• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oscar Pistorius Charged with Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
From The Times said:
Oscar Pistorius, the South African paralympian known as the “blade runner”, has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend, the model Reeva Steenkamp.

Ms Steenkamp was shot dead overnight in Pistorius’s house in the upmarket Silver Lakes area of Pretoria and the athlete is due to appear in court this afternoon for a bail hearing.

Witnesses claimed to have “heard things” at the house earlier yesterday evening. “Previous incidents” of a “domestic nature” had taken place at the Pistorius home, said Brigadier Denise Beukes of the South African police.

A police spokesman, Katlego Mogale, said earlier: “A 26-year-old man has been taken into custody for shooting a 30-year-old woman.

“The deceased was shot four times and died on the scene. It is believed that she was the girlfriend of the accused,” Ms Mogale added.

There were unconfirmed reports that the 3am tragedy may have been a Valentine’s Day surprise gone wrong. South African news outlets said that Pistorius may have mistaken his girlfriend for a burglar, but Brigadier Beukes said that that version of events had not come from the police.

In one of her final tweets, Ms Steenkamp asked “”What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow???” under the hash-tags #getexcited and #valentinesday.

Ms Steenkamp had been dating the internationally acclaimed sprinter for almost a year.

Ms Mogale said that police recovered a 9mm pistol from the scene. Officials later said that Mr Pistorius was waiting for police to arrive, but that someone else made the emergency call.

In a brief statement to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation, the athlete’s father, Henke, said his heart went out to the relatives of the dead woman, who has not been named officially.

In a statement offering its condolences to the “families of all concerned”, South Africa’s Olympic Committee said it understood from local media reports that “there has been an alleged fatal shooting on the basis of a mistaken identity and an apparent assumption of a burglary”.

Police Captain Sarah Meira told the South African news website DieBeeld that the woman had been shot in the head and arm.

Pistorius earned international acclaim after becoming the first double amputee to compete in the able-bodied Olympics, using carbon fibre blades in lieu of his lower legs, both of which were amputated because of a a congenital disorder when he was just 11 months old.

He reached the semi-finals of the 400 metres at London 2012, but has also endured controversy over claims that his prosthetic limbs give him an unfair advantage over able-bodied athletes.

His sponsors will now be taking stock of their association to a fallen icon. His lucrative endorsement contracts are with BT, Nike, Oakley sunglasses, Thierry Mugler, the French fashion house, and Ossur, which makes his running blades. A spokesman for BT said: “We are shocked by this terrible, tragic news. We await the outcome of the South African police investigation.”

Fast Track, the agency that represents him in the UK, declined to comment.

Athletes waking up today began to react on Twitter. “What an awful tragedy,” Jessica Ennis said. “Thoughts and prayers with you,” Phillips Idowu added.

Pistorius’ last high-profile public appearance was on Piers Morgan’s show in the United States.

Tributes to the Ms Steenkamp – who described herself as a law graduate, model and covergirl – began appearing on Twitter immediately after first reports of her death emerged this morning.

“You will be missed Reeva - your tweets made me laugh.RIP. this is a tragic day for all South Africans, crime claims another’’, said one Twitter user.

‘’I’m so sorry this had to happen to you! You are a beautiful angel now.... You made me smile! Until we meet again’’, said another.

South Africa has some of the world’s highest rates of violent crime and many home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders.

Wow. :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
"I thought it was a burglar"! Shoot first and don't give anyone a chance to say "It's only me, honey"?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very sad indeed whatever happened. I do agree that it seems a bit odd that you'd shoot first and ask questions later but this is South Africa we're talking about, it has very high rates of crime and high rates of violent crime as well.

Johnuk123

Established Member
"I thought it was a burglar"! Shoot first and don't give anyone a chance to say "It's only me, honey"?

You obviously know little about this part of South Africa.

Why not stand there in the dark saying "I've got a gun and I'm not afraid to use it"

A sure-fire way to get yourself killed.

He lived within an armed cordon inside a deadly electrified fence,
we're not talking about a leafy English village here,

Last edited:

Oswyntail

Established Member
True - only the general picture from press reports. Not pleasant, not safe. But...
Why not stand there in the dark saying "I've got a gun and I'm not afraid to use it"

Or even "Hello?".Just how scared do you have to be to have a shoot first policy in your own home?
Especially as....

Johnuk123

Established Member
Just how scared do you have to be to have a shoot first policy in your own home?

Shoot first is the policy in the area as it has been proved that trying the diplomatic approach is often a death sentence.

The place has 6 times more gun crime than North America per population so you can't blame people for being hot on the trigger.

SS4

Established Member
And the result of the trial by press is guilty. Anyone surprised by this are reminded that the Pope is Jewish and there are no such things as night and Mondays
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If jumping to conclusions were an Olympic event the tabloids would win gold, setting a new record each year.

Ferret

Established Member
And the result of the trial by press is guilty. Anyone surprised by this are reminded that the Pope is Jewish and there are no such things as night and Mondays
If jumping to conclusions were an Olympic event the tabloids would win gold, setting a new record each year.

Well, everyone seems to be concluding that it was an accident, yet there are now reports that there have been domestic issues that the Police have dealt with previously at that address! A hell of a lot more to come out about this tragic case before anyone draws any conclusions about what happened:(

richw

Veteran Member

His neighbours have come out saying they were having a massive arguement which is why I dont believe much of the story that he thought it was an intruder.
Dont think he will have a leg to stand on in court

nedchester

Established Member
His neighbours have come out saying they were having a massive arguement which is why I dont believe much of the story that he thought it was an intruder.

Giggle!!! :lol:

westcoaster

Established Member

Wow all the way to post #10 for that to come out.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
His Lawyer claims he can't remember the incident as he was legless at the time

i was quite surprised nobody got it in already before I posted, my brother wants to know if he will have to foot the bill for the legal costs?

now come on. his defence are doing all they can to get a decent foot hold in this case.

richw

Veteran Member
Oscar pistouris has been acquitted of his murder trail after police found foot prints outside his house. . .

richw

Veteran Member
Apparently he's been let home to put his feet up now.
oscar pistouris got home and wanted to put up a new bathroom door, but his girlfriend was dead against it

Status
Not open for further replies.