• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oslo - Trondheim Line Flood Damage

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Scandinavia has definitely taken a battering with Storm Hans.

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.amp...s-railway-bridge-collapses-in-southern-norway

A critical railway bridge in Norway has collapsed into a river after a storm caused widespread damage to infrastructure.
The middle part of the Randklev Bridge in Ringebu, which is crossed by the Dovre line connecting Oslo and Trondheim, slid into the Lågen River on Monday morning.
It is the latest high-profile casualty of the storm, named Hans, which swept through the southern part of the country, causing record high river levels, landslides and mass evacuations.
The state-owned rail infrastructure company Bane Nor said it was investigating the extent of the damage to the 172.5 metre-long steel bridge built in 1957.
The railway company said it does not know when the bridge, which was closed at the time for safety reasons, will reopen and that damage has also occurred to other parts of the line.
While rail bosses said it was impossible to say exactly what had caused the damage, it happened in an “extreme flood situation”.
Track manager Sigbjørn Korsgård said: “There is no danger of the bridge drifting further down the river. But we want to get it out of the water as quickly as possible to ensure the flow of water in Lågen and to be able to put a bridge back over the river in place.”
The old railway bridge next to it, which has been converted into a road bridge, has remained standing, but will be closed for some time.

Korsgård said they were in the process of cordoning off the area and putting up a fence at three roads that lead to the bridge.

Heavy showers were forecast in the area for Tuesday, making conditions more challenging.

“It is demanding. There is still a lot of high water flow in Lågen, and the terrain is saturated with water, so it is a demanding situation,” said Korsgård.

Railway bridges undergo a general inspection every six years, the rail company said, adding that the Randklev bridge was last checked in 2019 and that in 2021 it was sandblasted and painted.

That looks like the Lillehammer to Trondheim section replaced by buses for the foreseeable, I'll be shocked if it takes less than a year.

I planned to do that route in March 2024, suspect I won't be doing now although it looks as if you can get round it by rail via the alternative route via Alvdal. Maybe the bus replacement section will be shortened by then too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
It looks like one of the two piers has collapsed or been washed away: it is not clear how badly the two spans that fell are damaged. I wouldn’t yet write off being able to to do the line next March, as they won’t muck about. The alternative route via the Rørosbanen has a much lower capacity and there is a distinct shortage, i.e. near complete, lack of suitable diesel locos available.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It looks like one of the two piers has collapsed or been washed away: it is not clear how badly the two spans that fell are damaged. I wouldn’t yet write off being able to to do the line next March, as they won’t muck about. The alternative route via the Rørosbanen has a much lower capacity and there is a distinct shortage, i.e. near complete, lack of suitable diesel locos available.
Possibly. But it looks a fairly large job even if they don't muck about. Although like you say, the spans don't look that damaged.

I noted there were only two trains to Trondheim that way per day. Thanks for the additional information on whether that can be increased! As it's part of a much wider trip to Bødo I suspect we will just end up on on the Rørosbanen or replacement bus.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Toby's tightrope there!

Indeed it seems the storm has done a fair number. I know some lines they are still struggling to get to them to inspect them.

JonasB

SJ started running trains from Trondheim to Oslo via Røros earlier this year using class 76s (bimode Flirts), but lack of electrification is a problem. Hopefully they can rent some diesels to at least get the Oslo-Trondheim night trains running.

Gloster

Established Member
Does the Rørosbanen usually only have a few trains per day all the way through?

Yes: around half-a-dozen passenger and a few freight trains as far as Røros, but only around three passenger and, I think, no regular freight north of there. The single-line sections between Røros and Støren, where the line joins the main Oslo-Trondheim Dovrebanen are pretty lengthy; around 20 km in places, I think. And it doesn’t have a particularly high line-speed. It is very much a minor cross-country line: gone are the days when Di3 ‘Roundnoses’ worked through day and night Oslo-Trondheim trains.

JonasB

Does the Rørosbanen usually only have a few trains per day all the way through?
If you mean all the way from Oslo to Trondheim. No, it has usually been no trains at all. But SJ introduced one daily Oslo-Trondheim via Røros and v.v. earlier this year, this has now been expanded to two daily trains in each direction.

There are a couple of Røros - Trondheim and v.v. 'commuter' workings as well. Until 1921 this was the main line to Trondheim, but narrow-gauge (3ft 6in) - it wasn't finally converted to standard gauge throughout until 1941 during the German occupation to relieve congestion on the Dovrebanen.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Thanks for the replies and interesting history there!

I read earlier something about a temporary bridge but I can't find it now. Will try find it and link.

Gloster

Established Member
But as they say in the item on Bane NOR’s website, the centre pier (actually one of two) has been damaged, although destroyed looks more accurate. Both Bane NOR and the roads authority have temporary bridges in store, but they haven’t yet been able to fully assess the damage.

EDIT (two days later as it has decided to merge): The latest from Bane Nor is that they are planning to give priority to goods traffic and some passenger trains may have to be replaced by buses. So it looks unlikely that extra trains will be sent that way: Dovrebanen passengers will probably be bussed.

Last edited:

JonasB

And SJ is now looking for diesel locos to be able to run the Oslo-Trondheim night trains via Røros.

Gloster

Established Member
c.20 kilometres is hardly a lengthy section, even at relatively slow speeds.

True, but is an awful lot of juggling to get trains through, particularly north of Røros: the line is over 350 km. long. For good measure some of the loops, particularly at the north end, may not be full length.

JonasB

Now the Røros line is closed as well, meaning that the only route from southern to northern Norway is via Sweden.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Now the Røros line is closed as well, meaning that the only route from southern to northern Norway is via Sweden.

n
Not surprising considering the rainfall.

Doesn't look as serious as the the bridge collapse, washouts like that can be repaired quite quickly.

Gloster

Established Member
Not surprising considering the rainfall.

Doesn't look as serious as the the bridge collapse, washouts like that can be repaired quite quickly.

Announcement about the Rørosbanen due at 08.00 on Friday. Announcement about the Dovrebanen at 12.00 on 15 September. And the Meråkerbanen, which comes into Trondheim from the east, is also closed due to the weather.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
What would the possibility be of SJ finding some diesel locomotives?
Out of interest, how does it work normally in event of a failure of one of their electrics, do they usually have to hire something in then?

Gloster

Established Member
Out of interest, how does it work normally in event of a failure of one of their electrics, do they usually have to hire something in then?

Not good. There aren’t many large diesels in Norway now: there are a few Di.8 (the type that went to Lackenby and Scunthorpe), but they are mostly regular standby locos. The Di.4 are fully occupied on the Nordlandsbanen to Bodø, while there are a few goods locos around. They might be able to borrow a few from Sweden, but these are very much goods locos. The main source is likely to be Nordic Re-Finance’s former Danish State Railways Class ME, but I am not sure how much auxiliary power they can provide. As at least two of the day-trains over the Dovrebanen are, I think EMU, I suspect that it will be what has been suggested: diversion with diesel haulage of the night trains and partial bus substitution of the rest.

Normally they have a few Di.8 dotted around the country for short-term substitution, while for longer ones they mostly use bus substitution: they can hire in diesels for pre-planned work. Goods is often seen as more important and efforts can be made to run it normally. But they do throw everything into getting things working again.

N.b. I am not as up to date with things as I was five years ago, but I expect that policy has not changed drastically.

JonasB

That's a very good question. My guess is that they are not that good, but good enough to be worth a try. I'd also guess that the the (T)MEs are the most likely option.

I don't know, but electric locos are easy to find.

Richard Scott

Established Member
There may be a few ex DSB ME1500s around. These have train supply too so might be a possibility?

CS2447

Thanks for that link . Rorors & Dovre were closed on Sun 6 th. Gardermoen line closed at Leirsund as River Leira has burst banks.
Bergen line major challenges between Geilo & Honefoss. 50 small landslides between Finse & Honefoss being repaired
Dovre Roros & Rauma lines all experienced landslides, used Google translate to go through that link
Just checked VY.NO for trains between Geilo & Honefoss they are running! So i dont know how relevant that article is
to the situation on the ground
Oslo to Honefoss is bus replacement as of 26/8 Bus F4 takes 51 mins then back on train

Last edited:

AndrewE

Established Member
If the original Randklev rail bridge is still seviceable (although converted to road use) what would be the chances of temporarily diverting the railway line back over it?
(Would still need diesel locos though, initially at least.)
Google earth https://www.google.com/maps/place/2630+Ringebu,+Norway/@61.5185109,10.1435161,222m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x466ae63c3a62d29f:0xb2ff43370fa85d7d!8m2!3d61.5291322!4d10.1458342!16s/g/121ffh5r?entry=ttu
seems to show approach tunnels, so presumably the line would have to be diverted back through that too... although it doesn't look very big on streetview!

Gloster

Established Member
If the original Randklev rail bridge is still seviceable (although converted to road use) what would be the chances of temporarily diverting the railway line back over it?
(Would still need diesel locos though, initially at least.)
Google earth https://www.google.com/maps/place/2630+Ringebu,+Norway/@61.5185109,10.1435161,222m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x466ae63c3a62d29f:0xb2ff43370fa85d7d!8m2!3d61.5291322!4d10.1458342!16s/g/121ffh5r?entry=ttu
seems to show approach tunnels, so presumably the line would have to be diverted back through that too... although it doesn't look very big on streetview!

The old bridge was replaced because it had a weight limit, so after over sixty years it would probably need extensive rebuilding to cope with even modern passenger trains. As you see from streetview the old tunnel is so close to the west end of the bridge that it would also have to be refurbished and even then there would probably be difficulties about hauling modern electric rolling-stock through it. Realistically, concentrating effort on rebuilding the new bridge is the best option.

If you check on banenor.no on Trafikkmeldinger, note that Ny oppdatering means ‘next update’.

JonasB

The old bridge was replaced because it had a weight limit, so after over sixty years it would probably need extensive rebuilding to cope with even modern passenger trains. As you see from streetview the old tunnel is so close to the west end of the bridge that it would also have to be refurbished and even then there would probably be difficulties about hauling modern electric rolling-stock through it.

I'm not sure what the weight limit is on the old bridge, but a class 73 is not that heavy so I would not be surprised if the old bridge can handle them. The bigger problem is that the old tunnel is from before the line was electrified and it's probably not that easy to fit a catenary in the tunnel.

Realistically, concentrating effort on rebuilding the new bridge is the best option.

Probably

And it would be really nice if Rørosbanen was electrified now.