• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oven not working, anybody know what it might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I tried to use my fan oven this evening, but it wasn't working. The fan won't come on and the temperature light isn't illuminating either, but the clock still works. I've tried resetting the clock and that didn't do anything.

I last used it on Thursday and it worked as normal. Does anyone know what the fault(s) might be please?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PauloDavesi

Try switching off at the main.
Leave for a couple of minutes, then reset the clock.

If that doesn’t work the heating element may have failed.
(Posted 20:38 dec 15th)

furnessvale

Established Member
Has the clock got some form of battery backup? If so, it will keep going for a while giving you the false impression that power is still reaching the oven. I would seriously consider the possibility that no power is getting to the oven and I would be looking at fuses etc further back down the line.

Established Member
Thanks everyone.

I turned the oven off and left it for a while, and the clock was still working when I turned it back on. I've not had a look at the element yet, but I will now and let you all know.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks everyone.

I turned the oven off and left it for a while, and the clock was still working when I turned it back on. I've not had a look at the element yet, but I will now and let you all know.
What make of oven is it mate?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just checked that now, I put the model number in and it's not even listed.

I think it was installed in 2012, so it might just be worn out.
Maybe it’s time to hit Gumtree...
I put my knee through a customers ceramic hob last year (don’t ask). I managed to find a second hand one in Plymouth for £50 that they were happy with (to repair theirs would have been about £250).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Maybe it’s time to hit Gumtree...
I put my knee through a customers ceramic hob last year (don’t ask). I managed to find a second hand one in Plymouth for £50 that they were happy with (to repair theirs would have been about £250).

You've got some loyal customers there - I'd not be accepting a random used item if you were at fault.

Established Member
I don’t know much about ovens, but this seems to be a similar problem:
https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/foru...baumatic-osf60oven-no-power-to-oven-and-grill
Having just looked at various other sites though I’m not really sure.
Could be something simple but it might be worth getting someone to test the thermostat maybe?

Thanks mate.

I think to be honest, given the age of the oven, I might as well just buy another one. If that doesn't work then I haven't got a clue.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You've got some loyal customers there - I'd not be accepting a random used item if you were at fault.
Yes I have. It was a friends son who never cooks anything anyway, and they (and he) said he’d be fine with it. It had only turned up on Gumtree because it was the wrong colour for the new kitchen that the people who were selling had just fitted.
It was a lucky moment for me and was actually better than the one he’d inherited with the flat. Anyone else and I’d have had to replace it with a brand new one. I was lucky there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes I have. It was a friends son who never cooks anything anyway, and they (and he) said he’d be fine with it. It had only turned up on Gumtree because it was the wrong colour for the new kitchen that the people who were selling had just fitted.
It was a lucky moment for me and was actually better than the one he’d inherited with the flat. Anyone else and I’d have had to replace it with a brand new one. I was lucky there.

Fair enough, lucky there I guess.

I broke one in a rented flat ages ago (pan storage cupboard was above it and I dropped a heavy frying pan on it) and had to obtain the spare at some cost to replace it (it wasn't hard to fit) as had they noticed this could have been far more awkward.

DelW

Established Member
I think that electric ovens often have their own circuit, due to the high current draw (30A IIRC?). Have you checked the trip switches (or fuses) on the main distribution board? As furnessvale suggested, the clock may well have battery or similar backup to tide it over power cuts, so the fact it's still working may not prove there's power to the unit.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I recall my old one had a very odd control panel and it would be easy to enable the timer for the oven which would stop it working. Might be worth powering it off entirely for a few minutes to fully reset this to rule it out? The clock reset may not be enough.

Established Member
I recall my old one had a very odd control panel and it would be easy to enable the timer for the oven which would stop it working. Might be worth powering it off entirely for a few minutes to fully reset this to rule it out? The clock reset may not be enough.

I think that electric ovens often have their own circuit, due to the high current draw (30A IIRC?). Have you checked the trip switches (or fuses) on the main distribution board? As furnessvale suggested, the clock may well have battery or similar backup to tide it over power cuts, so the fact it's still working may not prove there's power to the unit.

I turned the oven off completely for a while and plugged it back in, the clock still works.

petergb

Is it anything like this? (I have something quite similar, only with 6 buttons)

Note that at 19 seconds (at the point when he 'mends' it) an extra symbol lights up on the display, looking like a casserole with wisps of steam. This indicates the power is on to the oven (+fan +light).

Power to the oven can be toggled between "on always", and "on the timer". On my 6 button version this is done by pressing a single button, which from memory* I think is the one with the "bell" symbol - keep trying until the casserole lights up.

The SMEG timer ovens are noted for 'slipping' back into "on the timer" mode - I think they may even default back to "on the timer" if mains power has been interrupted.

(afterthought/edit: so for once, "turning it off and back on again" doesn't mend it - it might even be sabotaging you!)

(*very sorry not to be more precise, I'm in PBO and the oven's in KNA so I can't just go to check at the moment ...doing this from memory)

Hope this helps...
Peter.

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
I turned the oven off completely for a while and plugged it back in, the clock still works.
Just to go back a bit. Did the clock still work when all power to the unit had been turned off? If it did, you have proved that the clock has its own back up power (battery?), but you have not proved that power is getting to the unit. If it stopped but restarted when you reapplied power, you have proved that power is getting to the unit and your problem is internal to the unit.

The fact that the fan, internal light and element have all stopped is significant and, depending on how things are wired, it indicates a failure of power supply rather than, say, a failed element.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It could be as something as simple as the dial not working. Have you checked all functions of the oven and not just the clock ?

dgl

Established Member
30A or 40A for a cooker. If the fan is not working and the element is not getting hot, but the timer is illuminated then I would guess the fault would lie either in the wiring going to the knob, the knob itself or the controller/timer for the oven. A good test would be to see if the oven comes on when activated by the timer as it could be a stuck relay/contactor that switches it from automatic to manual control.
Also the fact that neither the fan nor the element seems to be working pretty much rules out the element as the problem, and if the timer is illuminated then the fues/MCB/RCBO must not have blown/tripped.

There are some fault finding steps if you actually get into the meat of the thing but there would be hazardous voltages present so it would be best left to someone who knows what they are doing.

petergb

After the power's been off, you need to go into Manual mode before the oven will work 'normally' again. It doesn't come straight back on into Manual mode after a power cut, that could be dangerous.

To get back into Manual mode (assuming 6 button timer) Try the 4th button along, the one with the hand. Hopefully that should illuminate the 'casserole' symbol on the display (centre top, above the dot), and you might even hear the quiet clonk of a chunky double pole relay. Now try the oven.

Hope this helps,
P.

pdq

I think it was installed in 2012, so it might just be worn out.
<8 years should be nothing for an oven. My Hotpoint was installed in 2004 and, apart from a new element or two, is still fine (tempting fate!) and in no worse cosmetic condition than it was when a year old.

+1 for checking the timer is in manual mode. Otherwise feels like a controls problem. When the element on my oven fails (and you can't tell by looking) the fan still works. A sparky might be a good bet if you're not confident.
Does it have a grill as well? If so, is it operated by a different control?

daddy_badger

@507021 regardless if it looks fine, you can test the element for continuity with a multi meter. I cannot stress how important it is to isolate the mains supply to the appliance and if in doubt consult an electrician.

If you get a near 0ohm reading your element will need replacing.

DaleCooper

Established Member
@507021 regardless if it looks fine, you can test the element for continuity with a multi meter. I cannot stress how important it is to isolate the mains supply to the appliance and if in doubt consult an electrician.

If you get a near 0ohm reading your element will need replacing.

It's unlikely that the terminals are accessible without a fair bit of dismantling and if you get a reading near 0 Ohms then it would probably have blown the fuse. This is always assuming a multimeter is available which is often not the case.

dgl

Established Member
It's unlikely that the terminals are accessible without a fair bit of dismantling .

On a modern fan oven where the fan is behind/within the element accessing it is usually via a separate panel just for the element held in by only a few screws. Quite easy to get at really.

Belperpete

Established Member
If the clock switches off when you turn off the main wall switch, and turns back on when you switch on at the wall, then that indicates that power is getting to the cooker.

My hunch would be that you have had a brief power outage (or someone inadvertently turned the power off at the main wall switch), and the timer has gone into the manual or off mode described by previous posters. With my cooker (which has a 3 button timer), it is necessary to press the + button on the timer after a power outage, in order to use the cooker. Other makes may need a different button pressing, as per previous postings. The other controls have no effect until this has been done. As a last resort, try each of the timer buttons in turn.

It is also possible that the timer has "locked up", in which case doing a complete reset of the timer may restore things.

Does your oven have a plug-in meat thermostat? If so, it might be worth trying the oven with it plugged in, and plugging and unplugging it a couple of times.

It might also be worth pulling the cooker out and checking if there are any fuses on the back that could be changed.

Other than that, unless you are a competent electrician, there is not a lot you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.