• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out-of-gauge traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Was that a 2-6-4T at BF? Would that be there on a pick-up goods?
An Ivatt 2MT 2-6-2T I suspect. Llandudno Junction had an allocation and when they replaced the Ivatt/Stanier 3MT 2-6-2Ts they were popular as, despite being theoretically less powerful, they were more capable locos.

And they became the regular choice for the branch freight.

Other delights I noticed on the film were the Crosville bus crew watching the proceedings, the condemned coach parked in the goods yard (why?) and the old lady wandering casually through the winching operation at 6.48 ! Health & Safety? Never heard of it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I wonder how many other (more regular) loads were designed expressly to conform to the loading gauge.
Not a UK example, but Boeing 737 fuselages are transported by rail in the States. I don't know if that was a consideration when sizing them, but I believe the Shuttle rocket boosters were designed to fit within the rather larger gauge available there.

Gloster

Established Member
Was that a 2-6-4T at BF? Would that be there on a pick-up goods?

I agree that it is more likely to be a 2-6-2T. It might have been waiting to collect the trolley and remaining vehicles once the trolley had been reassembled after the transformer was clear of the tracks.

The recent thread about buffer stops missed the option of using a 4F as a catcher! Presumably the train was fully fitted, so stopping a breakaway would not have been reliant on the 4F's brake power alone.

I think it had a fitted head, the coach and first van, but the rest was unbraked. I am pretty sure the trolley was unbraked.

Last edited:

Western Lord

Not a UK example, but Boeing 737 fuselages are transported by rail in the States. I don't know if that was a consideration when sizing them, but I believe the Shuttle rocket boosters were designed to fit within the rather larger gauge available there.
The 737 long predates the current rail transport operation. The basic aircraft was a 1960's design, derived from the fuselage section previously used for the 727 and 707. Originally the entire aircraft was built in Seattle, but it was then decided to build the fuselage at what was then Boeing's Wichita plant and transport them by rail to the Renton plant in Seattle. The Wichita plant was sold off to Spirit Aerosystems who retained the fuselage build contract.

Gloster

Established Member
The 737 long predates the current rail transport operation. The basic aircraft was a 1960's design, derived from the fuselage section previously used for the 727 and 707. Originally the entire aircraft was built in Seattle, but it was then decided to build the fuselage at what was then Boeing's Wichita plant and transport them by rail to the Renton plant in Seattle. The Wichita plant was sold off to Spirit Aerosystems who retained the fuselage build contract.

Didn’t a load of them end up in a river following a derailment a couple of years ago. I think I saw a photo looking down into a gorge of a right mess, but admit to having no great interest in railways over there.

EDIT: Found it. At the beginning of July 2014 three 737 fuselages went into (or nearly into) the Clark Fork River near Rivulet, Montana.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.