• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oswestrys first train for 44 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
'Trains will once again be running from Oswestry Station on Friday for the first time since 1967.
Organisers say the new Cambrian Heritage Railways service may only be half a mile in length but represents a huge step forward in the eventual aim of seeing trains operating from the main line in Gobowen, as far as Llanyblodwel – a distance of eight-and-a-half miles.

The first stretch of fully restored line runs from Oswestry’s Victorian Station Building to the Middleton Road Bridge in the town.

Nigel Davies, chairman of Cambrian Heritage Railways, said: “This is a momentous day for both the Cambrian Heritage Railways and Oswestry itself.

“Everyone can now come along and enjoy all the hard work that has been on-going almost out of site behind the Station Building over the past 12 months or so.

“It is a testament to the voluntary effort as well as that of our Imagematch - sponsored workforce and something they should all be justly proud.”

Passenger services from Oswestry ceased as a part of the Beeching Cuts of the mid 1960s and the platform at the station was partly demolished in the late 1980s to allow freight traffic to pass through. This ended in 1988 and the line has remained out of use ever since.

Mr Davies said: “We are very lucky here to have the experience of operating our heritage line at Llynclys and all that experience has helped tremendously. Trains will be running as usual throughout the year.”

Services will begin from 11am on Good Friday through to 4pm at both Oswestry and Llynclys. The town’s Railway Museum, which has recently undergone a revamp, will also be open between 10am and 4pm'.

from an e mail I have been asked to circulate

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
that's great news... but there's a seperate section for "Preservation and heritage". Maybe a mod could move this there for you.

PinzaC55

The last time I went through Gobowen (a LOT of years ago!) there was still track to Oswestry. Is that still the case?

seagull

Great news indeed - now to re-open the Welshpool-Oswestry-Whitchurch link as well...

... well one can always live in hope :)

merlodlliw

Established Member
Great news indeed - now to re-open the Welshpool-Oswestry-Whitchurch link as well...

... well one can always live in hope :)

SCRUA
copy, less photos

today's event at Oswestry saw Jimmy Campbell get the first ticket to ride on the train from the station platform.

Diesel Telemon performed with the LMS brake. Some unfortunate vandalism to the track caused an initial delay to the 11am train but after things were put right and a test train ran through the section. The first public train got away at 11.28 to run from the station through to the cattle dock sidings.

Photos attached show Jimmy with his No.1 ticket (hardly a souvenir!), on the platform in the brake van and with the engine. Views of the track follow with the relain portion north of the reopened platform and the route to the south. Also a view of other SCRUA members in the brake van prior to being detrained for the test run.

A great day when the sun shone and a crowd turned out to see the train operate from the station. Buffers was open for refreshments staffed by CHR and the purpose of the station was again demonstrated. It is reported the trains remained busy all day.

Well done, at long last and here's hoping for more success and a further extended run.

I am told North Wales Rail, will put up photos next Tuesday, surprised the Society have not put any up yet, but I am sure they will.

Bob
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The last time I went through Gobowen (a LOT of years ago!) there was still track to Oswestry. Is that still the case?

Yes, but it as to cross the very busy Swansea to Birkenhead trunk road, the track still runs across this road, but this would be a major problem from Gobowen, no freight as used it for
years, due to traffic speed, & a truck road as well, it will never happen in my opinion

Last edited:

PinzaC55

Yes, but it as to cross the very busy Swansea to Birkenhead trunk road, the track still runs across this road, but this would be a major problem from Gobowen, no freight as used it for
years, due to traffic speed, & a truck road as well, it will never happen in my opinion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you mean by a level crossing? In any case if the track has never been taken up it should still have Grandfather Rights.

merlodlliw

Established Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you mean by a level crossing? In any case if the track has never been taken up it should still have Grandfather Rights.[/QUOTE]

It is a level crossing with flashing lights & drop down barriers, the main line to Wrexham had the road put over the line by a bridge. This trunk road which bypasses Oswestry was built about 20 or so years ago. The volume of traffic is enormous and was cut through countryside, the level crossing is near the old Old Army Camp at Park Hall, now the local Agricultural Showground.

The crossing infrastructure is decaying along with the track, the line was last used for lime stone freight. But yes it will a right of way.

Bob

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Do you mean by a level crossing? In any case if the track has never been taken up it should still have Grandfather Rights.

If you're on about the crossing that I think you are, then I've seen it discussed elsewhere online. There's no problem in principal with it being reused, as the line has never been formally closed. Therefore, the statutory powers for it are still in place. Lucky, lucky, lucky - I drove over it last year, and it is one very busy stretch of road.

merlodlliw

Established Member
If you're on about the crossing that I think you are, then I've seen it discussed elsewhere online. There's no problem in principal with it being reused, as the line has never been formally closed. Therefore, the statutory powers for it are still in place. Lucky, lucky, lucky - I drove over it last year, and it is one very busy stretch of road.

Due to the volume of traffic, if it were to be used, I am sure there would soon be a five mile tailback, I don't see the Highways Agency allowing it to reopen for passenger traffic, some freight only clause would soon be found. It also crosses the road to Lake Vyrnwy a couple of times without barriers or lights, suppose you had flagmen on duty here.

Bob

PinzaC55

Due to the volume of traffic, if it were to be used, I am sure there would soon be a five mile tailback, I don't see the Highways Agency allowing it to reopen for passenger traffic, some freight only clause would soon be found. It also crosses the road to Lake Vyrnwy a couple of times without barriers or lights, suppose you had flagmen on duty here.

Bob

It would be nothing to do with the Highways Agency. The railway was built under an Act Of Parliament and as long as it was never formally abandoned that still stands.
When the Welsh Highland Railway was reopened it included a number of OPEN (ungated) crossings over busy roads.
Thats the law.

mumrar

Established Member

Bob
Very little they can do, it's certainly not their decision to allow it. Legally, and historically, the road crossing represents where the railway has allowed a road to cross their route, not vice versa.

merlodlliw

Established Member
It would be nothing to do with the Highways Agency. The railway was built under an Act Of Parliament and as long as it was never formally abandoned that still stands.
When the Welsh Highland Railway was reopened it included a number of OPEN (ungated) crossings over busy roads.
Thats the law.

I suppose the Highways Agency would have some say, as it is a trunk road,I am sure they would oppose any discussed line sold off by Net Rail to a Society
with the intent of crossing such a trunk road. But time will tell. The WHR in fairness does not cross any road as busy as the Swansea Birkenhead at this point.
pics here http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm scroll down

PinzaC55

I suppose the Highways Agency would have some say, as it is a trunk road,I am sure they would oppose any discussed line sold off by Net Rail to a Society
with the intent of crossing such a trunk road. But time will tell. The WHR in fairness does not cross any road as busy as the Swansea Birkenhead at this point.
pics here http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm scroll down

In the case of the Welsh Highland it needs to be remembered that the railway had been entirely disused and lifted for many years. If the Highways Agency held so much influence you would expect them to have demanded that any "new" crossings would have full barriers, but at least one WHR crossing is at a busy road "T" junction and only has flashing lights.
Similarly I used to volunteeer on the Wensleydale and one crossing (Aiskew) is on a busy , fairly fast, road and only has lights but I can't remember hearing any suggestion from the HA that it should be upgraded to full barriers even though the lights regularly failed to operate properly.
In the event of the line being operated to Gobowen I would expect the maximum service frequency to be one return train every 1.5 hours so the barriers might be closed 2 minutes every 45 minutes - hardly a serious inconvenience.

Bonzodog

A couple of points that might be relevant. The CHR have had expert advice saying that grandfather rights still apply. See http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2010/10/18/oswestry-heritage-railway-could-cross-trunk-roads/
and secondly, the CHR actually doesn't own the trackbed. NR sold the route (for a nominal sum IIRC) to Shropshire County Council (now Shropshire Council) who have allowed the CHR to start the restoration and to run trains.

This, I suspect, will make all the difference as far as the Highways Agency are concerned.

Last edited:

PinzaC55

One possible solution would be for the crossing to be replaced by a nice new bridge, with the Highways Agency footing the entire bill. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.