• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-line Historical Timetable Resource?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padav

Apologies if this question has been asked previously - I've only ever frequented the Infrastructure section of UK Railway Forums

Do any contributors know of an on-line resource granting access to historical timetables.

I ask this question for a specific purpose - I am trying to make a valid comparison between service timetables on the WCML before and after the (infamously botched) upgrade programme completed between approx 1995 - 2005

Accessing the current timetable is no problem but how do I discover the timings for equivalent services prior to the upgrade?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Yeah that would be useful. I wonder if anyone has uploaded the full BR timetables from 70's and 80's, I would be interested in the times of trains in the North East

Frontera2

If you contact Vic Mitchell at Middleton Press you'll find him
very useful - do a google search for details - he has timetables going back over a hundred years.

Padav

Many thanks Adam

Unfortunately there is a huge gap in availability at the site - there are timetables from the 60's and then 2007 but I'm looking for a WCML timetable from about 1994.

I'm trying to discover the running time of services operating between Manchester Piccadilly and London Euston during the period prior to the massive upgrade of the WCML to discover the difference between pre and post upgrade services

dave_wm

It won't be a full substitute, but I've attached an Excel document containing all the trains between London and Manchester in the Summer 1993 timetable (Mondays to Fridays).

HTH

Attachments

• EUS MAN Summer 1993.xlsx
    13.4 KB · Views: 79

calc7

Established Member
It won't be a full substitute, but I've attached an Excel document containing all the trains between London and Manchester in the Summer 1993 timetable (Mondays to Fridays).

HTH

Fascinating - thank you for posting this! :D

robertbishop

HTH

Thanks for posting this.

Do you have the same for Euston to Birmingham and Paddington to Bristol?

Rob

dave_wm

No problem :)

And the Euston to Birmingham and Paddington to Bristol timetables as requested.

(Just as a note I forgot to add the meaning for, the 0045 MX London Paddington to Cardiff Central and 1811 FX Milford Haven to London Paddington are both Regional Railways services).

Attachments

• EUS BHM Summer 1993.xlsx
    14.4 KB · Views: 19
  • PAD to BRI Summer 1993.xlsx
    19.9 KB · Views: 24

The Planner

Veteran Member
From that, the equivalent today of the 0713 from Birmingham International to Euston (0741) has gained 23 minutes, not too shoddy....

Anon Mouse

Established Member
could you do the same with the Newcastle - Berwick, Newcastle - Carlisle & Newcastle - Sunderland too? Cheers, fascinating stuff!

dave_wm

Indeed :)

Any more requests?

Attachments

• Newcastle Local 1993.xlsx
    27.5 KB · Views: 18

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Indeed :)

Any more requests?

Cheers mate!

oh go then, Liverpool to Newcastle would be canny too, cheers!

Pity there are no longer stoppers to Berwick, even if they would have been 143's! :)

Last edited:

dave_wm

And the Liverpool - Newcastle as requested. I'm amazed how early some of the services finish (e.g. last Manchester - Middlesbrough train at 1812 - though thats not that much better today at 1853)!

Attachments

• LIV NCL Summer 1993.xlsx
    27 KB · Views: 9

Anon Mouse

Established Member
And the Liverpool - Newcastle as requested. I'm amazed how early some of the services finish (e.g. last Manchester - Middlesbrough train at 1812 - though thats not that much better today at 1853)!

Thanks very much, thats great! At least the frequency has improved since 1993, every two hours from Newcastle over The Pennines sheesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.