• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ORR Estimates of Station usage April 2021-March 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member

The ORR figures are out to the public. Some quick observations show London Waterloo is back to being the busiest station (41.4 million).

Busiest stations outside London are Birmingham New Street (22.7 million),
Manchester Piccadilly (19.6 million) and Leeds (19.3 million) which are in 8th, 10th and 11th place respectively.

Glasgow Central (15.3 million, 16th place in Britain) remains Scotlands busiest station with Edinburgh (13.6 million, 19th place in Britain) coming a fairly close second.

Some more observations show Preston as being 4.165 million, the station was 4.937 million in 2019/20 (source: Wikipedia)
So it's at about 84% of 2019/20 figures.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

03_179

Established Member
The infographics are there but the ods and csv are the old 20/21 files still

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
An unexpected least-used I'd never heard of: Elton & Orston, near Nottingham. One train in each direction per day (though at useful-ish times for central Nottingham office workers if they can do flexitime to arrive early and leave by 1630) and basically nothing really near it bar two very small villages.

At 40 entrances/exits, that looks a bit like a home worker from one of the villages who goes into an office in Nottingham once every couple of weeks. A personal station! :)

I doubt Kempston Hardwick will get it again, development is going on nearby so people do now use it. Though I'm surprised Altnabreac gets more!

Acfb

3,638 is not bad for Breich, considering Addiewell had only 11,226.

PTR 444

Established Member
London Waterloo may have reclaimed the UK’s busiest station title, but its usage figures are still less than half of that of 2019-20

LowLevel

Established Member
An unexpected least-used I'd never heard of: Elton & Orston, near Nottingham. One train in each direction per day (though at useful-ish times for central Nottingham office workers if they can do flexitime to arrive early and leave by 1630) and basically nothing really near it bar two very small villages.

At 40 entrances/exits, that looks a bit like a home worker from one of the villages who goes into an office in Nottingham once every couple of weeks. A personal station! :)

I doubt Kempston Hardwick will get it again, development is going on nearby so people do now use it. Though I'm surprised Altnabreac gets more!
Mostly railway enthusiasts to Elton. Very rare for anyone else to get off. Very occasionally a chap will get on for Nottingham in the morning but not seen him for a while.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surprised there's not been a thread on this yet...
Even though they’ve only been issued today? Perhaps you were just the first to notice?

Waterloo being so low compared to pre 2020 must still be having a massive impact on SWR overall revenue, whatever’s believed to be happening with recovery nationally.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Its one of those stations which seems to always be in the 'bottom 20'.

Although my prediction of Lelant Saltings being in the bottom 10 this year proved wrong.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Even though they’ve only been issued today? Perhaps you were just the first to notice?

Waterloo being so low compared to pre 2020 must still be having a massive impact on SWR overall revenue, whatever’s believed to be happening with recovery nationally.

If Waterloo's still low compared to 19/20, so too must be its runners up, such as Victoria and Liverpool Street.

Deepgreen

Established Member

There's a picture which apparently shows "Sir Winston Churchill's coffin being put on a Battle-of-Britain-Class locomotive" - top quality reporting as usual from the BBC.
Yes - I just saw that! What a sad state of affairs when reporting is at this low standard. It really makes me wonder about the reporting of other topics of which I have lesser knowledge. I'm minded to report it to the BBC as a factual inaccuracy.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes - I just saw that! What a sad state of affairs when reporting is at this low standard. It really makes me wonder about the reporting of other topics of which I have lesser knowledge. I'm minded to report it to the BBC as a factual inaccuracy.
The whole article has a very click-baity vibe. Disappointing but not hugely surprising given the deterioration in the calibre of the BBC News website/app; you'd be forgiven for thinking it was CBBC News!

D821

The infographics are there but the ods and csv are the old 20/21 files still
I think they're incomplete. Column 'k' seems to have the 21/22 figures, but they're missing loads. Assuming I'm reading it right.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
they have changed the picture in the linked article - but that wont stop the usual suspects having the usual whines about file photos!

KENNY GET ME ZANTAC! ;)

Gloster

Established Member
I took that bit of the BBC’s article as being a few bits of extra information about Waterloo station, which is the busiest station, rather than part of the main article. The main article continues further down, as is normal.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Elton and Orston has the least amount of passengers? I'm surprised! I would have thought it would have been something like Berney Arms or some rural halt in the middle of nowhere in Wales, Scotland or somewhere on the Settle & Carlisle line.

dk1

Veteran Member
I’m not taking the figures particularly seriously as the majority of it was during the pandemic & vastly different to what we see today.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It was a joke.
I got it! However, given that many of us expect the BBC to uphold good grammatical standards, it also shouldn't read "Battle-of-Britain-Class", but 'Battle of Britain' class - i.e. no hyphens and 'class' not capitalised. The decline continues unabated.

Boski

I’m not taking the figures particularly seriously as the majority of it was during the pandemic & vastly different to what we see today.
Rankings would be about right id say though

The exile

Established Member
Elton and Orston has the least amount of passengers? I'm surprised! I would have thought it would have been something like Berney Arms or some rural halt in the middle of nowhere in Wales, Scotland or somewhere on the Settle & Carlisle line.
Those have tourist potential

Rankings would be about right id say though
Except for any stations closed “by COVID” during the period (TfW local door stations were surely closed for some of this period, for example)

greyman42

Established Member
I would be surprised if any station on the Settle & Carlisle came near the bottom 10.

wilbers

Report here https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/media/2150/station-usage-2021-22-statistical-release.pdf

and full list of all stations here https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...terchanges-by-station.ods&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK

I would be surprised if any station on the Settle & Carlisle came near the bottom 10.

Armathwaite is the least used on the line (Dent is second least used). For 2021/2 6,988 entries & exits, 2,339 busiest out of 2,570; so 231 stations with less usage.

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Column K is Interchanges, getting off one service and onto a different without leaving the station.

Established Member
Surprised at how high Grantham is almost 1.2m, compared to Newark for example, that’s over 3,200 entries and exits a day Every day

Status
Not open for further replies.