but trains pass daily!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The carriage ramp at Deptford dates to the original London to Greenwich railway so must be in with a shout?

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Construction of the Thames Tunnel, currently used by the London Overground, began in 1825, but it was not originally intended to be for a railway.

hwl

Established Member
The carriage ramp at Deptford dates to the original London to Greenwich railway so must be in with a shout?
Deptford opened 8th Feb 1836 is the oldest in London, also worth a mention are the remains (quadripartite arches in the shopping arcade) of the original London bridge station which opened to traffic on 14th December as construction took longer than expected and they used a temporary station further east for 10 months.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I thought Edge Hill but it seems the present building (albeit very old) is not the original one. If Earlestown dates from the line's actually opening that would be it (or Rainhill?).
I recall Edge Hill being restored to "original" condition, for Liverpool & Manchester 150 in 1980 I think, but of course the original station was under the Moorish arch a short distance to the south. Earlestown was similarly featured in this event, but other posts suggest it only dates back to the opening of the Warrington branch. Do any of the other L&M stations still operating have original buildings that might be earlier? I don't think there are any such on the Stockton and Darlington.

Snow1964

Established Member
I think Micheldever station building is the only original one still remaining on London and Southampton Railway which opened in phases 1838-1840

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Does a tunnel count as a building ?

If so, how about Strood tunnel, 1824.

Western 52

Yes I was thinking of any railway structures in the OP. I was wondering about tunnels and bridges, plus any minor or ancillary buildings that might still be about.

Rescars

Yes I was thinking of any railway structures in the OP. I was wondering about tunnels and bridges, plus any minor or ancillary buildings that might still be about.
If bridges are allowed, the Causey Arch was completed in 1726. It is almost part of the Tanfield Railway route.

D6130

Established Member
I don't think there are any such on the Stockton and Darlington.
The only one I can think of is the original booking office building in Bridge Road, Stockton (built before 1825 as a private house)....but it's no longer located on the rail network.

EDIT: Is the former station building at Heighington the original 1825 structure?

John Webb

Established Member

Strood tunnel was first built for a canal to link the Thames to the Medway thus short-circuiting a potentially dangerous trip around the North Foreland. At some 2.25 miles long it was the second-longest canal tunnel in Britain. Twenty years later the Canal Company changed itself into a Railway and Canal company and built a single line through the tunnel partly on the towpath and partly supported from the canal bed. Boats and trains shared the tunnel for some 18 months before the South Eastern Railway bought up the company, filled in the canal through the tunnel and installed a second line of track.
(The remnant of the canal from Gravesend to Higham remained in use until abandoned by the now Southern Railway in 1934.)
There remains a substantial length still in water to the east of Gravesend (click on photo to go to the larger original):
Thames and Medway Canal

© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Geeves

Established Member
Parts of Manchester Victoria that currently house facilities for drivers and guards were constructed and opened from 1842 to 1844, still standing and in use today.

Status
Not open for further replies.