• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Opportunity to use of (Class 230) D Stock to Open/Enhance Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

contractador

So I was wondering, currently the D stock/class 230 project has suffered some challenges (e.g. Northern/East Anglia franchises). However, what if instead of using these trains as a stop-gap measure for electrification, they were used to enable the re-establishment or significant enhancement of services on a lower cost basis than would otherwise be the case?

I appreciate that whilst significant, rolling stock is not the only cost element. However, would there be projects around the UK where this may mean that a route creation/enhancement is able to take place that otherwise might not?

NB I have created a separate forum as my question is around the feasibility of using the units for creating new routes/opportunities rather than the units themselves

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
There's already a thread on this, and it has more than 230 bloody pages, even though the thing hasn't turned a wheel on the national network, save for the LU and Long Marston sidings.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So I was wondering, currently the D stock/class 230 project has suffered some challenges (e.g. Northern/East Anglia franchises). However, what if instead of using these trains as a stop-gap measure for electrification, they were used to enable the re-establishment or significant enhancement of services on a lower cost basis than would otherwise be the case?
If you have any suggestions for particular improvements to services, feel free to post a thread. But if not...
I appreciate that whilst significant, rolling stock is not the only cost element. However, would there be projects around the UK where this may mean that a route creation/enhancement is able to take place that otherwise might not?
Any low cost vehicle will help, but this isn't the only option...
NB I have created a separate forum as my question is around the feasibility of using the units for creating new routes/opportunities rather than the units themselves
My understanding is that the original thread has already looked at such issues. A thread dedicated to a particular proposal is fine, but I don't think we want a thread discussing all sorts of different projects up and down the country which may or may not be able to use this particular solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.