• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Onboard Ladies retiring room 1953

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
I've heard this mentioned today and have tried to find out more.
I can only find a short video, which shows a corridor compartment with a female attendant inside.
I'm guessing it's some sort of fancy ladies' toilet with a room for ladies to brush their hair or whatever.
Any ideas?
Here is a link to the video:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It’s a fancy name for the toilet. I’m not sure that’s an attendant btw, but another passenger. She’s very close and very friendly to be an attendant.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've heard this mentioned today and have tried to find out more.
I can only find a short video, which shows a corridor compartment with a female attendant inside.
I'm guessing it's some sort of fancy ladies' toilet with a room for ladies to brush their hair or whatever.
Any ideas?
Here is a link to the video:
Essentially yes, I believe that the WC was portioned separately so the sink could be used on its own, with a wider sort of base/shelf that items of makeup, brushes whatever could be put down on bit like a dressing table. I believe they also had a seat.

The Elizabethan had an FK and SK with retiring rooms until its withdrawal, but I'm not sure if it was the last train to have them.

Trackman

Established Member
It’s a fancy name for the toilet. I’m not sure that’s an attendant btw, but another passenger. She’s very close and very friendly to be an attendant.
Well that's how I became curious, a Flying Scotsman advert saying it had a ladies retiring room with a female attendant.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well that's how I became curious, a Flying Scotsman advert saying it had a ladies retiring room with a female attendant.
The Flying Scotsman had a sort of extended arrangement of the retiring room with a half-compartment coupé as a hairdressers waiting room with attendant for ladies where they could get their hair done. There was a barbers for gents as well. These were in the so-called "Toilet Third" before it was completely redeveloped into a cocktail bar car.

I think that's right, I need to check a book on LNER coaches tomorrow.

Trackman

Established Member
The Flying Scotsman had a sort of extended arrangement of the retiring room with a half-compartment coupé as a hairdressers waiting room with attendant for ladies where they could get their hair done. There was a barbers for gents as well. These were in the so-called "Toilet Third" before it was completely redeveloped into a cocktail bar car.

I think that's right, I need to check a book on LNER coaches tomorrow.
Many thanks, I'd love to know more.

Rescars

The concept of having your hair cut or being shaved at high speed is interesting, but doesn't sound, like the safest of activities - especially if the barber's shop is riding rough. That it happened at all is some testament to the condition of the pway and the maintenance ofr the running gear.

pdeaves

Established Member
The concept of having your hair cut or being shaved at high speed is interesting, but doesn't sound, like the safest of activities - especially if the barber's shop is riding rough. That it happened at all is some testament to the condition of the pway and the maintenance ofr the running gear.
and the skill of the barber(s). However smooth the track/train, there would still be 'high risks' at a junction/crossover!

Gloster

Established Member
and the skill of the barber(s). However smooth the track/train, there would still be 'high risks' at a junction/crossover!
One would hope that the barber or hairdresser would be like some of the experienced restaurant-car waiters and know when to pause in their work. Thinks, ’We’re approaching Doncaster (or wherever)’. Says, ‘Would Sir/Modom like a little more off the back?’ And then keep the conversation going until you are through the station. It is not a good idea to draw blood when cutting hair: better to be a lumberjack.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Many thanks, I'd love to know more.
I had a look and the arrangement started as this:

In 1928, when the non-stop Flying Scotsman was about to run it was decided to mark the commencement of the improved service by offering new services, you might say!

A TK (Third Corridor) had 2.5 compartments at one end reworked. These were reformed into a Ladies' Retiring Room and Hairdressing salon. The remaining 0.5 compartment served as a waiting room.

In 1932, the other end of the same coach was remodelled into a Cocktail Bar and provided with contemporary Art Deco features and furnishings.

It proved so popular it was redesignated as a Buffet Lounge.

The concept was improved upon with the 1938 "New" Scotsman which was furnished with an entirely new trainset of unique diagram coaches with only 4 seats in First and 6 seats in Third Class compartments.

The Toilet Third was done away with and instead a full Buffet Lounge Car with a 20 seat seating area with bar counter and adjoining pantry. The seating was partitioned from the corridor by glass (you can see this vehicle in the Elizabethan Express BTF film) and with a two-compartment size Ladies' Retiring Room at the far end.

Trackman

Established Member
I had a look and the arrangement started as this:

In 1928, when the non-stop Flying Scotsman was about to run it was decided to mark the commencement of the improved service by offering new services, you might say!

A TK (Third Corridor) had 2.5 compartments at one end reworked. These were reformed into a Ladies' Retiring Room and Hairdressing salon. The remaining 0.5 compartment served as a waiting room.

In 1932, the other end of the same coach was remodelled into a Cocktail Bar and provided with contemporary Art Deco features and furnishings.

It proved so popular it was redesignated as a Buffet Lounge.

The concept was improved upon with the 1938 "New" Scotsman which was furnished with an entirely new trainset of unique diagram coaches with only 4 seats in First and 6 seats in Third Class compartments.

The Toilet Third was done away with and instead a full Buffet Lounge Car with a 20 seat seating area with bar counter and adjoining pantry. The seating was partitioned from the corridor by glass (you can see this vehicle in the Elizabethan Express BTF film) and with a two-compartment size Ladies' Retiring Room at the far end.
Many thanks.
I've found out more about the 'Scotsman days in a book, they really did go to town with luxury travel- so much so the Pullman company had to step up it's game.
This ladies 'retiring room' also sold stuff. There was also an onboard WHS salesman (or person) who sold the days newspapers and books from a trolley or something.
Apparently these additions plus the cocktail bar were a huge success.
In the book it says the retiring room was halved to extend the cocktail bar.

I'll just throw this in- the amenities were available to all class of passengers.

Off on a slight tangent, passengers in First (there was a 'super first' class as well with armchairs) had sockets next to the seats so they could plug in headphones and listen to the radio! (I kid ye not). .. I wonder if Branson thought it was first?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Many thanks.
I've found out more about the 'Scotsman days in a book, they really did go to town with luxury travel- so much so the Pullman company had to step up it's game.
This ladies 'retiring room' also sold stuff. There was also an onboard WHS salesman (or person) who sold the days newspapers and books from a trolley or something.
Apparently these additions plus the cocktail bar were a huge success.
In the book it says the retiring room was halved to extend the cocktail bar.

I'll just throw this in- the amenities were available to all class of passengers.

Off on a slight tangent, passengers in First (there was a 'super first' class as well with armchairs) had sockets next to the seats so they could plug in headphones and listen to the radio! (I kid ye not). .. I wonder if Branson thought it was first?
I believe the "Travelling newsman" had a large wooden tray, with a sort of belt that went round the back of the neck to hold it.

The radio thing was a bit of a fad - particularly when north of York reception was so spotty that use of a gramophone was resorted to!

The "Super" Scotsman also had double glazing with filtered glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.