• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Access Operator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T163R

Hi everyone :)

There are "classic" TOCs in UK, but I see there are also Open Access Operators

I was wondering what's the difference between a "classic" TOC and an Open-Access TOC.

Thanks ! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Open Access Operators are operators that are under no commitment to the government and have the right to operate trains where they like, providing timetable paths are available and subject to agreement of the Office of Rail Regulation. Most open access operators run freight services but a small number operate passenger trains.

Current passenger Open Access Operators are Grand Central (Sunderland/Bradford - London Kings Cross), Heathrow Express (London Paddington - Heathrow Airport) and First Hull Trains (Hull to London Kings Cross).

Jdrowlands

A classic (franchised) operator is contracted by the DfT to provide train services, whereas an open-access operator simply pays for track access rights, and runs services independently.

Edit: Beaten to it!

T163R

Thanks for the replies :)

But what are the advantages/disadvantages of being contracted by DfT or not ?

East Coast was an Open Access TOC in the past, no ?

Nym

Established Member
Open Access operators can also choose weather or not to be part of ATOC (National Rail) and accept National Rail tickets, for example, VSOE doesn't accept ATOC tickets, but is an open access operations (feel free to correct me here pepole)

WestCoast

Established Member
Don't forget Wrexham and Shr... Ah, don't worry.

For the purposes of the thread, Wrexham & Shropshire were another Open Access Operator, that operated between Wrexham General - London Marylebone via Shrewsbury and the Chiltern Main Line.. They were famous for having the highest satisfaction levels on the network - close to 100%. Sadly, they folded in January 2011, with a variety of reasons cited.

Some of their stock is now in operation with their sister company, Chiltern Railways on their loco-hauled diagrams, which T163R was advised on in another thread.

Metrailway

Thanks for the replies :)

But what are the advantages/disadvantages of being contracted by DfT or not ?

Your classic TOC is usually subsidised by the Govt to operate services, whilst your Open Access TOC is completely commercial, with no taxpayer support.

MCR247

Established Member
Open Access operators can also choose weather or not to be part of ATOC (National Rail) and accept National Rail tickets, for example, VSOE doesn't accept ATOC tickets, but is an open access operations (feel free to correct me here pepole)

Erm no its just a railtour isn't it?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

No it wasn't :)

Crossover

Established Member
For the purposes of the thread, Wrexham & Shropshire were another Open Access Operator, that operated between Wrexham General - London Marylebone

One could be forgiven that they still do since the (staff version anyway) of the Live Departure Boards still has the odd services showing between Wrexham and Wolves!

WestCoast

Established Member
I think I read this somewhere :/

Grand Central and First Hull Trains are Open Access Operators, and they both operate on the East Coast Main Line. East Coast, the operator which was formely NXEC and GNER, is not Open Access.

attics26

only real difference is that the open access boys are fly by night wannabees who advertise they run to places no-one ever wanted to go to whilst making sure they call at a major station on the mainline robbing the classic tocs of their hard earned money.

note: others may word it slightly differently to me.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
others may word it slightly differently to me.
I can think of some major TOCs running long-distance services who complain quite blatantly about 'ORCATS raids' on their revenue by Open Access operators. The same TOCs run services which call just once a day at many locations which are otherwise well served by other operators; and as a consequence, these TOCs have the benefit of ORCATS distribution of all inter-available ticket revenue from passengers using those well-served stations.

I've long held the view that when the ORCATS model is discussed, its called a 'raid' by the TOC who looses a little income, but it is NEVER EVER referred to by the TOC when they gain their proportion of massive commuter flows from the incumbent operators' routes.

Its nothing to do with what is fair or just. Its all to do with 'spin' and how competition leads to different ways of telling the truth.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
ATW run two open access services funded & on behalf by WAG, both services are known as WAG1 class 57 & WAG2 175.

Both are funded to run Holyhead/Cardiff and return once a day.

WAG1 uses leased 57 stock currently funded at £2M plus PA to Dec 2011.

WAG2 uses 175 stock leased from ATW itself funded at £100K a month until Dec 2011, this is supposed to covert to leased in 67 & stock from Dec 2011
timetable, ATW will receive £3.5M from WAG to hire in 67 stock for 7 years,

ATW receive all fare income as part of the OA deal. These two trains are the only Government OA Type services that run anywhere in the UK.

Bob
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ATW still show WSMR rimes in their timetables!

Not in the printed versions,only mention is in list of providers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.