• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operation Snap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman78

Established Member
For those that don't know, it's a website for uploading footage of driving offences. Does anyone have any experience of using this site? Anyone had any feedback from the Police or had to attend court?

I rarely use it. There are plenty of rubbish drivers about, but most of the time I can't be bothered. The site has a few pitfalls. For a start, it states that footage must be unedited and kept on the original device. My SD card is 32 GB, enough for just over two hours of footage. How many SD cards am I expected to buy? Also, my camera saves the footage in 3.72 GB chunks, approx 18 minutes each. The maximum size of clip that can be uploaded is 1024 MB so inevitably it has to be edited in order to upload it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve attempted to upload footage before, in particular someone using a mobile phone whilst driving, but the police website says “Footage must cover two minutes before and two minutes after the event.”

I wasn’t quite sure how using a mobile phone would fit in to that, because surely I can’t have been expected to provide footage from before he picked his phone up. I had a good 30 second clip of the vehicle moving (on a Motorway) as well as the driver.

My camera takes video in 5 minute chunks as well. What happens if the event occurs right at the beginning or end of a chunk of video?

I had the misfortune to have a bad accident at 2am in October 2018. My dashcam recorded the 'accident' and it was in the middle of the clip. You just see a couple of minutes of night driving when suddenly I hit a car that inexplicably turned 90 degrees right in front of me with absolutely no chance of avoiding it.

Then the fun started Luckily I was virtually uninjured, but my wife suffered bad bruising. So the dashcam footage had to go to the police and insurance company. As stated above, I couldn't attach the file to email as it was too large (my internet provider now has a method of sharing large files but I haven't explored that), so all I could do at the time was to upload it to Youtube and send a link. I have since managed to figure out how to edit video, but it sounds as though this platform doesn't allow this.

If anyone is interested, the video is here. You can see the preceding 2 minutes if you wish; if you are easily botes, jump to ~2.00.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I’ve attempted to upload footage before, in particular someone using a mobile phone whilst driving, but the police website says “Footage must cover two minutes before and two minutes after the event.”

I wasn’t quite sure how using a mobile phone would fit in to that, because surely I can’t have been expected to provide footage from before he picked his phone up. I had a good 30 second clip of the vehicle moving (on a Motorway) as well as the driver.

Which is irritating. As a pedestrian I lose count of the number of cars driving by with drivers on a phone, but no chance of providing that level of evidence (or even getting a camera out). Including one who was coming straight at me as I was on the outside pavement of a sharp bend who visibly swerved his car when he looked up from the screen...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My camera takes video in 5 minute chunks as well. What happens if the event occurs right at the beginning or end of a chunk of video?

I had the misfortune to have a bad accident at 2am in October 2018. My dashcam recorded the 'accident' and it was in the middle of the clip. You just see a couple of minutes of night driving when suddenly I hit a car that inexplicably turned 90 degrees right in front of me with absolutely no chance of avoiding it.

Then the fun started Luckily I was virtually uninjured, but my wife suffered bad bruising. So the dashcam footage had to go to the police and insurance company. As stated above, I couldn't attach the file to email as it was too large (my internet provider now has a method of sharing large files but I haven't explored that), so all I could do at the time was to upload it to Youtube and send a link. I have since managed to figure out how to edit video, but it sounds as though this platform doesn't allow this.

If anyone is interested, the video is here. You can see the preceding 2 minutes if you wish; if you are easily botes, jump to ~2.00.
Ouch!

GB

Established Member

What was the reason given for the other cars headlights going out and the car pulling into your lane? Did it hit something?

What was the reason given for the other cars headlights going out and the car pulling into your lane? Did it hit something?

We don't know. There was no turning on that side. It had been raining although you can see that it wasn't raining at the time as my wipers weren't on. There was a puddle in a dip 90 metres further up the road and she claimed to have lost control. I don't know if it was connected. Unfortunately, due to the place it happened (on the convergence of counties), things got complicated. I didn't speak to her as much as she was in pain and being looked after by a passing tanker driver, and she was taken to hospital whilst I was dealing with the police and looking after my wife.

Bikeman78

Established Member

The Welsh Gosafesnap website doesn't seem to mention anything about two minutes before or after but it does insist that the footage must be stored on the original SD card. Can anyone explain what is the point of this?

najaB

Veteran Member

I guess that if you had several minutes of him using his phone it would be usable. Since that would negate the "it only looks like I'm using it because of the moment it was caught in" type defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.