• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-Train Ticket Checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krokodil

Established Member
Similarly, some guards who earn commission will make sure they do tickets on trains they perceive as being 'good earners' and perhaps not bother so much on those that are not likely to yield much.
And when a passenger produces a large note for a small fare (deliberately) some guards will turn down the fare because it will knacker their float and might mean missing out on a more valuable fare, whereas other guards may make sure that they charge the person even at the expense of all of the other fares they may take, just to stop people thinking that they can travel for free by waving a fifty around.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
A guards No1 priority is safety. Punctuality and customer service then come before revenue. Possible reasons for ticket checks not taking place. Many more probably crop up as well

1)Guard is unable to get down the train because it is full.
2)Guard is assisting a passenger with connections
3)Guard is contacting control to arrange alternative transport for a passenger who has missed a connection
4)Guard is in a separate ungangwayed part of the train
5)Guards ticket machine battery has run out
6)Guards ticket machine is broken
7)Guard could not collect a ticket machine because they were all in use
8)Guard could not collect a ticket machine because there were no staff available at depot to give them one.
9)Guard is not trained on revenue duties
10)A manager who is not trained in revenue duties is performing the role of the guard
11)Guard is not doing revenue duties (agreed with management )following an incident
12)Guard is not feeling well and they have agreed with management to continue in service back to their home depot
13)There is insufficient time between stations for revenue duties
14)Guard is dealing with a disruptive passenger
15)Guard is writing a report following dealing with a disruptive passenger
16)Guard is apeaking with control/manager about their future work on the diagram due to unplanned disruption
17)Guard is speaking with control/manager about their drivers future work on diagram due to unplanned disruption
18)Guard is assisting a disabled passenger
19)Guard is arranging assistance at en-route for a disabled passenger
20)Guard is fixing a fault on the train
21)Guard is arranging a fitter to deal with a fault on the train
22)guard is writing a report regarding a fault on train
23)guard started ticket checks in another carriage but is now dealing with a travel irregularity
24)guard is writing a report for an earlier travel irregularity
25)guard is following up on a report of suspicious behaviour
26)guard is dealing with a vulnerable passenger
27)guard is reading/replying to emails
28)guard has been asked not to do revenue as there is a revenue block further down the line
29)guard booked on late and was unable to collect revenue equipment
30)guard was asked to work the train at very short notice and was unable to collect revenue equipment
31)guard has been asked to stay on and cover the train and is being taxied straight home afterwards so is unable to hand back revenue equipment
32)guard has been asked to book on at a different depot than usual and has been unable to collect revenue equipment
33)guard has been called for a chat with their manager at start of shift and then had insufficient time to collect revenue equipment
34)guard has booked on or is finishing outside the times revenue equipment is available at their depot due to an amended diagram
35)guard has accidentally been locked out of revenue equipment by entering the wrong PIN.
36)guard is attempting to get connecting trains held due to late running
37)guard has found doing revenue on a particular train is far to much hassle than it's worth and despite numerous reports and requests for RPI/security assistance they haven't received any support off their management
38)guard has COVID and has been told to come in anyway if they have no symptoms. They may want as little contact as possible with passengers
39)guard is ensuring luggage is correctly stored
40)guard is dealing with a passenger complaint
41)guard is helping an unwell passenger
42)guard is dealing with lost property
43)guard is giving passenger information in disruption
44)guard is unable to secure the cab/office and has to remain in the vicinity of it
45)guard is being assessed
46)guard is an instructor and is training others
47)guard is helping a passenger who has got on the wrong train
48)guard is reporting delays
49)guard assisting the driver for example examining the line
50)guard is reporting a trespass or other event

It should be noted that one fairly uncomplicated report can take 20-30 minutes to write due to the detail required. One phonecall to control can easily take 10-15 minutes.
51) Guard is having a snooze in the back cab.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Morning,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct place for this thread, so mods feel free to move somewhere more appropriate.

I'm just interested to understand whether making ticket checks is actually part of Guards duties...
The role of Guard doesn't necessarily have to involve customer service / ticket checking; some Guards are non-commercial and are not trained to check tickets at all, while others might check tickets but not be able to issue them.

Not all trains have Guards; some are operated by the driver and (depending on the TOC and potentially other factors) may or may not have a second member of staff with a role dedicated to checking/issuing tickets and/or customer service (e.g. Lumo, Southeastern High Speed, many - but not by no means all - Southern-branded GTR services, Scotrail electric trains in the Strathcylde area etc have staff dedicated for this purpose).

or if it is an optional thing they do if they have time?
If they are a commercial guard then yes, something to do if they have time.

I was on a cross-country train last week with long distances between stops; on my outward journey the guard came through and checked tickets, but on the return journey nothing.
Based on my experiences, I wouldn't expect a ticket check on an XC service if you are travelling later in the afternoon or in the evening, so I am not surprised. A ticket check in the morning is more likely but by no means guaranteed. I have had no check on my most recent XC journeys and this is not uncommon. It very much depends on the route/depot, as well as time of day.

Given that the return journey was late evening, the barriers at both ends were open and I could have got away with travelling for free if I had been so inclined.
There are many occasions when people may get away with something without paying if they were so inclined but it's best not to go down that rabbit hole!

Does anyone know if guards on West Midlands Railway class 323s are still trained or allowed to check tickets?
I think all West Midlands Trains guards are trained to check tickets, but they very rarely do in my experience.

Very occasionally I'll get a check on their LNR branded trains on the West Coast Main Line but it's extremely rare for that to happen; I do not travel on the local WMR branded services much but ticket checks are even rarer on those.

Don't forget their primary role is for operational purposes, not to check tickets; if there are frequent stops I wouldn't expect any ticket checking to occur.

Edsmith

And when a passenger produces a large note for a small fare (deliberately) some guards will turn down the fare because it will knacker their float and might mean missing out on a more valuable fare, whereas other guards may make sure that they charge the person even at the expense of all of the other fares they may take, just to stop people thinking that they can travel for free by waving a fifty around.
Some guards don't seem keen on taking cash payments at all and just advise people to pay at their destination.

Railcard discounted tickets at my local station (Stevenage) are routinely rejected by the ticket barriers. I am told this is so passengers can be asked for their railcard. While this sounds good it's actually counter-productive because the staff become so overwhelmed by passengers whose tickets do not open the barriers they end up getting 'waved through' without a proper inspection. It's also a very poor passenger experience.

A better way would be random blocks to check for railcards with sufficient numbers of staff to do a proper check without unduly delaying passsngers.
That's been my experience as well at Stevenage and it just irritates people in a hurry who have a valid ticket and railcard.

blueberry11

When I went to Diss from Norwich (the first stop along - 18 min), I got my ticket checked just a few minute in. As Norwich has barriers and Diss does not, I did not think it would happen, but then realised Norwich is an interchange station for Cromer/Sheringham.

No checks on return

muz379

Established Member
And some TOCs also offer a few pence for each e-ticket scanned.

On note of the main thread, I've noticed that since the Hindley stop has been re-introduced after the works there, I've seen less ticket checks. Maybe guards don't like to leave the back cab if the next stop is relative close?
Some traction isn't great for checking tickets when you have frequent stops with short intervals between , something like a 156 for example only has door control panels at extreme ends of the unit , coupled with the fact that a lot of tocs dont let guards dispatch from the front you can have difficulty getting all the way down a train and back in time to safely operate doors . Especially if someone wants to actually buy a ticket rather than just show you one . Compare a 156 to a 158 which has door control panels at every set of doors which are at the end of each carriage . Can make a guards job a lot easier .
The other reasons you give are legitimate, but it's hard to see why any employer would accept the ones above.
Different tocs have different policies. But I know at some revenue figures form part of the guards performance criteria , and they are compared against an average accross their depot or company and those that are well below average will be expected to improve . That being said it takes a lot of management time and effort to go from that to disciplinary action .

That wont obviously deal with the sitautions when an otherwise frequent checker of tickets is having an off day or off trip and decided to just take it easy . But that is kind of an accepted practice in that it is something that almost all guards will do at some point for various reasons so it is reflected in every average . And generally guards managers have been guards themselves so know about it .

I know for example in days gone by if I have been feeling a like fatigue is creeping in or I might be coming down with something I would conserve my energy for safety critical duties and take it easy with the tickets walking through every now and then for customer enquiries and to check everyone is behaving . A 4 am book on soon feels like a different day when you are still working a train at 14:00
I think it's a job where sometimes you need to take the self preservation line. If someone's threatened to 'knock me out' because they don't want to buy a ticket on my last journey, then there's probably a fair chance I'm going to be taking revenue easy on my next journey. Because from my personal experience 1 aggressive moron gets forgotten about by the end of my shift, multiple incidents in a short time tend to lead to stress and feeling a bit crappy for a day or 2 after.
To be honest I often think of this as senisble anyway because if someone has just been abusive or threatenening to me it is human nature to still be in self preservation mode and jump to being short or make assumptions in a similar situation . Some time away is probably best to avoid another incident as well .

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
To answer the question about the Cross City line in Birmingham I believe it to be more or less correct that the guards are only allowed to dispatch from the middle cab on 6 car trains - the trains are quite tight to the platform length and there's a box painted on the platform to aid them in safe door release.

That doesn't leave much time to get down the train away from the extreme ends of the route.

Some TOCs (basically Northern) are excessively prescriptive about things like dispatch positions on their trains, banning dispatch from the front etc. It would drive me nuts. I basically work in the saloon on stopping services working backwards and forwards and I am much happier being able to operate the doors from any coach.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Some TOCs (basically Northern) are excessively prescriptive about things like dispatch positions on their trains, banning dispatch from the front etc.
That explains a bit of why the guard walked all the way to the back of the train instead of opening from the middle at Wallgate (they had to fit past around 20 people who'd already queued for the doors).
Although I don't really get it, wouldn't opening from the middle be better as it'd be easier to see the train is fully platformed (although that's never a problem in Wigan, they stop so far forwards)

muz379

Established Member
That explains a bit of why the guard walked all the way to the back of the train instead of opening from the middle at Wallgate (they had to fit past around 20 people who'd already queued for the doors).
Although I don't really get it, wouldn't opening from the middle be better as it'd be easier to see the train is fully platformed (although that's never a problem in Wigan, they stop so far forwards)
Guards on Northern as far as I am aware can open from anywhere as long as they check the PTI before releasing doors , it is just closing and dispatch that has to be carried out between the middle and rear of the train .

Guard might have wanted to get to the back if they were being relieved though I guess .

There have been issues in the past on some routes with stuff being stolen from rear cabs by gangs of youths loitering at stations but cant see it at wigan being gated and staffed

Krokodil

Established Member
Some traction isn't great for checking tickets when you have frequent stops with short intervals between , something like a 156 for example only has door control panels at extreme ends of the unit , coupled with the fact that a lot of tocs dont let guards dispatch from the front you can have difficulty getting all the way down a train and back in time to safely operate doors . Especially if someone wants to actually buy a ticket rather than just show you one . Compare a 156 to a 158 which has door control panels at every set of doors which are at the end of each carriage . Can make a guards job a lot easier .
The 150/2s at GWR or TfW that have been modified with intermediate door controls are the best units for revenue. You're never far from a door control. Even with a 158 you could be 10m from one, halfway down the carriage.

I don't think that they've got a restriction on where doors can be released from, just for dispatch. Obviously though you actually need an intermediate panel to work from.

L401CJF

Established Member
It would drive me nuts. I basically work in the saloon on stopping services working backwards and forwards and I am much happier being able to operate the doors from any coach.
I agree it would drive me nuts too. Generally I'm in the train checking tickets on every service I work regardless of time of day. Obviously certain trains I'll weigh up and decide not to bother and opt to just walk through/dispatch from various saloon doors occasionally and keep an eye on things (generally on very drunk trains).

There are journeys where I've been unable to do retail duties for over an hour because I have been busy dealing with other things. Most recently I had a guy onboard who kept moving seats, sitting on the floor, going into the toilet, had no ticket, claimed he was travelling to X, then when it came to X wouldn't get off and wouldn't tell me where he was actually going, generally acting odd. I spent an hour trying to arrange with BTP to meet the train and remove him, which was easier said than done and then had to figure out a suitable well staffed station to arrange for assistance with the matter. In-between operating doors, battling with poor phone signal, people not answering the phone etc it took my over an hour to get it sorted!

There are plenty of other things which take priority such as unit swops (confirming information with control/platforms over which unit is going where, which unit is going forward, where passengers need to go etc then communicating said information with the punters). If the train is splitting, ensuring passengers are in the right portion and that the gangway doors are all locked up ready to go in time.

If the service is significantly delayed I tend to avoid retail duties (going through when very very late and asking for money is just asking for a smack!) And rather go through advising of delay repay, and printing out journey itinerarys for onward connections before arriving at connecting stations for those who have missed their original connection.

That said I reckon I manage to check around 90% of all passengers tickets on my trains generally.

Some trains which are busy you can end up taking most of the journey to get through half the train and don't see the front half, in that instance those in the back will have seen you constantly whereas those in the front coaches I never got to will be wondering where the lazy guard is!

That said, there are definitely a few "relaxed" guards out there, it is particularly annoying when you're travelling on an "easy" train for a day out somewhere and don't see the guard come through.

M60lad

There have been times in the past when I've travelled on XC from Leamington Spa or Birmingham New Street back to Manchester and not had a ticket check all the way through the journey and found it odd, obviously the Train Manager/Guard have been busy doing other things.

I've even heard that it can be the same on Avanti and before that Virgin West Coast that people have managed to get to London Euston say from Manchester without a ticket check on board although considering how long Pendalinos are its understandable.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I have noticed on evening Avanti services heading northbound from Preston towards Glasgow and Edinburgh very rarely have a ticket check, with the Train Manager normally found in Coach C.

Yet during the day ticket checks are more common, presumably because the evening services are relatively light-loaded north of Preston.

muz379

Established Member
There have been times in the past when I've travelled on XC from Leamington Spa or Birmingham New Street back to Manchester and not had a ticket check all the way through the journey and found it odd, obviously the Train Manager/Guard have been busy doing other things.

I've even heard that it can be the same on Avanti and before that Virgin West Coast that people have managed to get to London Euston say from Manchester without a ticket check on board although considering how long Pendalinos are its understandable.
I think its also worth bearing in mind on the long distance TOC's the train managers have additionally responsibilities in relation to the catering/customer hosts it could also be that they are trying to resolve a problem in those areas as well .

Trainfan2019

Good question. I've often wondered about ticket checking policies.

I have a smart card season ticket with separate photocard, traveling 5 days a week. 4 carriage train, not even half full. Varied range of experiences as below, photocard always shown with smartcard:

1. No sight or sound (no manual announcements) of guard.
2. Guard looks at smartcard (doesn't scan it).
3. Guard scans smartcard
4. Guard scans smartcard but the device is never able to read it (says no valid ticket) so I have to show email proof of season ticket purchase. One certain guard only.
5. Guard walks through train but doesn't ask for tickets.
6. Guard scans smartcard, looks at photocard and confirms journey start and finish points.
7. Guard looks at smartcard, says it's fine as they know me (doesn't scan it).

Out of the above, I would say point 2 is the most common experience.

Indeed, chatting with colleagues from intercity TOCs, if there is one place they'll check, it'll be first class.
My recollection is that a few years ago, LNER staff were very efficient at checking tickets as soon as anyone sat down in first. In some cases I think it was catering staff making sure that no-one with a standard ticket would get even a sniff of the free coffee - which seemed fair enough. Both ticket checks and coffee now seem less reliable...

LowLevel

Established Member
My recollection is that a few years ago, LNER staff were very efficient at checking tickets as soon as anyone sat down in first. In some cases I think it was catering staff making sure that no-one with a standard ticket would get even a sniff of the free coffee - which seemed fair enough. Both ticket checks and coffee now seem less reliable...
LNER caterers don't generally check tickets, train managers and revenue protection inspectors do that now. I think that came in when the Train Guard became the Train Manager under Virgin EC with the catering staff reorganisation.

EMR on the other hand is the opposite, the catering staff generally do check tickets in first and bring any issues to the attention of the train manager, which works fairly well.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Guards on Northern as far as I am aware can open from anywhere as long as they check the PTI before releasing doors , it is just closing and dispatch that has to be carried out between the middle and rear of the train .
Indeed so, but as there'd be a requirement to key out and move to a different panel it's very rare for a Northern Conductor to work from the front even if there's an opportunity to do so. Not that it's their fault the policy is so silly.

Russel

Established Member
Whenever these threads come up, there is always seems to be a never ending list of reasons trying to justify why guards aren't checking tickets, yet they are mostly just excuses.

Whenever I've used TFW or ScotRail, ticket checks have constantly been performed after almost every station stop, do the excuses for guards not leaving the back cab not effect Wales or Scotland?

Given how eager the govt are to get rid or downgrade the guard role, surly it is in there interest to actually provide customer service and undertake revenue protection duties?

LowLevel

Established Member
Whenever these threads come up, there is always seems to be a never ending list of reasons trying to justify why guards aren't checking tickets, yet they are mostly just excuses.

Whenever I've used TFW or ScotRail, ticket checks have constantly been performed after almost every station stop, do the excuses for guards not leaving the back cab not effect Wales or Scotland?

Given how eager the govt are to get rid or downgrade the guard role, surly it is in there interest to actually provide customer service and undertake revenue protection duties?
There's plenty of reasons, whether they're good ones depends on the circumstances I suppose. I'm pretty unflappable and remember an unfortunate occasion where my train struck someone on the line, I was half way through doing an excess and finished that off once I'd done the necessary. Other people would justifiably be in no fit state (though to avoid sounding like a jobsworth I was doing someone a favour, theyd accidentally bought a single rather than a return and I was changing it for them for a quid to save them over 20!).

Everyone is different.

It is very rare for me not to do tickets, but I'm not going to be too judgemental of others because the consequences for dropping a clanger if you do get the work priority wrong can be severe.

I do at times wish people would not act like the world is against them at the mere suggestion that sometimes the guard is being lazy - because anyone who is a guard knows very well that that is on occasion very much the case.

Last edited:

muz379

Established Member
Indeed so, but as there'd be a requirement to key out and move to a different panel it's very rare for a Northern Conductor to work from the front even if there's an opportunity to do so. Not that it's their fault the policy is so silly.
I agree largely that it is silly and should be down to the individuals judgement unless there is a compelling reason why the conductor should be at a certain location to close/dispatch like platform curvature .

Again this will probably be dismissed as an excuse , but seeing a secure future for the grade and the employer valuing the grade you are in probably plays some part in motivation of those in that grade to do a good job .

Perhaps logically if the grade is at threat you should go the extra mile , but only if you reasonably thought that would make any difference .

Of course the other side of it is the management of staff in this regard can have an impact on performance as well . Different management will take different approaches towards making sure staff are doing a good job / carrying out duties . Sometimes because of well motivated management (even related to the above), sometimes because different things are agreed through different companies collective bargaining structures for management of these matters .

I do at times wish people would not act like the world is against them at the mere suggestion that sometimes the guard is being lazy - because anyone who is a guard knows very well that that is on occasion very much the case.
Having been there id largely agree that we all have those days or parts of days , some have them far more frequently than others ofc . Most guards managers having been there themselves understand this hence why the odd train not checked or day of low revenue performance is generally tolerated as long as its the exception not the norm .

plugwash

Established Member
I've had at least one occasion where I have made it from the street outside my local station near manchester, to the street outside Euston without encoutering a single ticket check.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I've had at least one occasion where I have made it from the street outside my local station near manchester, to the street outside Euston without encoutering a single ticket check.
If you're travelling in Standard it's relatively uncommon for the train manager to actually be able to check everyone given they have so many other duties and a Standard ticket check usually comes last. Where you do get a ticket check in Standard it's usually either revenue or the assisting train manager. Of course for those boarding at London Euston a manual ticket check usually takes place. On less busy trains where they have 30-45 minutes between stops some may get through Standard.

plugwash

Established Member
I've found boarding at Euston I nearly always gets ticket checked (either by a staff member or a barrier dependin on platform), but alighting seems to be far more hit and miss.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I've found boarding at Euston I nearly always gets ticket checked (either by a staff member or a barrier dependin on platform), but alighting seems to be far more hit and miss.
It would be incredibly antisocial of them to force people to stand in an enormous queue to exit the station.

They may check tickets using the ticket gates on platforms 1-3 but generally these are left open for arrivals.

Krokodil

Established Member
If you're travelling in Standard it's relatively uncommon for the train manager to actually be able to check everyone given they have so many other duties and a Standard ticket check usually comes last. Where you do get a ticket check in Standard it's usually either revenue or the assisting train manager. Of course for those boarding at London Euston a manual ticket check usually takes place. On less busy trains where they have 30-45 minutes between stops some may get through Standard.
This makes Virgin's policy of not installing barriers at most stations absolutely daft. The amount of fare evasion that occurs on Avanti trains (Runcorn to Liverpool and Warrington to Wigan being two examples) would more than pay for the cost of barriers, and that's before you factor in the revenue lost by other companies serving the same stations.

Starmill

Veteran Member
This makes Virgin's policy of not installing barriers at most stations absolutely daft. The amount of fare evasion that occurs on Avanti trains (Runcorn to Liverpool and Warrington to Wigan being two examples) would more than pay for the cost of barriers, and that's before you factor in the revenue lost by other companies serving the same stations.
For short non-London journeys yes it's an inevitability. The old Virgin Trains approach was centered around onboard checks southbound by revenue and pre-boarding checks at London Euston, plus sometimes pre-boarding at Liverpool Lime Street and Glasgow Central. This has changed a little bit but as you say must be an awful lot of people getting away without paying given there's rarely any checking at all at Sandwell & Dudley, Stafford, Macclesfield, Runcorn, Warrington Bank Quay, Wigan North Western or Lancaster. Wolverhampton is gated now but hours are so poor it's making little difference. Preston and Carlisle have manual checks like Liverpool Lime Street but only occasionally.

Krokodil

Established Member
For short non-London journeys yes it's an inevitability. The old Virgin Trains approach was centered around onboard checks southbound by revenue and pre-boarding checks at London Euston, plus sometimes pre-boarding at Liverpool Lime Street and Glasgow Central. This has changed a little bit but as you say must be an awful lot of people getting away without paying given there's rarely any checking at all at Sandwell & Dudley, Stafford, Macclesfield, Runcorn, Warrington Bank Quay, Wigan North Western or Lancaster. Wolverhampton is gated now but hours are so poor it's making little difference. Preston and Carlisle have manual checks like Liverpool Lime Street but only occasionally.
When the Avanti franchise started RPIs were at Lime Street more often than not. I can't remember the last time I saw them now. Used to get them at Warrington too (the booking office would make a killing) but they seem to have lost interest. Northern however have started sending RPIs to Warrington BQ on a frequent basis.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In Scotland not all trains have Guards; some have ticket examiners instead; but you are quite right that the Guards up there are a lot more proactive than certain other operators.

I travelled from Stafford to Baillieston in 2019; back then I had to change twice on Avanti to reach Glasgow, and on all three trains (in first class) I was offered a first class service yet had no ticket check whatsoever. In stark contrast, a ticket inspection occured before the train doors had closed on the Scotrail train to Baillieston. Was I surprised? Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.