• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out of court settlement figure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerrySC

My brother: is commuting mon to fri between Wickford and London Liverpool Street on a Greater Anglia (GA) season ticket & Oyster card, heavily subsidised by TfL. He was approached at Liverpool Street to show his ticket and was told He had evaded a GA fare, whilst He gets a 75% discount from GA on journeys from Wickford to Shenfield, he does not get a discount from GA between Shenfield and Liverpool Street: that portion of the journey is subsided by TfL. In short he arrived at Liverpool St on a GA train that day and had, in effect, evaded. What he hadn’t done is evade intentionally.

My brother has been cooperative throughout their enquiries and GA are offering to settle out of court as a result.. sounds great but: 1. The settlement figure is based on the most expensive option: purchase of 2 single tickets per day for 5 days a week minus holidays for the last 14 months; and 2. This out of court option does not give him the option/right to prove this was an error by providing proof his mental health (at the time he started commuting) was poor following trauma: resulting in poor concentration and inability to take in and retain new information. Proof of which he can obtain from the health sector and, potentially but not preferably, his employer.

The GA guy he met admitted the variables in fares generated by reciprocal arrangements between operators was a minefield. So how do they get away with fining someone full whack who has no criminal record and was not in the frame of mind to understand he was ill, or the right frame of mind to interpret and take in complex Ts & Cs, when he started this regular commute?

Makes for an interesting contrast with GAs efforts to make train travel accessible - a condition of their operating license - for those with physical and sensory impairments, & HMRCs stance on taking mental health into account when deciding whether to fine people not submitting their returns on time.

I understand fare evasion is a big issue, but unintentionally failing to cover the entire cost of your journey because you were traumatised when you started making the journey is very different: on what grounds do they justify not taking such circumstances into account? (Burden of proof on my brother of course, but that’s not an issue.) He certainly shouldn’t have to go to court for that chance to have such a significant mitigating factor taken into account.

Preferred outcome: pay their admin costs + 1000 (which is just over what he would have paid on a season ticket for the ‘evaded’ element of the journey). Current outcome: pay £6k including costs in 10 days.. for making a mistake when mentally ill.

Kicking a man whilst he’s down is a term that springs to mind. Sadly I can hear he doesn’t have the mental strength to fight this and is scared of losing his job if he tried and failed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Refer to what happened to Peter Barnett, where compensation (in criminal proceedings, note, might be different in civil proceedings) was restricted to a figure based on weekly fares (not singles).

During his trial the prosecution alleged he avoided nearly £20,000 in fares but a judge later accepted Barnett’s claim that he evaded only £5,892.70 based on the price of a weekly ticket.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
It's up to the OP and his brother but the "I was in truma" excuse has an inherent problem in that one hand the OP brothers has been well enough to hold down a job for 14 months but not well enough to purchase the correct ticket for his commute?

TerrySC

It's up to the OP and his brother but the "I was in truma" excuse has an inherent problem in that one hand the OP brothers has been well enough to hold down a job for 14 months but not well enough to purchase the correct ticket for his commute?

Yes that's an understandable challenge but this was in the immediate aftermath of the trauma and he very nearly didn't continue to hold down that job as a result. Trauma eases with time; support at work helped, as did therapy. Not re checking t's and c's didnt help.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I believe a season ticket from Wickford probably covering all zones.

We need to get this aspect clarified before offering any advice. I'm not a London ticketing expert but quite a bit doesn't stack with what info we do have.

TfL's website states that Oyster is valid on GA services from Shenfield.Though if you were travelling from Wickford you would have to get out at Shenfield and physically tap in with the card to continue your journey. If he was in the habit of riding into central London and then exiting on his Oyster at Liverpool St then surely this lack entry would have been flagged with TfL ages ago?

RJ

Established Member
TfL staff are told that the staff Oyster is not valid on Greater Anglia services to/from Shenfield. A letter comes with the staff pass that explains this.

The concession options offered are very generous - free travel on TfL Rail Shenfield to Liverpool Street or 75% reimbursement on a season ticket from Wickford to London Terminals.

People who still find a way to abuse these privileges are asking for trouble - this sounds like a case of the TfL pass working the barriers at Liverpool Street and a lack of adhoc inspections on GA being seen as an opportunity to use the fast trains illegitimately.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A couple of observations:

GA has offered an out of court settlement based on your brother travelling with them for the past year and not having a valid ticket. The out of court settlement effectively puts GA in the position it would have been in had your brother purchased daily tickets. Why should they lose out on revenue?

If your brother qualifies for discounted travel as a result of being employed by TfL I wouldn't want to do anything to put this in jeopardy. There is always a risk that TfL will be made aware of the situation which could then be problematic from an employment point of view.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
If he is a TfL employee and has a staff pass then that explains why he's been able to exit at Liverpool St without any consequences.

Which makes Hadders advice more pertinent. The best advice is really accept it and ask if they'll take monthly instalments.

TerrySC

If he is a TfL employee and has a staff pass then that explains why he's been able to exit at Liverpool St without any consequences.

Which makes Hadders advice more pertinent. The best advice is really accept it and ask if they'll take monthly instalments.

Thank you.. it is confusing to understand (his travel arrangements I mean). I just know he's very honest. He is trying to arrange payment in full as they won't accept a payment arrangement. I just know he was in a mess when he got the paperwork. I wish he'd not made any major decisions at the time but job was offered before trauma happened.
We need to get this aspect clarified before offering any advice. I'm not a London ticketing expert but quite a bit doesn't stack with what info we do have.

TfL's website states that Oyster is valid on GA services from Shenfield.Though if you were travelling from Wickford you would have to get out at Shenfield and physically tap in with the card to continue your journey. If he was in the habit of riding into central London and then exiting on his Oyster at Liverpool St then surely this lack entry would have been flagged with TfL ages ago?

I believe he exits & changes at Shenfield from what he explained.

TerrySC

A couple of observations:

GA has offered an out of court settlement based on your brother travelling with them for the past year and not having a valid ticket. The out of court settlement effectively puts GA in the position it would have been in had your brother purchased daily tickets. Why should they lose out on revenue?

If your brother qualifies for discounted travel as a result of being employed by TfL I wouldn't want to do anything to put this in jeopardy. There is always a risk that TfL will be made aware of the situation which could then be problematic from an employment point of view.

They've reassured him it can be sorted without employer knowledge but I disagree a settlement figure based on 2 singles a day is fair. A daily/weekly return, yes. Season ticket: no.

TerrySC

TfL staff are told that the staff Oyster is not valid on Greater Anglia services to/from Shenfield. A letter comes with the staff pass that explains this.

The concession options offered are very generous - free travel on TfL Rail Shenfield to Liverpool Street or 75% reimbursement on a season ticket from Wickford to London Terminals.

People who still find a way to abuse these privileges are asking for trouble - this sounds like a case of the TfL pass working the barriers at Liverpool Street and a lack of adhoc inspections on GA being seen as an opportunity to use the fast trains illegitimately.

Definitely generous. But intentional evasion is not his style. Trying to carry on when he can't think straight is his style.. tough lesson!

Haywain

Veteran Member
They've reassured him it can be sorted without employer knowledge but I disagree a settlement figure based on 2 singles a day is fair. A daily/weekly return, yes. Season ticket: no.
You need to recognise who is in the position of strength here. Challenging the figure that they have asked for may ultimately lead to a lower 'bill' but with a court case and the employer becoming aware.

RJ

Established Member
Preferred outcome: pay their admin costs + 1000 (which is just over what he would have paid on a season ticket for the ‘evaded’ element of the journey). Current outcome: pay £6k including costs in 10 days.. for making a mistake when mentally ill.

Kicking a man whilst he’s down is a term that springs to mind. Sadly I can hear he doesn’t have the mental strength to fight this and is scared of losing his job if he tried and failed.

Definitely generous. But intentional evasion is not his style. Trying to carry on when he can't think straight is his style.. tough lesson!

If your brother intended to pay the correct fare to use Greater Anglia through to Liverpool Street, he would have paid full price for a Wickford to Stratford season ticket and claimed the 75% back from TfL. Using an Oyster card (or misusing a staff pass!) to get through the barriers in London, whilst not paying for most or all of the journey over a long period is a recognised type of evasion.

To be honest, the "preferred outcome" of a £1000 payment to Greater Anglia is all wrong. It's of no relevance to them that your brother's employment offers reimbursement, they are owed the full fare. So try multiplying that by about 4 as a best case scenario. If Greater Anglia are happy to let it pass and offer the season ticket rate 14 months down the line, I'd be very surprised. I would like to say the worst they can do is say no, but they can take the evidence to court. If your brother is convicted, he could get a criminal record which would have to be declared to TfL and could well lose a lot more than £6k in the long term.

For the sake of a £2k difference, it may not be worth risking making too much noise about this. And in future, he should either take the TfL rail service between Shenfield and Liverpool Street or go through the proper process to get a ticket to cover the whole journey on Greater Anglia. I'm not a lawyer however and I think proper legal advice should be sought if you want to try and reduce the liability.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
What precise tickets were held?

By the sounds of it, a public rate Wickford to Shenfield season ticket (the 75% discount is an employer reimbursement) and a TfL staff Oyster Card.

The staff Oyster card is valid between Shenfield and Liverpool Street on TfL Rail and on Greater Anglia between Stratford and Liverpool Street (interavailability).

cuccir

Established Member
Yes that's an understandable challenge but this was in the immediate aftermath of the trauma and he very nearly didn't continue to hold down that job as a result. Trauma eases with time; support at work helped, as did therapy. Not re checking t's and c's didnt help.

I knew someone who on a none rail matter was in a similar situation: they were facing a charge where mental health difficulties had affected their actions in the incident in question, but at a time when they were just about managing to function and hold down a job. The charges were dropped (because, frankly, the person had done nothing wrong) but it did go as far an initial adjourned hearing and they did get extensive legal advice.

I only heard the advice second hand so can't recall the full details but essentially I think the person's lawyer did highlight Gareth's objection as something that would be likely to be raised in court by the opposition lawyers, and would be a difficult one to overcome. I would consider this an issue in wanting to rely on a defence in court based on mental health difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.