• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Optare Metrodecker Emergency(?) Braking

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all,

I've just travelled from Kensal Rise to Wandsworth on an Optare Metrodecker on the TfL route 28.

Throughout the journey, the bus braked incredibly heavily multiple times, almost sending me flying into the window. The first time, I'd assumed an animal or such had run out into the road, but it continued to happen a handful of times afterwards.

After the first time, the driver did also pull over and restart the bus.

It felt almost like an "emergency brake" of sorts - I don't know if such a function exists.

Just curious as to what this may have been? Is this a common occurrence on Optare Metrodeckers?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hue166

I think it's just the joys of modern technology, effectively relying on a computer to run the bus. It happened on the E400MMC I had at Stockport a couple of weeks ago.

Eyersey468

Established Member
It may be the bus and not bad driving, we had some Volvo B7TLs that were terrible at braking, either nothing happened or the bus stood on its nose, it was impossible to get smooth braking with them

lxfe_mxtterz

It may be the bus and not bad driving, we had some Volvo B7TLs that were terrible at braking, either nothing happened or the bus stood on its nose, it was impossible to get smooth braking with them
Possibly so, although it seemed as though the driver wasn't braking whenever it happened.

The occurrences were all on empty roads, with no traffic lights, etc. Just merrily going along and then being flung forward followed by screaming from the passengers.

Definitely felt like a technical malfunction of sorts - although, of course, can't be certain.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Our coaches also have a collision warning system on them which if it thinks you are going to crash slams the brakes on, the system is hopeless as it goes off when you are nowhere near something and the time you really are at risk of a collision there isn't a peep from it, I wonder if the bus had such a system fitted?

lxfe_mxtterz

Our coaches also have a collision warning system on them which if it thinks you are going to crash slams the brakes on, the system is hopeless as it goes off when you are nowhere near something and the time you really are at risk of a collision there isn't a peep from it, I wonder if the bus had such a system fitted?
That's interesting. I did wonder whether a mechanism similar to that existed and was responsible for the harsh braking.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Possibly so, although it seemed as though the driver wasn't braking whenever it happened.

The occurrences were all on empty roads, with no traffic lights, etc. Just merrily going along and then being flung forward followed by screaming from the passengers.

Definitely felt like a technical malfunction of sorts - although, of course, can't be certain.
Sounds like an interlock fault - possibly door or ramp related.

Eyersey468

Established Member
That's interesting. I did wonder whether a mechanism similar to that existed and was responsible for the harsh braking.
I'm not aware of any service buses being built with the collision avoidance thing on them though,as far as I was aware it's just coaches

TB

We have the collision avoidance on our Mellor Stratas, but whether any buses built specifically as a bus, rather than a van with a bus body on it, have it I couldn't say.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Was it a diesel Metrodecker or was it a Metrodecker EV? The EVs have regenerative braking, could be something to do with that.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Some of the B7TLs I drove had very sharp brakes also a jerk on every downchange while braking. It was caused by the automatic retarder being faulty or worn, turning it off and the brakes were fine but you had to endure an incredibly annoying warning alarm.

This was unpleasant snatching though, nothing like as heavy as the OP describes.

There is no way I would have continued in service in a bus doing that, if it was as violent as you describe then it is unsafe for everyone aboard and other road users as well as an injury lawsuit magnet. Terminate the service at the first opportunity and a call to the maintenance dept for a repair or a tow is the only sensible response to random heavy braking.

If I was a passenger I would have questioned the driver as to what was going on and advised him of the above before leaving the bus at the earliest opportunity.

lxfe_mxtterz

There is no way I would have continued in service in a bus doing that, if it was as violent as you describe then it is unsafe for everyone aboard and other road users as well as an injury lawsuit magnet. Terminate the service at the first opportunity and a call to the maintenance dept for a repair or a tow is the only sensible response to random heavy braking.

If I was a passenger I would have questioned the driver as to what was going on and advised him of the above before leaving the bus at the earliest opportunity.
The braking certainly was rather violent, with people being flung forward and bags flying off seats. The only other time I have experienced such heavy braking was on a Falcon Buses 715 when a car had suddenly pulled out in front of us on the A3.

Unfortunately, I had a train to catch so couldn't afford to be fussy with which bus I was on. Though I was concerned when we got into Wandsworth and saw the driver switching the blinds to "Kensal Rise", implying it was going back rather than being taken out of service.

The fast section along Swandon Way (just before Wandsworth) was quite honestly terrifying though. All the occurrences thus far had thankfully been at a lower speed, but I couldn't help think what if the brakes slammed on again along this section.