• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orange stripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

T163R

Hi everyone :D

I would like to know why is there an orange stripe on all British trains on top of the windows, on all the train (signification, origin, history...)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a warning to people not go above the line as it would bring them into dangerously close contact with overhead wires (assuming their present). Not sure when it was introduced.

T163R

It's a warning to people not go above the line as it would bring them into dangerously close contact with overhead wires (assuming their present). Not sure when it was introduced.

If this is the message the stripe is here to give...it's not evident...At all !

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
We call it the CANT line where I am, don't know if it is referred to as anything different elsewhere.

CANT line around here too - because you 'CANT' touch above it and expect to live (or something like that!). It is, basically, a safe distance line when under OHLE.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It is commonly known as the cant rail stripe, as it was generally applied at the height of the cant rail (where the side of the train meets the roof), but in some cases it may not be. I reckon they started to appear around about 1988-89 on stock that had to work under overhead lines. I'm reasonably sure the 319/1s (1988-89) had them from new, but I don't think the 319/0s (1987-88) did.

GB

Established Member
Its strange that tanker wagons do no require the cant line as its not uncommon for some workers to climb on top of them during the course of their duties...obviously not while under OLE.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi everyone :D

I would like to know why is there an orange stripe on all British trains on top of the windows, on all the train (signification, origin, history...)

It's never a good idea to use terms like 'all British trains' unless you are really sure... :D

There are at least two complete EMU classes running around without the orange cantrail stripes and OHLE warning signs - 444 and 450.

andyfrommk

.... it was generally applied at the height of the cant rail (where the side of the train meets the roof), but in some cases it may not be.

Like underneath the windshields of a class 37?.
The point being if the windshield is broken don't put any appendage outside
If this is the message the stripe is here to give...it's not evident...At all !
There are little stickers on the ends of vehicles warning about the danger of the overhead line,

T163R

It's never a good idea to use terms like 'all British trains' unless you are really sure... :D

There are at least two complete EMU classes running around without the orange cantrail stripes and OHLE warning signs - 444 and 450.

Class 444s and 450s are 3rd rail DC units... I should've thought about that. But do other 3rd rail units have the orange stripe ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There are little stickers on the ends of vehicles warning about the danger of the overhead line,

There should be stickers on the side of the train, too !

jopsuk

Veteran Member

458s don't either, but oddly SWTs 455s DO. As do their 158/159 fleet. Southern's 455/456 and DC-only 375s have it. Southeastern's fleet (perhaps not the 376s?) use platforms at Ashford that have OHL.

Are there any parts of the Merseyrail electric network that also have OHL? They have it

FGW's "west" fleet never travel under OHL, only the HSS and Thames Valley (between Paddington and Heathrow), yet have it.

ATW? Only services from the north into England, so the Pacer fleet at the very least has no real need.

T163R

FGW's "west" fleet never travel under OHL, only the HSS and Thames Valley (between Paddington and Heathrow), yet have it.

I suppose they should have it in case FGW pass trains to another TOC, that has diesel trains who run under OHL.

Hydro

Established Member
Below sole bar level is generally said to be the no go area for DC.

I take it that's a general thing, because for track workers it was always not within a foot unless shielded or isolated, or not within a metre if it was wet.

GB

Established Member
I believe it is a general thing to take into account on board conductor equipment etc etc. At least that it my understanding of it....

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It is a general warning. There are plenty of instances where a driver would need to leave the cab and walk along DC lines. Talking on the SPT being a daily occurrence.

WillPS

Established Member
If that's the maximum safe height then why does it often rise up higher over the cabs (particularly on Turbostars)?

TDK

Established Member
Below sole bar level is generally said to be the no go area for DC.

I don't know about now but there were a lot of things a driver was expected to do below sole bare if there were problems without an isolation - maybe it has changed now!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If that's the maximum safe height then why does it often rise up higher over the cabs (particularly on Turbostars)?

It isn't necessarily at the exact safe height - it really just has to be a noticeable reminder - the cant rail was as good a place as any to put it on traditional coaching stock as there was usually a structural boundary between coach side and roof, any further up mightn't be visible from the platform. I wouldn't read too much into the exact positioning on modern stock, where the transition from side to roof is less sudden.

(There's a slightly similar factor with yellow warning panel dimensions - as we know most of them are far bigger than required for asthetic reasons.)

GB

Established Member
I don't know about now but there were a lot of things a driver was expected to do below sole bare if there were problems without an isolation - maybe it has changed now!

I'm more than likely wrong. I don't usually work in DC land but I seem to remember reading it or hearing it somewhere.

Flamingo

Established Member
Cant is a noun meaning "the slope or angle at which something is set". As the Cant line is usually where the angle of the roof changes, it may be where it got it's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.