• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ongoing ScotRail disruption - Day to day discussion and updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Down to hourly on the EG! And only one train each way covering the full GSW. That’s a poor show, even for this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I'm not going to get into the ins and outs of why this is, there are plenty of other threads on here for people to be rude to each other about that but I would agree that this is a poor show but obviously this is what they think they can safely and reliably operate based on the resources available to them.

To your average passenger they are simply going to take one look at this and reach 4 for the car keys or their contactless payment device which a hungry bus or coach ticket machine will gladly take a bite out of. It is perhaps a little embarrassing that even on a Sunday with a driver shortage and a pandemic still going on in the background we can manage a 15-minute frequency coach service between Scotland's two major cities but yet only one train an hour. I really hope that as many extra carriages are deployed as possible on roots with poor service

My message as someone who is still trying very hard to love the railway is be kind to the staff that are working, be patient with everyone and lobby your elected representatives as hard as you can so that they in turn can turn up the heat and ultimately get this sorted. It must have been a very difficult task for the train planners and to anyone reading this thank you

Peter0124

Established Member
Does this mean Citylink Glasgow<->Edinburgh now have a more frequent service on Sundays than all the rail routes?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Depending on where you are travelling from the coach can often win on journey time anyway.

Assuming it runs to time it is faster than the route via bathgate not by much but still faster and if like me you live on the northwest or Western fringe of the city it is absolutely much quicker than going to Haymarket or Waverley or even Edinburgh park for the train, which may or may not involve a change of train depending on your starting station

One thing that you can’t see online is that on the station departure screens the 1140 Fort William to Glasgow has shown as cancelled when it isn’t both days I have seen it. This is a serious concern considering it is the last train of the day except for the reservation only sleeper nearly 8 hours later. There was a collective sense of dread at Corrour yesterday as the screen showed it was cancelled, the departure time came and went, it disappeared off the screens only to come round the corner 15 minutes late. Every bit of info was saying it wasn’t coming, only the lack of alternatives kept people waiting in hope. I would be seriously annoyed if I had walked away, to see/hear it 15 mins later and missed it. I wonder how many this has happened to. This needs sorting asap

Class 170101

Established Member
One thing that you can’t see online is that on the station departure screens the 1140 Fort William to Glasgow has shown as cancelled when it isn’t both days I have seen it. This is a serious concern considering it is the last train of the day except for the reservation only sleeper nearly 8 hours later. There was a collective sense of dread at Corrour yesterday as the screen showed it was cancelled, the departure time came and went, it disappeared off the screens only to come round the corner 15 minutes late. Every bit of info was saying it wasn’t coming, only the lack of alternatives kept people waiting in hope. I would be seriously annoyed if I had walked away, to see/hear it 15 mins later and missed it. I wonder how many this has happened to. This needs sorting asap
Guess it does't register at previous stops like Speam Bridge on sites like Real Time Trains?

GLC

Excellent news. I hope this means the emergency timetable can begin to be fleshed out soon

Deltic1961

Problem with this is literally every Tom, Dick or Harry that works in the Scottish public sector will now expect the same, indeed even Scotrail staff who aren't drivers.

This may be a solution to one problem but will open the floodgates to many, many more.

This ain't over at all.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Problem with this is literally every Tom, Dick or Harry that works in the Scottish public sector will now expect the same, indeed even Scotrail staff who aren't drivers.

This may be a solution to one problem but will open the floodgates to many, many more.

This ain't over at all.
Agreed there. Hopefully the SNPs have factored that in when they authorised the pay deal.

Deltic1961

I would doubt that as it's just been announced they''re 3.5bn pounds in the c**p

GLC

I would doubt that as it's just been announced they''re 3.5bn pounds in the c**p
no such thing was announced. What was announced was a projection of a £3.5 billion shortfall by 2026/27. You can read the report here for more information (which also discusses the possibility of there being a £10 billion shortfall, or a £4 billion surplus such is current uncertainty) https://ifs.org.uk/publications/16067

Rich McLean

Established Member
Excellent news. I hope this means the emergency timetable can begin to be fleshed out soon
It won't until enough crew are passed competent on routes and stock. Things will slowly get better over time.

59CosG95

Established Member
The Highlands are still pretty poorly served as well, particularly the WHL, which now only has 1 direct train from Mallaig to Glasgow QS Mon-Sat; the 0603.
On Saturdays, Calmac's first sailing from Armadale to Mallaig is at 0805, arriving 0850 - giving about 5 minutes to catch the 534 bus to Fort William opposite the Boat Yard.
This bus is then the only connection from Mallaig to the 1140 departure from Fort William to Glasgow QS (the 1140 is normally the 1010 departure from Mallaig, cut back to start at FTW).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Whilst this week has doubtless not been representative due to the national strikes, I was under the impression that things are in the process of being restored to whatever ScotRail calls normal now that an agreement has been reached. Am I wrong? What is the situation if I am

MacCookie

The only trains restored so far have been some, but not all, of the last services. Which, given that it is now 17 days since a deal was apparently agreed, is very poor.

9 June:

Speaking following talks with ASLEF, ScotRail said its offer recognises the cost-of-living challenges faced by families and delivers good value for the public. ASLEF said it would recommend putting the offer to a referendum of its members and recommend acceptance of the offer itself.

10 June:

“The temporary timetable is providing customers with greater certainty and reliability as we seek to reach agreement with ASLEF.”

Falcon1200

Established Member
There has, apparently, been no attempt to improve the timetable since the restoration of some last trains from the 10th June (and no update whatsoever on Scotrail's website either). Meaning, for example, that on my line the first two trains are still off (so the earliest possible arrival into Glasgow is around 0800) and nothing back out between 1935 and 2305; Yet an almost full service operates during the day. Also, the last train from Glasgow to Barrhead and Kilmarnock is still 1933.

It's almost as if no-one cares.......

I believe the ballot doesn't close for another ten days.

That seems a long time to ballot what is not really a huge number of people. And it means that the temporary timetable, already on the go for four weeks, is going to continue for at least two more.

Last edited:

lachlan

ScotRail have pulled the early morning trains from Aberdeen to Glasgow next week, with no replacement transport organised. Presumably other routes are affected too.

cf111

Established Member
ScotRail have pulled the early morning trains from Aberdeen to Glasgow next week, with no replacement transport organised. Presumably other routes are affected too.
Late trains between Aberdeen and Inverness pulled too. Last train to Aberdeen departs 1805, last train to Inverness departs 1818. Full timetable on Saturday according to journey planners and RTT but I've no idea if that will be the case. Most inconvenient as it means there's no connection to Aberdeen off the 1600 from Wick.

Deltic1961

I've given up with Scotrail. Taking the bus is a bit more expensive and a longer journey but at least its reliable.

All this temporary timetable stuff is a mess. Certain trains running some days and not others. Passengers need consistency.

My son is just taking his car now. Last train home on Wednesday was 20.45 and that was before his film finished.

Interesting seeing the Scotrail executive salaries considering its a poor poor service and they must be haemorrhaging revenue.

Interesting times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.