• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-train catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A GWR staff member has just advised me that with immediate effect, all catering services on GWR trains has been suspended following correspondence from the ORR after a complaint was received relating to their processes.

Have any other Tocs that reintroduced catering (were there any that never stopped) also withdrawn their catering again? Would be interested in what the complaint from the ORR relates to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
A GWR staff member has just advised me that with immediate effect, all catering services on GWR trains has been suspended following correspondence from the ORR after a complaint was received relating to their processes.

Have any other Tocs that reintroduced catering (were there any that never stopped) also withdrawn their catering again? Would be interested in what the complaint from the ORR relates to.

EMR restarted their first class offering, that has been withdrawn again and the hosts redeployed to cleaning. Increasing numbers of Rail Gourmet hosts are also being used for cleaning including at least some being deployed to the depot to clean stabled trains.

Established Member
I think XC have withdrawn catering? They were definitely running in Summer 2020.

I don't think Avanti (pendos only) or GA ever stopped.

LowLevel

Established Member
I think XC have withdrawn catering? They were definitely running in Summer 2020.

GA did - they had a trolley parked at Norwich Station by the gates.

Mainline421

CrossCountry still had catering when I traveled a few days ago so I doubt it. Avanti never stopped which makes sense considering how long their journeys can be, and how unreliable station outlets are at the moment.

Scotrail12

Avanti had no catering on their pendos (Glasgow-London) when I travelled in July, only sweets in the shop. Starving the whole journey, was not impressed.

Established Member
Avanti had no catering on their pendos (Glasgow-London) when I travelled in July, only sweets in the shop. Starving the whole journey, was not impressed.
After doing Warrington-Brum on a Voyager recently and wanting breakfast, I can relate! Was travelling to Redditch with no time to get anything at New Street either.

Trackman

Established Member
It came back and went away again. Back to just the shop now. Shut on voyagers.

kristiang85

Established Member
What's the betting it is quietly never reinstated by many TOCs, given the probable need for cost cutting in the future?

theironroad

Established Member
What's the betting it is quietly never reinstated by many TOCs, given the probable need for cost cutting in the future?

Well that's what's happened on SWR, the Elior (it was contracted out) staff are currently coming to the end of their redundancy notice periods.

NoOnesFool

XC have resumed their First Class catering. Porridge is available as part of the complimentary snack offering and they are serving Seabrook crisps instead of Kettle ones.

Established Member
XC have resumed their First Class catering. Porridge is available as part of the complimentary snack offering and they are serving Seabrook crisps instead of Kettle ones.
It resumed in July with the Seabrooke Crisps... Porridge has always been part of the 1st catering offering, not sure what's actually new in this post?

dk1

Veteran Member
GA resumed catering from the cafe bar only towards the end of last year and briefly from a static trolley. This was improved with the trolley also passing through the train if the member of staff agreed. Once the area went into T4 during December all catering was once again withdrawn and catering staff once again utilised for additional cleaning duties/passenger counts.

NoOnesFool

What is happening with LNER First Class, are they still providing beers/wines/spirits? It would be a shame to stop it, as it is a signature aspect of the service.

Established Member
What is happening with LNER First Class, are they still providing beers/wines/spirits? It would be a shame to stop it, as it is a signature aspect of the service.
Considering they are all designated 'dry' trains I doubt it...

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

There was hardly any on board catering on GWR anyway - I'm not quite sure there was much to withdraw to be honest.

NoOnesFool

Considering they are all designated 'dry' trains I doubt it...
Oh golly, it sounds very repressive. I wonder if they are doing meals. I saw an old post saying hot food in the mornings only. Unfortunately, that thread has been locked, so I can't link to it.

There was hardly any on board catering on GWR anyway - I'm not quite sure there was much to withdraw to be honest.
They do a Pullman Service, on selected Weekday trains to/from London Paddington to Penzance/Swansea. They have onboard chefs and waiting hosts. They also have a host who provides an at seat service in First on long-distance services.

JModulo

Oh golly, it sounds very repressive. I wonder if they are doing meals. I saw an old post saying hot food in the mornings only. Unfortunately, that thread has been locked, so I can't link to it.
LNER are doing a somewhat limited range, the only hot option in the morning is a bacon roll.

NoOnesFool

LNER are doing a somewhat limited range, the only hot option in the morning is a bacon roll.
Yes, thanks. It is not easy to find on the website, but I have done some digging and found the menu.
Breakfast (Until 10AM)
Bacon Roll
Meatless Farm Sausage Patty Muffin
Danish Pastry
Rest Of The Day (Until 10PM)
Chicken Salad Sub Sandwich
Egg Mayo And Watercress Sandwich

I'm not sure what happens after 10pm. I'm sure there always used to be a catering service throught the day and night.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yes, thanks. It is not easy to find on the website, but I have done some digging and found the menu.
Breakfast (Until 10AM)
Bacon Roll
Meatless Farm Sausage Patty Muffin
Danish Pastry
Rest Of The Day (Until 10PM)
Chicken Salad Sub Sandwich
Egg Mayo And Watercress Sandwich

I'm not sure what happens after 10pm. I'm sure there always used to be a catering service throught the day and night.
That's not a bad choice at all considering. Well done LNER.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Considering the TOC wanted to bring it back and the regulator refused it, I'd suggest it's not that actually as clear cut as that. On certain TOCs it might be given a bit more of a rigorous look but on longer distance operators I'm sure that demand will still be there and expected by passengers.

route101

Established Member

You not stock up?

Apart from Pullman, why do GWR offer a paltry offering compared to LNER/Avanti?

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'd never rely on onboard catering for a full meal anyway. I used to travel long distance quite a bit with XC and the selection of anything more than snacks and confectionery was poor. Avanti's shop is a bit better with some pasties etc. but very expensive. TPE and SWR often so overcrowded that the trolley can't get through the train. GWR, the selection on the trolley was a massive downgrade from the buffet (which I think was called the Refresca Cafe-Bar or something)

This was all pre-Covid of course

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Would be interested in what the complaint from the ORR relates to.
Indeed. I am sure a fair few on here will be of the position that the complaints are stupid and on train catering has no additional risk so it should still continue.
But the devil is in the detail and without knowing exactly what the complaint related to, we can't really judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.