• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overcrowding on cross country 1128 Exeter to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven.horsfal

Stood on the 1128 Exeter to Edinburgh, full and standing from there with about 100 left behind , a complete shambles aspnly a 4 car 220

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 9

Write to your MP, it's the DfT that make all the decisions about allocations of rolling stock.

Appears there’s an issue with reservations being allocated twice on certain services today - that’s all I’m willing to say.

Master29

Established Member
Seems to be the norm on many Cross country services west of Bristol right now.

busken

Is there actually a limit as to how many standing passengers are allowed in a carriage? Buses have a limit of seated and standing passengers on safety grounds, does this not apply to trains.

40fan

I travelled on the 1008 from Stoke to Bournemouth yesterday. Full and standing on arrival at Stoke. I did not get a seat until Wolverhampton. 4 coaches is not enough

Frequently used to happen on a CrossCountry service from Stoke-on-Trent to Manchester Piccadilly, just after 8am every weekday morning. If it was a double train, no problem. However, they started running it as a single, with standing down the ailse being the only option. When the train arrived at Macclesfield, there was zero chance of more than a handful of people squeezing onboard. Most (~200) were left on the platform.

fishwomp

Stood on the 1128 Exeter to Edinburgh, full and standing from there with about 100 left behind , a complete shambles aspnly a 4 car 220

Today there's engineering and they're going route Westbury - but the GWR are avoiding Bristol. Instead of 31 services from Exeter to Bristol TM today, there are 10.

There is a bus replacement from Weston-super-mare for all things GWR - but the journey time of that and connection time is slightly worse than the diverted XC. Think we're seeing people prefer train to replacement bus..

irish_rail

Established Member
I travelled on the 1008 from Stoke to Bournemouth yesterday. Full and standing on arrival at Stoke. I did not get a seat until Wolverhampton. 4 coaches is not enough
On the plus side thats less than an hour standing, yet on the Plymouth route, people have to stand for more than 2 hours or are simply left behind. The 5 car sets should be prioritised for Ply to Edinburgh route at very least with the 4 cars used more on the Bournemouth route. Its far from ideal, but whilst we live in a country where perfectly good HSTs are being withdrawn without replacement then its about being pragmatic.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
On the plus side thats less than an hour standing, yet on the Plymouth route, people have to stand for more than 2 hours or are simply left behind. The 5 car sets should be prioritised for Ply to Edinburgh route at very least with the 4 cars used more on the Bournemouth route. Its far from ideal, but whilst we live in a country where perfectly good HSTs are being withdrawn without replacement then its about being pragmatic.
Doesn't make a difference. The Bournemouth route, particularly between Reading and Birmingham, also suffers chronic overcrowding.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
No, no limit.

Perhaps the query was about Voyagers rather than more generally; but I've certainly been on a Pendo when the TM announced that Coach (x) was overloaded and could passengers move to adjacent coaches. He went on to say that the train couldn't move because of a safety interlock. Spoke afterwards to someone with knowledge and they said that Pendos do have some detection of too many people. Thinking about it, might be to protect the tilt.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Perhaps the query was about Voyagers rather than more generally; but I've certainly been on a Pendo when the TM announced that Coach (x) was overloaded and could passengers move to adjacent coaches. He went on to say that the train couldn't move because of a safety interlock. Spoke afterwards to someone with knowledge and they said that Pendos do have some detection of too many people. Thinking about it, might be to protect the tilt.
Pendolinos have weight sensors because of the tilt. Too heavy and they can't continue unless the tilt is locked out.

dk1

Veteran Member
OK, thanks.
London & the SE along with many other large cities would never function if there was a limit & who would enforce it? If you think about it one of the worst is the tube & that’s in a tunnel deep underground.

Mike Machin

It’s just as bad on the Services to and from Bournemouth. Because of the terrible rolling stock and overcrowding on the two routes I used to travel on - Southampton Central to Cardiff and Southampton Parkway to Birmingham - I have been forced to completely stop using rail as a means of transport.

The only journeys I now undertake by train are Oslo - Skien, the Watercress Line, and the occasional trundle around Eastleigh Lakeside Railway.

In the days when I used Cross-Country I frequently had to stand from Birmingham NS to Reading, and on Fridays sometimes for the whole journey. My Electric car is now quicker and more comfortable.

gazzaa2

It's always those awful 4 cars with poor carriage capacity. The Edinburgh-Plymouth route in particular goes through so many big cities and tourist hubs, 4 cars is a joke. Especially during holiday seasons or weekends.

In general though unless a train is going to/from London the carriage capacity on the entire network is pretty much lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.