• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oldest recorded / automated announcement still in regular use

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
The 'Mind the Gap' announcement at Embankment station (Northern Line northbound platform) which plays whenever a train arrives at the platform has been in use since the 1980s (probably even longer). Preceeded by a single chime, and consisting of the words 'Mind the Gap' repeated several times while a train is in the platform, the same announcement was also used on the Central Line platforms at Bank and the Bakerloo Line platforms at Waterloo.

This youtube clip shows the northbound platform at Embankment as a train arrives with the 'Mind the Gap' announcement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVOD_0axOE

Anyone know when this announcement was first used, and whether any automated announcement has been in use for longer ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

announcements

Even earlier than the 1980s - it was in 1968 when Peter Lodge's 'mind the gap' and 'stand clear of the doors, please' recordings were introduced.

I don't think there are any announcements that pre-date this. There used to be some really old-fashioned ones on Piccadilly line platforms in Zone 1 e.g. at Covent Garden, where you'd have a male voice for westbound and a female voice for eastbound. Can be heard in this BVE at Russell Square, Holborn, Covent Garden and Piccadilly Circus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lis0hwz2PHs

Note that the oldest announcements currently heard on-board trains are found on the 1996 stock, recorded by Michael Meech and 'ANITA' (terminus reader).

Last edited:

gottago

Does anyone know when the irregular male announcements on the Jubilee Line were introduced? His contribution seems to be limited to "Please keep your personal belongings with you... at all times", "Thank you for travelling on the Jubilee Line" :-? and an all change announcement when terminating. They sound very old fashioned, very "proper English" and very cold. It's a bit odd that they just randomly play out at some points, especially when the terminating one is usually immediately followed by the far nicer sounding lady saying exactly the same thing!

transmanche

Established Member
Does anyone know when the irregular male announcements on the Jubilee Line were introduced?
The same time as the female voice, I believe.

The thinking being that all standard announcements (the next station is..., mind the doors, etc) would use the female voice. Regular travellers would soon 'zone out' and not hear the voice. So 'important' announcements would use the male voice - and thus the different voice would catch the attention of those who has 'zoned out'.

gottago

The same time as the female voice, I believe.

The thinking being that all standard announcements (the next station is..., mind the doors, etc) would use the female voice. Regular travellers would soon 'zone out' and not hear the voice. So 'important' announcements would use the male voice - and thus the different voice would catch the attention of those who has 'zoned out'.
Ah that makes sense (although I'm not sure that thanking passengers for travelling on the line is a particularly important announcement!), thanks.

Dstock7080

Established Member
After the Kings Cross fire many stations were classified as "section 12" (of the Sub Surface Railways Act 1989) and were fitted with fire alarm and detection panels. Part of this work introduced audible PA systems throughout stations, not just on platforms and gave us the now famous "inspector Sands" male announcement.

The work included the fitting of an automated PA system at stations so that audible announcements could made simply by typing words onto a screen or selecting pre-recorded ones without relying upon the local accent of the staff member on duty!
One of my favourites, which is still heard around the system, is "please remember that smoking is not allowed on any Underground station or train or at London Regional Transport bus stations".
LRT being abolished some years ago!

Last edited:

announcements

Does anyone know when the irregular male announcements on the Jubilee Line were introduced? His contribution seems to be limited to "Please keep your personal belongings with you... at all times", "Thank you for travelling on the Jubilee Line" and an all change announcement when terminating. They sound very old fashioned, very "proper English" and very cold. It's a bit odd that they just randomly play out at some points, especially when the terminating one is usually immediately followed by the far nicer sounding lady saying exactly the same thing!

I've altered my post above as I realise that the Jubilee line announcements you refer to are the oldest on-train ones still in use.

Ah that makes sense (although I'm not sure that thanking passengers for travelling on the line is a particularly important announcement!), thanks.

They also play the thank you message on the Central and Northern lines - must have been a thing of the '90s to do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.